Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: pcm-m1 newbie questions  (Read 1177 times)

Offline drjay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
pcm-m1 newbie questions
« on: August 24, 2004, 12:12:35 AM »
hi .new to this board and to taping with a sony pcm-m1.can anyone tell me if its possible (or inadvisable)to record a concert of three hours duration on one tape?i have a 120 min maxell and if i set the record speed to sp that makes it 240 minutes. i dont think i will be in a stuation where it will be easy to swap tapes.also will i sacrifice much in fidelity?and do you think a fullly charged set of batts will make it?thanks for anybodys help.j
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 12:20:18 AM by drjay »

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: pcm-m1 newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 12:39:34 AM »
hi .new to this board and to taping with a sony pcm-m1.can anyone tell me if its possible (or inadvisable)to record a concert of three hours duration on one tape?i have a 120 min maxell and if i set the record speed to sp that makes it 240 minutes. i dont think i will be in a stuation where it will be easy to swap tapes.also will i sacrifice much in fidelity?and do you think a fullly charged set of batts will make it?thanks for anybodys help.j

if it's an urgent matter, go to Staples, a computer store or similar office supply chains and find a DDS grade tape such as Sony DG-90P or Maxell HS4/90. either of these 90meter tapes will provide approximately 3:07 hrs. of recording time in SP (standard) mode.  it's going to be quite expensive if you get a DDS tape from Staples, etc.; however, if it's an urgent matter then your choices may be limited. if you have time, visit online places like American Digital.com, cascademedia.com, sonicsense.com, etc. for these tapes.

as for battery life, get some Energizer LITHIUM AA, which will power your M1 for approx. 5.5hrs. if time is not a factor, then i'd recommend a set of NiMH rechargeables like Lenmar 2300mAH or their brand new 2450mAH AA. i run the 2300mAH version and it powers my M1 for about 4hrs.

also, take a look through the Newbie archives for more info on taping with the M1. plenty of good info and good readings for newbies.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline drjay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: pcm-m1 newbie questions
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 12:46:29 AM »
thanks marc that was really helpful. i do have about two weeks so online shopping i go.rush fan huh?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com