Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Some help with a playback system... help me spend my money!  (Read 10922 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Some help with a playback system... help me spend my money!
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2004, 01:20:44 PM »
fwiw - I think you will be happier with 2 channels of quality than 5 of mediocre!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2004, 02:22:51 PM »
fwiw - I think you will be happier with 2 channels of quality than 5 of mediocre!

agreed
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2004, 03:22:12 PM »
I really want to be able to have more than 2 channels and be able to hook up my computer, tv, and cd changer to one set of speakers.  Would this be possible with a tube pre amp?

Tubes vs solid state has nothing to do with the number of inputs a preamp will provide.  It depends on the manufacturer and the model.

The link to a review of the Y-S Audio preamp is here: http://www.nickspicks.com/

Edit:  I didn't finish before I hit submit.

You probably are not going to find a working multi channel tube pre-amp in your budget.  I agree with those who already said a good 2-channel system will probably make you more happy than a mediocre multichannel system. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 03:43:08 PM by teabag »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline pjl100001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2004, 09:04:32 PM »
Ok, this is what I have in mind now...

I'm sold on these Sony receivers.  They're a little expensive but as I keep looking at all of this equipment, my budget seems to be growing.  I like the str da1000 and the cheapest I've found it is $470.  Anyone know any other cheaper places?  I'm going to spring for the Toshiba SACD player amd a pair of Epos ELS3 bookshelf speakers along with the ELSC3 for the center channel.  For now I will have to wait to employ the other 4 channels and the subwoofer will wait as well but I guess it leaves me something to ask for for my birthday or maybe christmas.

So what do you guys think?  I'm still very much an amateur at all this so let me know if I'm spending too much here or there or I'm buying something unneccesary.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2004, 10:41:41 PM »
You can do so much better buying a used receiver like a denon or marantz.  It would just have to be a bit older.  Unless it is of the ES line I would really pass on the Sony.  Check audiogon and ebay.  The used market is the way to go with the budget you have.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2004, 12:49:53 AM »
Ok, this is what I have in mind now...

I'm sold on these Sony receivers.  They're a little expensive but as I keep looking at all of this equipment, my budget seems to be growing.  I like the str da1000 and the cheapest I've found it is $470.  Anyone know any other cheaper places?  I'm going to spring for the Toshiba SACD player amd a pair of Epos ELS3 bookshelf speakers along with the ELSC3 for the center channel.  For now I will have to wait to employ the other 4 channels and the subwoofer will wait as well but I guess it leaves me something to ask for for my birthday or maybe christmas.

So what do you guys think?  I'm still very much an amateur at all this so let me know if I'm spending too much here or there or I'm buying something unneccesary.

Those speakers look decent, I think they got a pretty positive review in Stereophile a little while ago.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2004, 11:25:08 AM »
Call the oades (via www.oade.com) and see what they can sell you the sony for  -- I STRONGLY recommend getting the strda2000es instead of the 1000 -- VERY different system (the 2000 is a digital amp using the same setup as the more expensive 3000 and 5000es, the 1000 is a different beast).

Good Luck, I think you'll enjoy this setup a LOT.

Darrin

Offline Tim

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2004, 04:12:00 PM »
Call the oades (via www.oade.com) and see what they can sell you the sony for  -- I STRONGLY recommend getting the strda2000es instead of the 1000 -- VERY different system (the 2000 is a digital amp using the same setup as the more expensive 3000 and 5000es, the 1000 is a different beast).

Good Luck, I think you'll enjoy this setup a LOT.

Darrin

what Darrin said!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pjl100001

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2004, 11:55:10 PM »
Anyone know where I can find a cheap price on the sony str-da2000?  The cheapest I've seen so far is $525 and I know I can do better than that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com