Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bad SD Card?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Bad SD Card?
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:56:16 AM »
This was wierd.  I've been using a 8g Class 6 card on my Edirol r-09hr for a year now, and suddenly there is a problem.  While records, the files take forever to copy from the Edirol to the Computer, like hours, or never.  When I go to play the files, once copied, I get an error message.  But if I use a track splitter to copy the files from the Edirol (like Goldwave) I can get the files over in pieces and seam them together.  Wierd.

Slapped in a new card, and things seem to work better, but a field test will be in order. 

Can these cards go bad? 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
Re: Bad SD Card?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »
yes

I had this happen with a 2 gb sandisk. File wouldn't copy off if I put it in the SD slot built into the computer, but I was able to pull it off the R-09 via a usb cable. There's a half second dropout right around the point in the transfer where it would lock up....

I believe Hanhinator had a big issue like this with a bunch of his tapes at Bonnaroo last year, maybe he can chime in
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »
Agree...not sure how or why because there doesn't seem to be any moving parts, but I've had cards that worked for me for extended periods suddenly go to 'not working' status when used in the same device that it always worked in before.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »
Maybe a bad sector on the card which causes the file to be slightly corrupted.  I ordered a new SD card as a back up and I think I will toss this rascal.  This is the second time its happened with this card. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 12:50:45 AM »
I'm currently working with a 16gb Sandisk and it has yet to fail me. I would say get all the files off and a format. It's nothing too complicated but it's entirely possible that'll fix it.
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »
I'm currently working with a 16gb Sandisk and it has yet to fail me. I would say get all the files off and a format. It's nothing too complicated but it's entirely possible that'll fix it.

I would try this and then move data on your computer to/from the card to see if you can cause the issue again. like large chunks of data at a time but nothing too important or else you may loose it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com