Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR-2LE file writing problem  (Read 2399 times)

Offline tonmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Fostex FR-2LE file writing problem
« on: December 11, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »
After several years of successful recording with this machine, I'm trying to solve a recurring problem.

Recently, for some recordings, the machine stops writing data to a card after several minutes.  However, other files recorded in the same session are fine.  The problem is occurring using different cards (although all cards tried so far are Transcend x133).  At the time of recording there is no indication of this error, as the time display and input meters functions normally.

The problem arises on playback or on attempts to transfer the file.  On playback, audio will abruptly stop after a few minutes (but the "file" will continue to "play").  On file transfers to computer, an error type -39 message is shown and transfer ceases.

I noticed also a loud click about one minute before audio playback stopped on one of these failed recordings.  Don't know whether that may be a related issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Fostex FR-2LE file writing problem
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:19:32 AM »
Are these trans cards the same cards you have used without issue for yrs?

Is it always the first file that stops, followed by others without issue?

Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »
Tonmeister,

try this test program:

http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html

It fills the flash card(s) with a test pattern and checks for faulty memory cells. As an added benefit, it tells you how fast the card REALLY is. Do not forget to remove important data from the cards, otherwise its gone. After the test, simply delete the test files. You can even get a report with the performance of your test object - very nice for warranty claims!

The program helped me to weed out an USB stick that developed faulty sectors. Flash memory chips wear out. Some faster, some slower, but in the end, they all wear out. I recommend to check from time to time, especially before an important recording session!

Greetings,

Rainer
recording steam trains since 1985

Offline tonmeister

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 04:17:45 PM »

1. Yes, the cards functioned correctly from 2009 until recently.

2. Yes, exactly that!

I'll add that I bought a new card (not Transcend) yesterday and made some test recordings which have no errors.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:20:40 PM by tonmeister »

Offline tonmeister

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »

After a long interruption, I'm getting back to looking for a solution.  Yes, the cards were good for about four years.  And yes, the problem occurs with the first file in a sequence and subsequent file/s are fine.  Your two questions seem to imply that you may know something about this problem.  What might be the cause?

I have had some inconsistencies though.  One card recorded several files correctly on one day, then on a following day the problem recurred.  So my initial thought that this might be a recorder problem and not a media problem can't be ruled out.

Depending on which of two computers I've used to attempt file transfers, I see different file sizes identified.  One machine sees (correctly) a 2.05 GB file (but plays only its first 3 minutes).  The other machine sees a 45 MG file (and also plays only for 3 minutes).

Thanks Rainer for the testing suggestion.  I have downloaded data recovery software and scanned the card.  A 2.05 GB file is shown, with a potential recovery status as "average".  I am using Mac OS 10.8.2 and the free version of Disk Drill.  The paid version is required for data recovery operations.   I obviously don't want to spend $90 to discover that only 3 minutes of the file is recoverable.  I have not previously used any data recovery software so not sure what I should expect to happen.

I have searched for help on all of these matters and found none apart from the two posts here so any further clues are very welcome.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com