Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Airline travel and STANDS  (Read 4272 times)

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • At ease atleast yeah.
Airline travel and STANDS
« on: February 05, 2004, 05:39:40 PM »
Whats the norm for travelling with a  stand? I was hoping I could just carry it on with my gear, but fear it may be "bigger" than what they'll allow.. just a Bogen 3333....
Should I just strap it to my checked back and pray it doesn't get all banged up?

-Jim

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re:Airline travel and STANDS
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 05:49:49 PM »
I've carried mine on every instance in the past, though mine are only 18" and 24" closed length.  The 3333 is a little under 36" closed, yes?

At any rate, I carry mine on.  I simply explain it's a tripod for my professional recording equipment and cameras (not a stand, they don't understand the terminology).  Gotten it on every single time.  Once, though, I had to hand it off to an airline agent so they could stash it away on the plane out of my reach.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 06:42:47 PM »
Cool. I'll have to double check the closed height, but I think your about right, 30 something....
I'd have no problem with them putting it somewhere once I got on the plane... baggage guys keep yr grubby paws off my sheeit!!! heeh

-Jim

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 06:45:23 PM »

At any rate, I carry mine on.  I simply explain it's a tripod for my professional recording equipment and cameras (not a stand, they don't understand the terminology).  Gotten it on every single time.  Once, though, I had to hand it off to an airline agent so they could stash it away on the plane out of my reach.

coming from someone who worked for Delta for a couple years trust me you really dont ever wanna allow your taping gear to go "down under"
 first off we used to have about 5 minutes to load the plane,  so half the time so we had to toss the bag's in as fast as we could so your stuff my get thrown around,
And if your lucky enough to get your bag's safely in the bottom chances are if it does not have a lock on it some asshole is gonna look through it and see if theres anything he might want.    reallly !!!
I seen this all the time. That's why I quit. It was a bunch of freak's we were sub contracted by delta from another company.

I was worried they were all gonna get busted and I wanted no part of it.

So I would allway's worry when you check in a bag. make sure it is locked somehow.

What I allways do now is put a little zip tie on it and if they wanna get in it Im gonna atleast know they did, and then throw a hella fit on the manager of the airline.

Nick

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 06:45:47 PM »

They're NOT liking things that can be used like a bat/club these days.  I bought a CARDBOARD SHIPPING TUBE (the 1/4 inch walled kind, not the cheezy thin fedex kind for documents) with plastic caps.  6 inches in diameter and 44 inches tall.  Cost me like 10 bucks (cheep insurance for a stand I paid $125 for).  I pack bubble wrap on the bottom, and top, and seal with shipping tape.

I stick my Norman stand AND Bogen monopod in, and CHECK IT...

Comes thru with flying colors every time.  If you've got a decent size stand, I STRONGLY SUGGEST you look at something like this as your FIRST OPTION.  If they DON'T let you carry it on, they'll make you check it, and just put a tag on it, AFTER MAKING YOU SIGN A DAMAGE WAIVER.

My Norman stand was puchased in S.F., for Dead New Years, after "Deadhead Express" (Peoples Express - GOD am I showing my age) broke it on the Newark to SF flight in '85.

**side note - for you young'ins**  Peoples Express was one of the first No Frills airlines around.  $99 each way from Newark to SF.  They used to put an EXTRA FLIGHT (actually, they rotated an extra aircraft for maintenance) on, Dec. 26th, to cover all the 'heads flying out for New Years.  IMAGINE - a 737 that's 90% deadheads!  Boggles the MIND, it does...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 08:07:47 PM »
when working, i send mine ahead in a a fedex tube since someone else is paying.  if it's me, i check the fedex tube, works every time.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 08:26:57 PM »
Craig Willoughby suggested to me to buy a big PVC pipe and caps to put the stand in and check it while flying.  I figure there's no way I'm getting onboard with a 14' metal stand...

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 08:31:03 PM »
the pvc tube is great, also the fedex box

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 10:00:06 PM »
the pvc tube is great, also the fedex box

and the fedex box is free 8)

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 11:37:10 PM »
Hrmm I'll check my garage for the box the stand came in... only 16 months ago.. I may have it yet. ahah.
I think it'll prolly check it and just tie it to my bag somehow...
-Jim

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 01:48:43 AM »
i just used the long box that my stand was shipped in.
taped it up and checked it in.  no problems at all.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 02:24:35 AM »
Never had a problem with damage to my stand checking it by itself(no box), but I may make one of the PVC tubes soon.  Sounds like a nice little protection.

-Kevin

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 08:34:58 AM »
I would generally check it, but these days I just leave the stand at home and bring a clamp.  Unless of course you're the only person taping in which case that's probably not an option.  For bands like SCI and Phish, though, there's never a shortage of stands and the more clamping the better it is to navigate the section.

Rusty

Offline ingsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 10:11:49 PM »
So I would allway's worry when you check in a bag. make sure it is locked somehow.

What I allways do now is put a little zip tie on it and if they wanna get in it Im gonna atleast know they did, and then throw a hella fit on the manager of the airline.

Nick

i travel a lot with work, and having locked, checked bags is no longer an option.  many airlines now ask you to remove any locks at the check-in.  i think the govt is trying make the airlines eventually inspect 100% of all checked bags...stupid terrorists.   i would say carry-on anything valuable.  
Mics: AKG C 414 B-XL II/ST, Nevaton MCE 400
Other: M148, AD-500e, AD-1000, ACM PMD 660, R09-HR, JB3

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 10:51:15 PM »
I like the PVC idea....gonna have to round up some 3" or 4" and some caps for the Vegas run.   Nobody's gonna want me clamping a pair of TLs to their stand. :'(
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
Re: Airline travel and STANDS
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »
Anyone have recent experience with Delta and stands (Bogen 3333)?  Heading to Vegas next week and want to bring the gear for Mraz.

Thanks,
Ryan
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com