Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: advise on removing wind phasing  (Read 4170 times)

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
advise on removing wind phasing
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »
so whats the best way to edit out wind phasing?
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: advise on removing wind phasing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 12:00:25 AM »
Easy - you can't.

Try listening to one channel at a time - possible phase shift might not be as pronounced as mono.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 12:18:20 AM »
20/20 hindsight, windscreens, and a time-machine...

Sorry bro...  I hope it wasn't too important of a Tape!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 01:23:43 AM »
it isnt so bad. somewhat of a windy night up at the Mishawaka Ampitheatre, kinda sucked but what can you do. i sure it would've helped if i had some dead rats
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)

it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 05:53:03 AM »
http://www.thewindcutter.com/shop/  A pair of Windcutters over DPA screens work great!

it isnt so bad. somewhat of a windy night up at the Mishawaka Ampitheatre, kinda sucked but what can you do. i sure it would've helped if i had some dead rats
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
Windscreeens help, but the more directional the microphone pattern, the more suseptible to picking up wind noise.

Consider omnis if it's more than breezy, foam screens alone are often enough with them IMO.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »
So if you are talking wind phasing rather than wind rumble there is nothing that I have heard of that can be done in post and wind screens or dead rats would not have helped. Wind phasing sounds like the music swirling from side to side and the only thing that can be done is to get closer to the source at the show. Generally you can hear music swirling while you are standing at the show and the mics are going to pick this up. The more directional your mics are the more the phasing will be an issue. It generally does not come through as much with omnis.

Now, wind rumble or noise is a different story. This can be avoided at the show with wind screens and dead rats. It can also be reduced, sometimes significantly,  in post by using a high pass filter. Most of the rumble is usually in the extremely low frequencies. You will then have to strike a balance between removing the rumble and removing the bass from your recording. I have done this a few times recently with what I considered decent but not great results. The recordings ended up with a lot less bass than I wanted but the wind rumble was so annoying to me it was worth it.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »
So if you are talking wind phasing rather than wind rumble there is nothing that I have heard of that can be done in post and wind screens or dead rats would not have helped. Wind phasing sounds like the music swirling from side to side and the only thing that can be done is to get closer to the source at the show. Generally you can hear music swirling while you are standing at the show and the mics are going to pick this up. The more directional your mics are the more the phasing will be an issue. It generally does not come through as much with omnis.

Now, wind rumble or noise is a different story. This can be avoided at the show with wind screens and dead rats. It can also be reduced, sometimes significantly,  in post by using a high pass filter. Most of the rumble is usually in the extremely low frequencies. You will then have to strike a balance between removing the rumble and removing the bass from your recording. I have done this a few times recently with what I considered decent but not great results. The recordings ended up with a lot less bass than I wanted but the wind rumble was so annoying to me it was worth it.

^^This

For wind rumble low cut filters on mics, recorders or mic pres can be employed too but it is easy to roll off the lows with more control when editing.

Edit to:
strikeout the bit about omni's reducing wind phasing as Gutbucket points out in reply #10.  You can certainly hear the phasing with your own ears at the time and any mic pattern will hear it too.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:48:13 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 12:56:41 PM »
Out at Telluride we would put a piece of speaker fabric over the capsule of the mic before putting on the windscreen, which did a lot to address the low-end rumble.  I quit taping there because the shit is just outta phase even if you don't get rumble.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
So if you are talking wind phasing rather than wind rumble there is nothing that I have heard of that can be done in post and wind screens or dead rats would not have helped. Wind phasing sounds like the music swirling from side to side and the only thing that can be done is to get closer to the source at the show. Generally you can hear music swirling while you are standing at the show and the mics are going to pick this up.

Yep, gusty wind modulates the sound waves by pushing the air around which they are traveling through, producing the swirly sound.  You bring up a good point in drawing a distinction between wind phasing and wind rumble.

The more directional your mics are the more the phasing will be an issue. It generally does not come through as much with omnis.

I have to differ here, choice of pattern won't make much difference with wind phasing.  The phasy sound happens in the air before the sound even reaches the mics.  The only significant way of combating it is to move closer so there is less air blowing around between the mics and the source and therefore less phasing.  As you mentioned, if you can hear it you'll record it, regardless of pattern.

This is spot on.  But I'll add that wind rumble is where using a less directional mic does help- and is the most basic way of reducing susceptibility.  From that basic susceptibility, other measures such as foam screens, furry covers, hollow screened 'blimps' further improve wind rumble resistance from that by creating 'dead air' space around the mic, isolating the capsule from the chaotic wind pressure immediately around it. If that is still not sufficient, low-cut can help but sacrifices the bass.

To contrast wind phasing and wind rumble, the difference is that wind phasing is caused by chaotic air motions blowing sound pressure variations around ‘out there' between the source and the mic.  Wind rumble is also a disruption in sound wave pressure variations, but is chaotic pressure variations acting locally on  the mic capsule, where we can do things to minimize it.  Windscreens, rats and blimps would work against wind phasing too.. if they were scaled up to the size of a room and calmed the motion of all the air between the mic and the sound source!

I was looking for a link to an excellent article AES article on wind noise by Jörg Wuttke explaining much of this in detail and going further in some interesting details about how wind screens affect not just frequency response, but also compromise directional polar patterns but it isn’t available online anymore.  Here’s a WaybackMachine archive of it.  I also found this article by another author while searching for it, which looks similar if less in depth technically, but I haven’t read that one.

OK, enough of this noise..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:21:41 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »
Conclusion of the article on wind noise prevention by Jörg Wuttke of Schoeps-

7 CONCLUSIONS

Foam windscreens should be used wherever the protection they offer is sufficient, for their negative effect on the sound is relatively small and easily correctable. On pressure transducers they are almost always the best choice.

Basket-style windscreens must be used on directional microphones if foam types are inadequate to reduce the levels of wind interference. They do detract from the sound and directivity of a pressure-gradient transducer to the degree that they are small and efficient.

A good compromise between the two types is a hollow foam windscreen. In all cases care must be taken to avoid overloading the microphone channel ' s input electronics due to the excessive very low and even infrasonic frequencies produced by the action of wind on the microphone diaphragm. Attenuating the system's low-end response at the earliest opportunity is always a good idea to ensure a clean transmission.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 06:31:15 PM »
A good compromise between the two types is a hollow foam windscreen. In all cases care must be taken to avoid overloading the microphone channel ' s input electronics due to the excessive very low and even infrasonic frequencies produced by the action of wind on the microphone diaphragm. Attenuating the system's low-end response at the earliest opportunity is always a good idea to ensure a clean transmission.

That would lend support to using roll-off filters on mics, preamp or recorder if you've got them as opposed to doing it in post.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 12:44:09 AM »
sorry guess i was confused on wind rumble vs wind phasing. i had to deal with wind rumble. here is the final product after editing some wind rumble out and mastering it http://www-tracey.archive.org/details/7walkers2012-09-01.fob.mc803.kindrec
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:50:19 AM by deadheadcorey »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 08:46:56 AM »
deadheadcorey, the problem of course is that wind rumble extends from very low frequencies (below 20 Hz) up into the audio midrange, and is highly dynamic. Those two characteristics mean that some wind effects can't be filtered out effectively after the fact, even with the most advanced dynamic filtering systems such as Cedar. For wind problems, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

--best regards
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:25:47 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.376 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com