Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Took a break, but back now. Seeking current info...  (Read 9680 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Took a break, but back now. Seeking current info...
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »
PCM-M10 sized device capable of accepting a SPDIF input.

There's the Micro-Crapper...  Its junk IMO...  But some people like it...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 10:59:39 PM »
Hell, there's plenty of us on here that drool over the idea of a PCM-M10 sized device capable of accepting a SPDIF input.

Yeahyouright tim in jersey.

Quoted here for emphasis, in case there are any corporate trolls lurking about, doing marketing research.... 8)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 12:04:37 AM »
Now if someone would only make a great, reliable, inexpensive bit-bucket lots of us would be very happy.

:smash:  Hear, hear....could not agree more, flipp

I second this opinion.  :smash: :smash:
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »
after 20+ years of the hobby I got burned out on the hassles. And one of the bigger hassles was dragging around a bunch of gear. Now, after having taken a break, I'm looking to build something that'll sound decent, and be easy to stealth with at the smaller shows that I tend to go to these days. So the idea of being able to use a smart phone is appealing. If the technology isn't there yet, so be it. That's why I was asking.

Most of us don't consider carrying an M10, a small battery box and a set of mics like the CA-14's as  dragging around a bunch of gear. Also there are some mics that the M10 will power fine without a battery box (CA-11's, AT853's). In addition, if you could find the more expensive Marantz PMD-620 used at a good price on E-Bay (I lucked out & got good one for $150), it will power most any mini-mics you'd want to throw at it including CA-14's and DPA 4061's.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

stevetoney

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 08:27:06 AM »
Now if someone would only make a great, reliable, inexpensive bit-bucket lots of us would be very happy.

I'm curious...why don't you guys think the Tascam DR100MKii does this? 

stevetoney

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »
Power to the mics, the one limitation of the small recorders is they don't put out much voltage for plug-in power. You will need an external battery box or preamp.

An external BB or pre used-to-be required, but nowadays this really isn't an absolute requirement...it all depends on the specific handheld and the stuff you intend to record.  More and more small inexpensive hand-helds are providing enough voltage to power mics without a battery box or preamp, at least for ampilified music where you don't need tons of clean preamp gain. 

My AT853s (w/4.7k mod) sound just as good straight out of the mic-in jack on my Tascam DR2D as they do through a CA9100.  Many hours of good quality recordings from summercamp last month are uploaded to www.archive.org with this combo.

The Sony M10 also does really well with the AT853 and church audio mics w/o either bb or a preamp.  Again, this is if you don't need much clean preamp gain although the M10 is said to be really clean. 

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »

Mainly because I'm not familiar with it. Adding it to my short list of decks to check when I'm finally ready to replace/add to my current stable. Quick question about it, what type of digi-ins does it have?

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 09:42:32 AM »

Mainly because I'm not familiar with it. Adding it to my short list of decks to check when I'm finally ready to replace/add to my current stable. Quick question about it, what type of digi-ins does it have?

And does it lock SPDIF and/or AES at all bit depths and rates to a minime, a V3, a Benchmark AD2k, etc.

Aren't there a lot of unanswered questions about this unit? Referring to this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153273.0

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »
I guess google and the sites search feature is broke.
Come in play stupid and ask what the very question this site has been compiling data on
for what 10 years plus?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

stevetoney

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 10:41:37 AM »
Aren't there a lot of unanswered questions about this unit? Referring to this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153273.0

Not really (as far as I'm concerned).  The issue is people don't understand SPDIF vs. AES compatibility and expect all digital DACs to communicate with all digital recorders.  That's not reality.

The issue of these threads is whether the older digital devices  (such as a Mytek, mini-me, V3, or AD2K) sent out digital data in a specific format.  AES data is different than SPDIF data.  The Tascam DR100MKii specs state clearly that it is SPDIF compatible (nothing said about AES, but we've confirmed through testing that it is NOT AES compatible).  The Sony D50 also isn't universally backwards compatible with everything that was sold before it was designed and released.

That said, most of the more expensive digital recorders are happy with either AES or SPDIF so the question about compatibility doesn't come up with those units.  But the cheapest more expensive digital unit is a PMD-661 at $600 (if someone wants to pay $300 more simply because they can't figure out whether their digital device is SPDIF compatible, is that a problem for Tascam?)

What this means is that, for anyone considering buying the DR100MKii it becomes important to figure out if the signal you'll be receiving with it is AES or SPDIF.  If it's SPDIF, you should be fine.  If it's AES and you're expecting compatibility, you'll probably be disappointed (however, as documented, the DR100MKii does indeed lock on a 16/44.1 AES). 

So, I don't think there are any unanswered questions really.  The compatibility question on the DR100MKii has been flushed and is well known for the DR100MKii.  However, that might not mean that it's clear what...say an AD2K might be sending out since it's an older device that may or may conform to the SPDIF standard that was finalized after these were designed.

Bottom line, know your device and the digital format standard it sends and match that up to the recorder you're buying.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:52:55 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »
I repeat the question, maybe it gets answered, maybe not.....

Does the Tascam DR100MKii lock SPDIF and/or AES at all bit depths and rates from a minime, a V3, a Benchmark AD2k, or any other thing this taper community uses to record with?

....or, can't you get an answer to a question around here anymore?

BONUS POINTS awarded for putting this valuable information in tabular form.

edit ---- for specificity
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:23:19 PM by capnhook »

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 12:25:51 PM »
Come in play stupid and ask what the very question this site has been compiling data on
for what 10 years plus?

Sit back and listen, let the adults talk, please.

stevetoney

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »

I had a fairly detailed response typed, but after seeing your response to Jackoroses, which I completely agree with, I deleted my response. 

As jackoroses suggests, use the search tool and you'll find the answer.

I found answers to every device compatibility question you have within 20 seconds and within the first six hits of my search.

BTW, when someone asks a question that's been answered before and it goes unanswered, people tend to ignore the question...it's human nature, not rudeness.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:37:02 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »

I had a fairly detailed response typed, but after seeing your response to Jackoroses, which I completely agree with, I deleted my response. 

As jackoroses suggests, use the search tool and you'll find the answer.

(I found answers to every device compatibility question you have within 20 seconds and within the first six hits of my search.)

Thanks tonedeaf.  You surely make this place a better place.  Thought I'd give you a chance to contribute some valuable information that might be put into a sticky sometime.

Now, go play in the corner, and let the adults continue.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 02:10:01 PM »

Probably not. In my case I was just toodamnedlazy to bother using either.

for what 10 years plus?

Like I said, it'll be on the short list to research when I'm ready to replace/add to my current recorders. Sorry if you interpreted my quick question as "playing stupid". A short few-word answer would have sufficed. I'll know better than to expect a usable answer in the future and to not waste anyone else's time by even asking.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com