Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which Portable Recording machine ?  (Read 15634 times)

Offline furkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Which Portable Recording machine ?
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2011, 05:22:54 AM »
The model is EM-172.

Many thanks Moooose,

When researching the Panny WM61's, I came across a feature about re-wiring the capsules.

Are there similar tips for the 172's ?

I also read that the 172's are susceptible to overheating from large or prolonged use of soldering irons.  Do you reckon my 25w iron will be suitable ?  I currently use leaded solder (LEDs etc) – is this o.k for this job, or leadless ?

Also, my Tascam has 1 mic input.  I was thinking of getting a 2 x 1 adapter plug (each mic having its own plug & plugging into a ‘Y’ piece) but then started thinking about added interference at each joint here & there.   Would it be better to wire both mics to one plug, or use a 2 to 1 adapter ?

Cheers

Baz

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2011, 06:18:05 AM »
I use a 25 W soldering iron, too - never had any problem by paying usual  attention.

Regarding connectors, personally I would follow the "two mics, one plug" way, because of its reliability. The previous version of my EM 172 was terminated this way - putting some heat shrinking tube over connector and the final part of the cables completed the work and made everything nice and resistant.

Personally I didn't find anything about rewiring or modding....

Offline furkin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »
Personally I didn't find anything about rewiring or modding....

Thanks again Moooose,

Just for your information:

1/

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/sys_test.htm#Mic

“When the cartridge is connected as described by Panasonic it produces fairly high distortion at moderate SPL's and is marginally suitable for serious recording and measurement purposes. The microphone itself is extremely linear, but the built in FET amplifier stage is not configured optimally. 
Fortunately, is it possible to modify the external connection to the FET. This involves some delicate work of cutting a trace on the tiny pcb in back of the cartridge and soldering thin, flexible wires to the standard two hookup points, and making a different connection to the capsule housing. The pcb has a circular ring of copper on its outside, which can be exposed by shaving off a small section of the aluminum roll surround with a sharp blade. Then solder a wire from the copper ring to the hookup point that was originally the positive capsule terminal and make it the new ground wire. The terminal with the cut trace becomes the new active output. You might sacrifice some cartridges while learning the process. It is important not to overheat the cartridge when soldering the wires to it, because it destroys the electret. Also, after wires have been connected, the whole backside should be covered with Silicone II Glue to avoid low frequency roll-off due to a broken air seal which might have been caused by the modification. Heat shrink tubing can be used to attach the capsule to a wooden dowel, or the capsules can be glued into the end of a 1/4 inch ID thin metal pipe. Look at the microph1.gif  page from my notebook for further details.”

2/
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/graphics/microph1.gif

I look forward to comments from anyone on this - and whether a similar 'tip' would help the 172's.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2011, 03:39:03 PM »
Would it be any easier by using a EM173 instead?

http://www.frogloggers.com/Documents/EM173.pdf?cat=13&en=1

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline furkin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2011, 06:49:11 PM »
Would it be any easier by using a EM173 instead?

What's the difference please ?

Offline furkin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2011, 08:15:12 AM »
^

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com