Gear / Technical Help > Cables

making 7pin I/O cable from the sbm1 7pin dongle

(1/4) > >>

dr.ph0b:
if you do the coax mod to your sbm1, and want to put the 7pin dongle to good use, here is how :)

first get a rca mono splitter from ratshack

drill out the rivet in the center and open the sucker up

unsolder the rca terminals and toss the other crap inside

assuming youve already cut the dongle off.. seperate the wires. there are 2 grey wires inside that are for the transmit and recieve. each has a ground in it also. in our case here, the red will be the transmit.. (digi out) and brown will be the digi in. connect the 2 grounds from each of the grey wire together.

solder the red and brown to each of the rca terminals. a little tape will hold things together for now. the 2 connected ground wires will simply be soldered to the casing. i found it easier to run the ground thru the hole, so it can be better secured with the bolt and nut when assemble the case back. the solder doesnt seem to stick to the case very well.

bolt the sucker together, ull see the end of the ground wire popping out on the edge of the bolt.. a little drop of solder there doesnt hurt either.

label the in/out

and walla! your done!

*important*: one thing i didnt show is that you also need to connect the yellow wire in that cable to the braided sheilding in the cable. if you dont the digi input wont work.

its always good to do a continuity test with a multi-meter to check to make sure your in/out and going to the right pins and isnt shorted to another pin or somehting etc etc.

caymanreview:
archive material?!?!

wacky:
any chance of doing this mod to a dongle still attached to the SBM? I used to have an SBM with one. It is the same sequence of wires?

I'd like a coax out on the sbm dongle. if it's possible an input AND ouput.

Brian Skalinder:

--- Quote from: wacky on August 05, 2004, 02:26:40 PM ---I'd like a coax out on the sbm dongle. if it's possible an input AND ouput.
--- End quote ---

What do you plan for the SBM-1 to do with the incoming digital signal?

ashevillain:

--- Quote from: Brian Skalinder on August 05, 2004, 02:30:46 PM ---What do you plan for the SBM-1 to do with the incoming digital signal?

--- End quote ---

I wonder is it possible to use an SBM-1 as a passthrough in a chain of portable DAT recorders? What if the dongle was modded to the Oade style I/O to just pass the digital signal from DAT > DAT and patch a JB3 out of the other 7-pin (> optical)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version