Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need help completing my rig for nature and field recording  (Read 3123 times)

Offline jwo

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Need help completing my rig for nature and field recording
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:44:18 PM »
Hi all, my first post here. I've found great info here in the past, but could use some specific advice right about now.

I need some help completing my field kit.
I do sound effects mainly, and enjoy capturing nice nature recordings. It would be nice to do some acoustic instrument recording, but field and nature recording are the higher priority.

I want a good utility kit. I am mainly interested in doing field and nature recording. Be it ambience, waves, animals, wind or weird rusty farm machinery or possibly fireworks or firearms. I'd also like to create my own impulse responses, and have heard omnis are best suited for that.

I am happy with my MKH 418S and am not looking to replace it right now. What I'd like is a good stereo pair to run on the Aerco Stereo Pre on channels 3/4 of the Sound Devices 744. Something that will be a good stereo representation of the environment. I'd love something with extended frequency response.

If money were no object I'd buy a pair of MKH 8020s or DPA 4006s tonight, and call it good. However I'd like to keep this under $1500.

I'd appreciate if some of you field recording vets would audit my field kit, check out what I am considering, and make recommendations.
It's all laid out below. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Current inventory:
-Sound Devices 744T
-Sennheiser 418S MS Shotgun
-Rode Blimp
-Sennheiser MKH 40
-Aerco Stereo Pre (For channels 3-4 of the 744)
-Various light use studio stands for holding the blimp
-Sound Devices 702 (For sale!)

What I am looking for:
-Good pair of Omni mics or maybe another cardioid
-Modular windshield or a few specific windshields to accommodate either MKH 30/40 combo or  pairs of matched omnis or cardiods
-Boom pole or Tripod (do I need both?)
-Power for the Aerco Preamp (Currently runs on 3 x 9v)

What I am considering:
-2nd MKH 40 (path of least resistance for quality stereo)
-Less expensive Omnis like the Line Audios, Octavias or similar
-Going all in and getting a pair of 8020s (will break the bank, but will also make me happy)
-MKH 30 to run with the MKH 40 (Not sure how I'd decode second MS setup in the field, only first 2 channesl on the 744 do MS)
-I am not sure what to do for the tripod/boom pole or power for the Aerco

Offline iomoth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Need help completing my rig for nature and field recording
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
You might want to try the Audio Technica AT4022's. Here are some recordings comparing it to the MKH 8020's.

http://www.caperteebirder.com/index.php?p=1_30_recording-gear-3

Offline jwo

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:35:55 PM »
Great reference, thank you iomoth!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 08:51:15 AM »
-Power for the Aerco Preamp (Currently runs on 3 x 9v)

You can replace the Aerco's 9 volts with an internal LiPo.  I got this as an option when I bought mine, but I am pretty sure that you can also send yours back and have Jerry install the rechargeables.  I have used mine for ~ 8 hours (supplying P48, 2.8 mA per mic) with no problems, but I have never tested to see what the maximum run-time is.  I think the LiPo option, plus charger, cost $150.  Perhaps a bit more for the retro-fit.  You can also run it with AC using the charger (keeping the batteries charged).

External batteries are also an option.  The Aerco is very flexible in this regard.  It can take a pretty wide range of voltages (I seem to recall 9 - 15, but don't quote me on that) and the connector is floating.  No problem to use an external battery with the LiPo's either.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com