Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

DA-P1 Question

(1/3) > >>

hzgone:
I have been running my p1 for about 12 or so shows and i have run into a slight problem.  This usually happens in the beginning of the second set.  Just beofre a band returns i format my tape and usually hit stop so i can hit record when the band comes on.  Twice i have hit record and the p1 will start to record and roll tape and then it will stop a few seconds into it.  I hit record again and it will do the same thing.  Not sure what is going on but i have missed the beginning of the second set cause of this twice.

John R:
try pause-record to get it into standby (blinking led) and release pause (solid led)

jr

hzgone:
that is what i do and for some reason it will record for a few seconds then stop

wboswell:
you may want to try some different types of tapes in your machine.  My p1 doesn't like sony tapes unless I fast forward and rewind them and put the 1 min leader.  Maxell tapes are fine no matter which way I do it.  

John P:
Happened to my old P1.  I sent it to Paul who did a simple (but costly) repair.  

Has to do with the belts, and grease getting onto them.  I bet yours is a little older.  Paul explained to me that older models used grease that dripped when hot.  After running a whole set, your belts might be starting to slip.  

A couple of P1 tricks you can do are to power down between sets.  

Change brand of tapes - Audio grade tapes do work better imo and experience.  

Also, there is a trick of exposing the tape and manually tensioning it back to the beginning.  The deck reads those black bars to start the absolute time.  If you get a bad load, you can run into the same problem.  

Hope it helps.  Doug Oade has written about some of this as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version