Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 406x series NO boost grids.  (Read 1852 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
DPA 406x series NO boost grids.
« on: September 05, 2010, 01:12:02 PM »
 I dont beleive these exist.Was going to try to modify the high boost grids by removing mort of the tube to leave mostly screen but the screen is to short.Anyone made anything that works?i dont want to run them with no grid.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: DPA 406x series NO boost grids.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:40:37 AM »
FWIW this is my personal experience.  Even completely removing the screen cap seems to have no effect on the basic uneven capsule response due to this being caused by the mic capsule still inside a brass tube, and facing the wall of that tube.  In other words, nothing except removing the actual brass tube surrounding the mic capsule has any real effect on making this mic natural (uncolored) sounding. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »
I know you and others attempted removing the capsule from the tube but was too costly due to breaking some.Were you succesful in making a working pair?

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:10:43 PM »
I know you and others attempted removing the capsule from the tube but was too costly due to breaking some.Were you succesful in making a working pair?
I really don't get the benefit of removing the capsule from the tube.

The *frequency* response of the DPA  406x is flat.  I *think* the problem (of the high frequencies) of the DPA is due to the distortion *of the element*, and that may be due to the non-tensioned diaphragm (it just sits up against the backplate, insulated by a dielectric layer).

By the way, I've been looking into this design.  It seems a few others are using a rectangular diaphragm.  Sanken COS-11 ("vertical diaphragm", not sure about tension), Knowles acoustics (hearing aid mics, non tensioned diaphragm BT1759, first prototyped in the mid seventies), Lectrosonics TRAM 50 (rectangular, tension = ?).  I've found the Knowles sounds similar to the DPA, with a funny high end.  This one is not in a tube, just a flat 6mmx4mm element.  The Lectrosonics is the same size, but sounds a little better.  Perhaps there is some tension on that one?   I have not had time to evaluate Chris Church CA-1.  This is a flat element, same size as the DPA, and there is no tube.

This is certainly a topic worth investigating.  Just don't break your DPA!

Richard

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:14:46 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
I compared what im hearing to a CSB recording made 2 feet away from mine and hear the same issue. A nasty breakup in some of the vocal peaks.maybe this is how it sounded thru the pa?But i notice this on other recordings ive stack taped at completely different venues as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com