Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony 3000ES REVIEW  (Read 20069 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Sony 3000ES REVIEW
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2004, 02:29:20 PM »
alright, I just got my 3000ES today...and after a few hours of listening, I am completely hooked.  I am currently running my Samsung DTV receiver and my Sony DVD/SACD player into the 3000ES through the coax inputs.  Due to the fact that SACD does not feed thorugh the digi input (as I am sure everyone knows) I have that run analog into the inputs on the 3000ES.  My speakers are an old pair of JSE Corporation (the same guy who runs Joseph Audio was the owner of JSE before it went under), and I have to say, the addition of this receiver has completely opened them up. 

Having gone through DVDs (DMB in Central Park, PJ in MSG and Live Aid), a bunch of studio releases and my tapes, I can honestly say I am hearing things I had not heard before.  The sound is very musical...not sure how else to describe it, other than to say I have heard some other playback systems at HiFi stores that sounded almost harsh to my ears...but this receiver sounds smooth....especially on my tapes.  They have a much more "live" feel to them...like it is happening right in front of you again so to speak...the big soundstage has alot to do with this...

I will agree with all those that stated the volume control blows...it absolutely does....seems it take a full clockwise motion to get any dramatic increase/decrease.  The unit itself is also not plug and play...in that it takes some time going through the manuals and trial and error, but that is probably a result of my not having a system built in the past 15 years...and not knowing what to expect.  I am guessing, based on my short time playing with it, it will become inherent...

This will definitely require more listening, but in my short time listening so far, this definitely meets my need for 2 channel...next test...Star Wars DVD...assuming it meetings my HT expectations (and I am guessing it will), I will be ecstatic!

Big +Ts to Darin, Todd and Nick for the reviews and input and Jason for letting me hear your 5000!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 02:31:35 PM by nickgregory »

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2004, 03:27:01 PM »
wait 'till it burns in :)

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2004, 06:33:43 PM »
This will definitely require more listening, but in my short time listening so far, this definitely meets my need for 2 channel...next test...Star Wars DVD...assuming it meetings my HT expectations (and I am guessing it will), I will be ecstatic!

Nick, come over and let's watch a few chapters of Return Of The King. It will blow you away! Now you need to buy my JBL sub!  ;)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2004, 06:40:21 PM »
will definitely have to check that out, now that I got the system hooked up.

As for the sub...I literally have no room left...have to get a bigger house before I get a sub :P

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2004, 11:35:53 PM »
I ordered one yesterday. one of my gifts to myself for being good this year.
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2005, 01:32:46 PM »
3000ES arrived today.  got no time to set it up or give it a test run :(  Though it looks really sweet :)  I don't understand the second remote option yet though  will mess with this beast on the 12th

Any tips or hints are greatly appreciated
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2005, 01:34:37 PM »
second remote is for running it in two different zones...was not a requirement for me, so I didnt fool with it...still sitting in the box...the black remote that is.  The unit definitely isnt user friendly on the surface, but get it hooked up and follow the manual to play with the settings, and you will get used to it quickly.  The more I listen to it, the more I like it :)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2005, 07:58:19 AM »
the only part of these recievers setup that has been eluding me isthe D.C. phase linearization setting under the advanced options.

Doug tells me it affects the bass.
I just can't hear much ...if any...difference between the settings.  I think I prefer it set to off.

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2005, 08:09:40 AM »
the only part of these recievers setup that has been eluding me isthe D.C. phase linearization setting under the advanced options.

Jeesh, this thing is sounding more complicated than a computer :P  Is that setting right next to the flux capacitor? ;)

Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2005, 09:37:42 AM »
yea, it just might be.
:)

other than that, its pretty basic.
- just push the "2ch mode" button", and if you want to, shut off the EQ (tone controlls) to eliminate all DSP.  Set the front speakers up as big/small whatever ...and thats about that.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2005, 10:14:40 AM »
Has anyone compared the sony line with all these gizmo's to the Panny lines.  I haven't read a lot on the internet about people who have heard both.  Just curious.

I wonder about mods to this line though I haven't seen any to date!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2005, 11:35:07 AM »
most people outside of this list and the oade forum are big fans of the pannys...though I do not know how people are running them.
the MODs that I hear about the most for these are done by Boulder Cable.
try this forum:
www.audiocircles.com

lots of fun on this board.  good group.

I"m always fluffing the Sony's here.  Most people who have heard both and comment on them prefer the Panisonics over the Sonys, but then again, they are not running direct PCM, and I have no idea what kind of listening they are doing (multi-chan ..etc).

I've heard the Panny...it does sound remarkable for the money.   They are much cheaper than these Sony ES lines, but then again..they do not possess that DAC magic that the Sonys do.  They just have a good amp section going for them....which, for the record...my 3000ES does not.  Wimpy, imo.  I'm still ratteled by the 50wpc Manley Stingray that I had...and its monsterously juicy/fat bottem end that was 10x richer than my Sony was.  Unfortunately, it needed to be 100w to satisfy my volume desires, so out the door it went.
My 3000es does not quite meet my requirements either, and I plan to put an amp under it eventualy.  I'm just looking for the right one. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 11:38:44 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2005, 12:18:36 PM »
I hang out at audiocircles quite a bit Nick, and rather enjoy reading your posts as well about the sony line.  The panny's get fluffed a ton, and I think that is for good reason.  They are the most detailed sounding amp I have heard, and that isn't many.  I run everything I have digitally, which is where these things sing.  My XR-45 which I finally found after looking extensively over a two month period is at Bolder Cable with Wayne as I write.  He is doing extensive mods to the power supply, and the digital amp section.  I asked him to leave the analog stuff alone for the most part, as I simply just do not use it.  The only time I am using it is for the xbox, even the satellite is digital.  He is also installing bybee's on the digital inputs, as well as the speaker mains, and I am also getting bybee'd nitro speaker jumpers as that is what Wayne reccomended I do.  Next on the list is bybee's nitro speaker wire1

D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2005, 12:34:20 PM »
Ya'll are seriously down with the snake oil!  Modding this and that..... while it may be fun, I'd bet you could get a higher end stock unit of xxx brand that would perform just as good.  More attention shold be paid to the room!  If you think $1k in mods to your gear just think what that money could do to your room.  Improving your room response and RT60 would be the first place I would start before modding all this gear.  If anyone is nearby I'd like to sit down and do a DBT of these units. I'd say save the cash any buy some high end seperates.

I fully enjoy reading all the fluff and I'm thinking of picking up one of these units for my living room system. What speakres are we running with these units?  Do they have problems with different speaker loads? 

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2005, 12:42:34 PM »
unfortunatley most of us do not have a dedicated room for hi-fi. room treatmenst are great but simply not practical in most instances.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com