Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: phantom power for DPA 4061s?  (Read 18300 times)

Offline listener2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: phantom power for DPA 4061s?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 05:04:54 PM »
I just ordered two MicroDot female connectors from DPA directly so I can mount them in my own battery box.  Case will be solved.

Also if I had to replace the Microdot male plugs originally attached to the DPA 4060 mics cables, I would not remove the connectors themselves but would leave them intact with the cable and just cut off a few inches long from the mic cable.  Then I would use those shortened Microdot cables to solder on any other chosen more compatible connectors that I choose.  This avoids having to need a tool to resolder or reinstall the Microdot plug connectors to a new cable.  Just use the one they are on by cutting off the original mic cable leaving some slack.

Anyway, my case is hopefully over.  As soon as I get my female Microdot jacks, I will build then into a small 9V battery box with high quality components and be done with it.

Thanks all for all your suggestions!

Offline listener2

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »
Thanks mshilarious for the info on the part numbers.  I will check them out and submit an RFQ to that distributor just to see how much they are charging for these jacks compared to DPA Microphones Inc, themselves.
I've since received my expensice $20/each DPA microdot jacks from DPA Microphones Inc.  They definitely do over charge for their products and accessories I must say.

I've just assembled my DPA 4060 9Volt powered battery box using the two microdot jacks and have been using it for a couple of test recordings on an Edirol R-09 and on a Sony PCM-D50 recorder.  I basically have used the DPA battery box schematic configuration provided on this forum thread earlier.  Except I used a 33uf Nichicon Audio Quality electrolytic capacitors  instead of the 10ufd capacitor specified, since I did nothave any good quality 10ufd caps left in my parts box.  I just ordered 10 more 10ufd 35v Nichicon audio caps from mouser electronics.  When I get them I will swap out the 33uf cap and put in the 10uf cap and that will be it.
The 33uf cap allows a wee bit too much sub bass boost to leak through in my couple of test recordingings, so I believe that the 10uf cap ought to be just right as DPA specifies in their schematic.  Cheers all!

Offline listener2

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 04:46:31 PM »
No, I don't want a bass rolloff.  I just wanted to tame the slight emphasis I heard in my test recordings of some deep bass peakiness I detected.  I have swapped out the 33uf caps with 10uf caps that I found in my parts from Radio Shack no less, and they sound better balanced now.  No over emphasis in the sub bass area that I detected before.  They sound more accurate to what I perceived hearing live vs the recorded version now.  Anyone making the battery box for their DPA 406x mics, use the 10uf capacitor value is my recommendation.  Of course this may vary depending on what device you are using it with and the devices input impedance and response characteristics, however, for my devices (Already mentioned in prev post) I find the 10uf cap value is just about right. 

Offline listener2

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 09:22:18 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean that I may be hearing the differences between the quality of the capacitor components more than the effect of the capacitance value change.  I did switch headphones from the Bose Triports (which has a strong bass output) to my Senheiser HD600 which has a less emphasis in the bass and it sounds much more balanced. 
I used to design and build high end speaker systems and crossover networks years ago...  I know on paper and equations and graphing responses using software shows minor slopes and response changes on paper, but I tell you they make a big audible difference (even a .1 ohm resistor) put in place on a crossover network would be enough to attenuate a spectrum to hear a marked difference when A/B'ing them.  It is just not the one frequency you are attempting to attenuate or un-anttenuate that will change, it is the entire frequency spectrum of energy that changes shape along with the value change (no matter how small it may seem on calculations).  It changes the character of the sound.  Anyway, I did/do hear a difference ever so slightly in favor of less heavy bass with the 10uf capcitor I really believe.  BTW, even though I said it was Radio Shack capacitors, the caps are made by Xicon. I don't think they are that bad for electrolytics (which I prefer sometimes over the more exotic audiophile grade polyester/polystyrene/metalized, whatever caps that sometimes sound too sharp and bright).  I realise also here that we are speaking about low level voltage and higher impedances here when dealing with these low level preamp signals versus high current higher voltage speaker (power amp level) lower impedance realm, but my point is I think it makes a difference.  Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com