Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audiophile 2496 question  (Read 2682 times)

Offline highwayjill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • highwayjill was a daffodil...
    • my cd list
audiophile 2496 question
« on: July 25, 2004, 04:53:23 PM »
after 2 days of fighting with this thing, i'm about to pull it out of my computer and throw it in the lake across the street  >:(

the biggest problem i'm having right now is playing back different shows.  Shows that i either downloaded from somewhere or transferred with my old soundcard play back fine when the master clock is set to internal xtal, but in order to listen to something that i transferred with the new card, it has to be set to s/pdif in, and the dat has to be turned on and connected to the computer or it wont play.  I like to queue up several shows in winamp and just let it run all day, but with the master clock having to be on different settings for different shows, its not working too well.... is there any way to set up the soundcard so that everything plays back on the same setting?

also, sometimes it will just randomly record static when i'm transferring, and there is no static on the dat (plays back fine the next time)  >:(
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 04:59:17 PM by highwayjill »

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: audiophile 2496 question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 05:32:41 PM »
if playing files from harrddrive with winamp or foobar - set he clock to internal...

also - on the mixer page, set the output to wav out.

if you set the output to spdif in, you will need to have the clock set to external, and you will only hear what comes in from your dat. the only time it should be set like that is when monitoring your transfers...

i hope this helps.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline kevin p

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 06:11:41 PM »
Shows that i either downloaded from somewhere or transferred with my old soundcard play back fine when the master clock is set to internal xtal

Have you considered using two soundcards? Old one for playback AP2496 for transfers?

also, sometimes it will just randomly record static when i'm transferring, and there is no static on the dat (plays back fine the next time)  >:(

Is the DMA buffer size sufficient?

Offline highwayjill

• Taperssection All-Star
    • my cd list
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 03:21:15 AM »
ok... i think i got everything set up right, now i just have to make a trip to radioshack so i dont have keep moving the speakers to the right soundcard

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 12:31:23 AM »
Have you considered using two soundcards? Old one for playback AP2496 for transfers?

That's exactly what I do. I've still got my original soundcard for playback, and only use the 2496 for transferring. It sucks in that you can't listen to a show while it's being transferred...but it's better than going through the trouble you're having. Urgh...I hate having computer problems!

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline kevin p

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 02:27:44 AM »

That's exactly what I do. I've still got my original soundcard for playback, and only use the 2496 for transferring. It sucks in that you can't listen to a show while it's being transferred...but it's better than going through the trouble you're having. Urgh...I hate having computer problems!

Don't you use a PC DDS drive, Nick? Thought I'd seen that in some of your lineage info. +T for the avatar!

PS - Do your comp speakers terminate into a 1/8th mini? Just plug them into the DAT headphone jack while transferring.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 02:30:49 AM by kevin p »

Offline highwayjill

• Taperssection All-Star
    • my cd list
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 03:11:57 AM »

thats what i'm doing right now... i just switch the speakers between soundcards until i make a trip to radioshack for something that will let me have 1 set of speakers hooked up to 2 soundcards

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 08:45:15 AM »
you need to set up your mixer profiles. I have 6 profiles setup:
internal 44.1
internal 48
s/pdif 44.1 in
s/pdif 48 in
s/pdif 44.1 out
s/pdif 48 out

this way, depending on what I'm doing, whether its transferring dats or listening to my HD, all I have to do is load the respective profile

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 11:56:23 AM »
I had a DDS drive for my first 2 years worth of taping/transfers, but I finally bought a new PC back in May. As it turns out, I could never get XP to recognize the drive. Never had a problem with Win 98. Found a deal on a brand new Audiophile on eBay for $110 shipped.

Excellent idea on using the headphone jack..never thought about that. +T for that...

Once I get a bit more accustomed to my JB3 (viva la firewire!) hopefully soundcards and DDS drives will both be a thing of the past. It may take awhile though...see my latest goof up over in the "How long...JB3" thread.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 12:06:26 PM »
just curious what your Monitor Mixer and Patchbay/Router settings are in the M-Audio Control Panel?

I have no problem with my Audiophile 2496 playing and listening at the same time....don't have to switch any cables around...

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 12:24:49 PM »
all you need to do to get XP to recognize the DDS drive is install the 'microsoft backup' component

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com