Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 460s problem  (Read 4477 times)

Offline jkoch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
AKG 460s problem
« on: August 29, 2004, 12:54:21 PM »
ok, so i just got these and have been trying to run them and come by some problems. i don't know what the problem is and realize there may be a bit difference in the db levels since akgs aren't matched, but it's ridiculous. during total silence in my house i have both mics on set at the same level on the ua5, one is showing no signal at all while the other is halfway up the levels meter on the jb3. i listen and hear nothing out of one, a ton of just wind type static noise out of the other, and they're pointed at the exact same thing...a wall. i ran them at dmb last night and it was the same sort of deal, way down on the left (as in as low as the ua5 could go), way up on the right (as in like 80% of max gain on the ua5) just to try and balance, then during music it was about even, when there wasn't music one channel was significantly (like half of the levels bar) higher than the other..it also seems like one mic has a much higher range than the other and can go from being a lot lower to higher while the other mic stays pretty much constant. i've switched cables, ua5 inputs, capsules, everything so i know it's the one mic body that is rather screwy. i've also checked to make sure both mics are on the same settings and they are. no bass rollloff, no -10db. help me out guys.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: AKG 460s problem
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 12:55:51 PM »
sounds like it/they need a trip to akg to get checked out

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 01:09:11 PM »
yea, well i was hoping for something other than that since i just shelled out $600 for them from someone on here 2 days ago..

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 01:25:22 PM »
are the caps on tight, and check the set screws to make sure they are all tight.  I have 480's and have heard that loose set screws can really mess with them. 
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline Brian

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 01:25:55 PM »
more specifically a problem with the mic body's internal pre.  especially if the levels are that drastically apart.  that really sucks man.  +t for your troubles.  i'd send them off to AKG as well :-\

- of course will just brought a good point as well :)

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 01:32:21 PM »
tightened and swapped capsules, it's an issue with the one body. checked both screws as well and nothing. would the williams mod fix this without having to send them back? i was planning on that anyway, so i may just do that then instead of sending off to akg or trying to get my money back.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 01:32:59 PM »
yea, well i was hoping for something other than that since i just shelled out $600 for them from someone on here 2 days ago..

I'd message them and see if they'd be willing to work with you on splitting the costs of the akg repairs.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 01:33:42 PM »
tightened and swapped capsules, it's an issue with the one body. checked both screws as well and nothing. would the williams mod fix this without having to send them back? i was planning on that anyway, so i may just do that then instead of sending off to akg or trying to get my money back.

definitely worth looking into!

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 01:51:22 PM »
email the guy who does the m,ods... doesnt he replace a bunch of stuff inside, and i bet he could take a look and/or fix it

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 02:36:45 PM »
If you're going to send them off somewhere, you might as well send them off to JW and have them moded while they're there.  ;D
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 07:54:58 PM »
If you're going to send them off somewhere, you might as well send them off to JW and have them moded while they're there.  ;D
will he be able to find and fix whatever's wrong though? would the mod alone fix the problem you think?

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2004, 09:03:23 PM »
its worth a shot with the mod, i love mod.  i can hear the difference, when i was researching the 460s.  check it out, im sure jim williams would check the mics before he mods them and tell what he can do.

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2004, 09:39:35 PM »
i'll give him a call. i'd rather not pay and have them shipped there first if he can't fix what's wrong (before doing the mod). be kind of silly to get one mic modded and have to pay to have the other sent back, then sent to akg, then sent back to him.

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 10:18:42 AM »
Give Jim a call (he's slow with email). I'm sure that he can fix whatever is wrong with 'em. He's a freakin' audio electronics guru. He can fix anything. And the mod is well worth having done. Might as well have it all done at once. Also, Jim's turn around time is super fast. You'll have 'em back before ya know it.
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 12:57:48 PM »
Give Jim a call (he's slow with email). I'm sure that he can fix whatever is wrong with 'em. He's a freakin' audio electronics guru. He can fix anything. And the mod is well worth having done. Might as well have it all done at once. Also, Jim's turn around time is super fast. You'll have 'em back before ya know it.

yep!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com