Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8  (Read 126779 times)

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
Re: Zoom F8
« Reply #420 on: December 06, 2015, 05:47:40 AM »
You could buy this and chump it down and run it as a stereo box but you would be missing the true brilliance of this unit... Super Matrixs  I don't record big... local bands... regional touring bands... If I can't get the matrix.. i don't record. So along with my stage mics and mono FoH maybe...  the lead singers vocals... oh and the lead Guitar... a drum over head...   the Bass...   All I know is that after 20 shows it works for me... It has never malfunctioned... Although it all happens  in post, The mix is plenty good. Here's what i heard

https://soundcloud.com/bdasilva/danielle-nicole-band-whole-lotta-love
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #421 on: December 06, 2015, 08:50:10 AM »
From comments here and in the Yard Sale, it looks like a number of us plan/want to pick up an F8 and will be unloading current gear to do so.  I foresee a load of 680s and DR70s hitting the market in the near future.  I think the trajectory is being managed by the low availability of F8s, otherwise the rush would really be on. ;D

Sounds about right - I think I'd like to have one of these.  But I'll wait until they have an Android version of the control app and Zoom goes through their first firmware update or two.

Yeah, I am not an early adopter either.  While the initial reviews here and elsewhere have been really encouraging, they were for the DR70 as well.  Not that I am paranoid or anything.  I do at least have an iPhone and iPad mini to work with.

What products/brands besides Tascam have had problems with beta testing and/or taking products to market with issues?

The m-audio microtrack had eleven firmware updates before it woked as advertised. There is no excuse.
No excuse for what? The Tascam? Agreed but take that to the Tascam thread. You seem to insinuate that Zoom is having these problems when it doesn't. The Zoom works exactly as advertised, I see no reason to lump it in the same category as others.

Quite the contrary. I was one of the first people here to have the Zoom and I love it. I consider it the most recent iteneration of the holy grail and most certainly the best bang for the buck. I was commenting on the question that was asked about what other brands besides Tascam come to market before they are ready and my example is as good as any. I stand by my comment that there is no excuse for any product to be released that is not as advertised.

I had an MT2496 and it was eh alright...worked the way it was supposed to but its design was limiting.  Then I had an MTII and it never worked right, even after the firmware updates.  Thankfully, they don't make recorders anymore.  My theory is that M-Audio was subcontracting their recorder design and manufacture out to Tascam at the time.  LOL.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #422 on: December 06, 2015, 01:50:21 PM »
Latest F8 recording.. Onstage 4051s + SBD, monitored entire time via Bluetooth.

http://www.nyctaper.com/2015/12/superchunk-december-3-2015-babys-all-right/
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #423 on: December 06, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »
Tonedeaf - we're pushing 30 pages here.  Time to lock this and make a Part 2?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #424 on: December 06, 2015, 07:51:02 PM »
Just purchased one. Now have to wait for Amazon to get one in stock.

stevetoney

« Reply #425 on: December 06, 2015, 08:07:53 PM »

This one's not my thread.

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #426 on: December 06, 2015, 08:34:15 PM »

[/quote]

I think there's also the matter that previous Zoom products such as the H2 and the H4N are well-known garbage. Unreliable, cheap sounding, etc -- not so different than a Tascam. Now, Zoom was always pretty clear that they were aimed at an amateur market in those cases, and marketed accordingly, so you can also assume some of the issues with how bad Zoom stuff sounded was attributable to user error. That said, an H4N should be qualitatively no different than a Roland R-26, yet I've heard many good recordings with the latter, none with the former.

[/quote]

The H2 and H4N are certainly  not garbage, the H4N is still used by pro's and I have an H2 that produces great quality recordings, and still works as well as it did when new.

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline voltronic

« Reply #427 on: December 06, 2015, 08:36:02 PM »

This one's not my thread.

My mistake, I just made that assumption based on your being the most active poster on the F8.  I didn't even bother to look at who started the thread. :facepalm:
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline zoomofficial

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #428 on: December 07, 2015, 03:01:01 PM »
The physical gain knobs will override the virtual ones.

OK, but let's say I have the physical ones all the way down, and the virtual ones at, say, +20. If I take the physical knob and move it up by +10, does the gain become +30, or +10?

Hello,

The gain would move to +10dB. Whichever knob (virtual or physical) is touched last will override the previous.

Thank you

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #429 on: December 07, 2015, 09:22:03 PM »
The physical gain knobs will override the virtual ones.

OK, but let's say I have the physical ones all the way down, and the virtual ones at, say, +20. If I take the physical knob and move it up by +10, does the gain become +30, or +10?

Hello,

The gain would move to +10dB. Whichever knob (virtual or physical) is touched last will override the previous.

Thank you
Thank you! And welcome to the forum!
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

stevetoney

« Reply #430 on: December 07, 2015, 09:47:39 PM »

Welcome zoomofficial to taperssection!

Regarding your response...nice!  I would have thought that the physical knob would override simply because it's, well, a physical knob.  I definitely like and prefer that the last knob touched takes precedence.

Your response also suggests that additional channel controls might be able to be made in the virtual realm.  Hopefully, you've seen my detailed review of the unit elsewhere in the 'Recording Gear' forum of taperssection.  The last section of my review includes some feedback on issues I've found so far and also includes some suggested firmware updates, one of which is channel ganging for concurrent level adjustment.  Zoom would make lots of people happy if this feature was able to be added in a future firmware update.  :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:51:48 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #431 on: December 07, 2015, 10:25:38 PM »

Welcome zoomofficial to taperssection!

Regarding your response...nice!  I would have thought that the physical knob would override simply because it's, well, a physical knob.  I definitely like and prefer that the last knob touched takes precedence.

Your response also suggests that additional channel controls might be able to be made in the virtual realm.  Hopefully, you've seen my detailed review of the unit elsewhere in the 'Recording Gear' forum of taperssection.  The last section of my review includes some feedback on issues I've found so far and also includes some suggested firmware updates, one of which is channel ganging for concurrent level adjustment.  Zoom would make lots of people happy if this feature was able to be added in a future firmware update.  :)

I second that. Also, we'd love the ability to select whether XLR or TRS resulted in mic or line-in, rather than having that determined for us....

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #432 on: December 08, 2015, 07:14:27 AM »
Welcome Zoomofficial! As mentioned before, a ganging feature that allows you to adjust the gain on channel pairs or multiple channel's via one knob would be much appreciated. Seems like something that could be done with firmware? The ability to select line in vs mic in with the use of XLR's would also be nice although I don't know if that would be more of a hardware issue vs something that could be revised with firmware? An Android Bluetooth app would also be a very welcome feature.....
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #433 on: December 08, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »
Hey now zoomofficial, welcome to taperssection.

:cheers:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline voltronic

« Reply #434 on: December 08, 2015, 09:43:57 PM »
Welcome Zoomofficial! As mentioned before, a ganging feature that allows you to adjust the gain on channel pairs or multiple channel's via one knob would be much appreciated. Seems like something that could be done with firmware? The ability to select line in vs mic in with the use of XLR's would also be nice although I don't know if that would be more of a hardware issue vs something that could be revised with firmware? An Android Bluetooth app would also be a very welcome feature.....

Ditto the above.  Channel ganging and an Android control app are two of the biggest things preventing me from buying one of these.  Well, that and having just spent the cost of an F8 on new mics and related accessories... ::)
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com