Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noob question, Do I have a faulty socket?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline uktaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Noob question, Do I have a faulty socket?
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:28:07 AM »
I have been using an Edirol R-09HR for a while now, using the onboard mics for local shows. I was fortunate to receive Church Audios STC - 9000 with the clip on mics for Christmas.

After reading a few beginners posts I tried connecting the battery box to the Edirol via the Line In rather than the Mic.

However, I can only get a reading on one channel unless I pull the jack plug slightly out of the socket, then I get a reading on both channels when I record!

Have I got a faulty socket or jack plug or is it something far more obvious that I'm just not seeing?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Noob question, Do I have a faulty socket?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:07:50 PM »
Hi - exactly which plug and socket is at fault here? On the R09 HR, or the pre-amp?

I would say the socket is most likely at fault.

Offline uktaper

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:35:25 PM »
It's on the Edirol.

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:39:42 PM »
Easy enough to verify then.  Does the problem still exist when you plug it into 'mic in' on the R09HR?  If not, then it's a faulty 'line in' jack on the R09HR.  If so, then it's a faulty male connector on the interconnect.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
I have been using an Edirol R-09HR for a while now, using the onboard mics for local shows. I was fortunate to receive Church Audios STC - 9000 with the clip on mics for Christmas.

After reading a few beginners posts I tried connecting the battery box to the Edirol via the Line In rather than the Mic.

However, I can only get a reading on one channel unless I pull the jack plug slightly out of the socket, then I get a reading on both channels when I record!

Have I got a faulty socket or jack plug or is it something far more obvious that I'm just not seeing?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Plug a set of headphones into the output of the preamp and talk into the mics you should have a seperate left and right.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline uktaper

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:27:34 PM »
I've tried the headphone test and there is a discernable volume difference between Right and Left to the point that even with the volume at full it's hard to discern one channel.

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 06:07:34 AM »
There's lots on info on this, but one obvious problem is that some male plugs have a "shoulder" on them, preventing the barrel seating properly.  See above - if it happens on both mic and line, it's probably the plug.  However, the build quality of the Edirol is so appalling it is equally likely to be the unit itself. 

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 06:32:02 AM »
However, the build quality of the Edirol is so appalling it is equally likely to be the unit itself.

The R09 had quality issues, for sure.  However, to be fair, to date there have been no systemic quality problems reported with the R09HR, which of course is a different product than the R-09.  In fact, the vast majority of users here on TS.com have reported a high level of satisfaction with this product.  To never expect any issues ever to appear out in taper-land is a little unrealistic.  Stuff happens.

Personally, I'm not ready to throw the R-09HR under the bus just because one user reports a potential problem with a jack.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:38:06 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline uktaper

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 11:06:48 AM »
However, the build quality of the Edirol is so appalling it is equally likely to be the unit itself.

The R09 had quality issues, for sure.  However, to be fair, to date there have been no systemic quality problems reported with the R09HR, which of course is a different product than the R-09.  In fact, the vast majority of users here on TS.com have reported a high level of satisfaction with this product.  To never expect any issues ever to appear out in taper-land is a little unrealistic.  Stuff happens.

Personally, I'm not ready to throw the R-09HR under the bus just because one user reports a potential problem with a jack.
Me neither.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »
I've tried the headphone test and there is a discernable volume difference between Right and Left to the point that even with the volume at full it's hard to discern one channel.

So you have put the preamp on full.. Plugged a pair of headphones into the OUTPUT of the preamp and talked into one mic at a time keeping the other mic away from the mic you are talking into? Please do this test if there is still a problem it is with my gear if not then the problem is with your edirol.
You should hear one mic in one ear and the other in the other ear. If you dont then the problem is in the mics or the preamp. If you do then the problem could be the cable connecting the r09 or the input jack. Also try plugging the mics into the mic input with the preamp connected and Turing off the plug in power on the mic input that should get you a normal signal as there is no way you have two bad jacks on your R09.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com