Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

V3 ?

(1/4) > >>

wboswell:
One of the main differences  between the V2 and the V3 is how the trim pots work.  Though I haven't ever owned a V2, it is my understanding that the trim was a variable resistor, hence, the more you trim the gain back the more resistence the signal receives.  This isn't something that you want a lot of (i.e. you wouldn't want the gain set to 30 and the trim set -8, you would rather run the gain at 25 and the trim -3).  However, the trim on the V3 is a positively  configured.  Is there any sound degradation by running the trim closer to 10 than to 0?  Am I making sense?  This past Thursday night at the 40 Watt in Athens, things were dialed in almost perfect for me:  gain @ 30, trim @ 1 on the V3, consistent peaks @ -4dbs.  Anyway, just got me thinking because I could have run the box @ 25 and had the trim juiced up a bit more.  Comments?

Thanks, William

creekfreak:
I was wondering the same thing, I don't think you have the same issue with the V3 even though you are adding gain, one of the things I liked about the V3 over the V2

schoeps t00bes:
william,
there is no sound degredation with the v3 trim pots.  if you would have run the gain at +25 and the trim at +6 you would have gotten the same results.  check the oade archives.  i know michael has discussed this issue over there.
dave

wboswell:
Thanks Dave.  I found the link to the discussion.  Here it is:  http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Forum/technology/showmsg.mv+message=2998

creekfreak:
good to know

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version