Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best approach for music & video?  (Read 13189 times)

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Best approach for music & video?
« on: September 07, 2004, 10:18:44 PM »
Ideally, I would like for all of my components (audio & video) to be controlled through one central location, but have each pass through their proper sources to achieve the best sound.  However, the top priority is optimal sound for music and video.

I have friends that listen to their music through tube amps (2-channel) and have a separate solid-state receiver (& speakers) for 5.1 A/V.  I experience 2-channel music and 5.1+ sound for video in the same setting.  I'm hoping to integrate the two into one setup without sacrifice.

One way to look at it...fewer remotes (i.e...one)!

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 09:47:30 PM by phoam »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Upgrading Audio & Theater system (best of both worlds?)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 10:43:45 PM »
I'm sure Nick'll point you in this direction anyway.  :P

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24645.0
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 06:59:31 AM »
Only advice I will give is this, head out and listen to as much as you can!  Buy the best speakers you can afford and go from there.  Search audiogon as well, once you have found a speaker you like.

Offline taylorc

• Taperssection Member
Re: Integrating Tube Amp with Solid-State
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 08:18:27 PM »
Modified the original post for a more specific question.

jpschust

Re: Best approach for music & video?
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 09:57:31 PM »
i run all solid state in my living room and it sounds fantastic, however ive mixed and with the right combo it can sound great.  it all depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend

Offline taylorc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 12:28:05 AM »
I'm seeing a lot of options.  I've really enjoyed this: http://www.devotionsbyerik.com/E-Cinema.htm

I'm not up for spending a "wide open" amount of $ (the numbers could go through the roof), but I am not looking to cut corners.  Performance comes before price.

With that said, I like the idea of my two main channels running through a tube amp for listening to music.  That's easy.  The challenge is incorporating the theater setup around it (considering tube amps aren't on/off...on/off toys).  I'm hoping to pick up on some tips and clues for the rest of the speakers...

Go with a completely separate setup for the 5.1+ (with 5 speakers - not including the two main tube powered ones)
Run the two tube powered speakers for music and video, but power the center and rears separately
Other?

I'm constantly searching around for ideas in order to find a direction, but thought I'd speak up on the subject to see what feedback I could get.

Thanks for the input...

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 12:50:55 AM »

Run the two tube powered speakers for music and video, but power the center and rears separately

I would think this would be the best and simplest solution
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 12:54:52 AM »
that wouldnt sound uneven for lack of a better term? i would suggest a tube pre, big amp, 2 bad ass towers w/ a sub or two. and a get mid-fi 5.1 all in one job that everyone makes. thats my dream system anyway.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 12:55:11 AM »
Why not get a good 5 channel receiver that has pre outs for all the channels?  Then you could run a passive center channel and passive rears through the onboard amps and run the tube amp off the preamp outputs on the front mains.  I've been really happy with my B&K solid state preamp (it's 2 channel, though), and I hear Denon makes good ones in 5.1 and 7.1 as well.

That also leaves room to upgrade amplifiers for the center and rears as your budget allows (if you choose to go that way).

Just a thought...

Edit: I have a B&K PT3 Series II, and I imagine the B&K AVR507 sounds very similar in 5 channel.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:57:55 AM by Lee »
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline taylorc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 01:11:31 AM »
...Then you could run a passive center channel and passive rears through the onboard amps and run the tube amp off the preamp outputs on the front mains...

That was my way of thinking to begin with...until I was told, "Don't know how much damage that solid state receiver does until we try it.  Probably ok until you get into 'very' high resolution systems."  ...In reference to the idea of running, say...the Denon AVR-5805 as you suggested above.

Top priority is the two-channel music.  Then building the theater system around it.  Even if it is feasible, not sure where I'm taking myself looking into mixing tubes & solid-state sound.

Thanks for the ideas...

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 03:59:56 PM »
I'm sure Nick'll point you in this direction anyway.  :P

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24645.0

i just recently went in this direction and I love it so far....

[/fluff]
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

jpschust

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 04:13:45 PM »
i listened to the denon stuff and i used to own a 5803 and honestly, for a little bit more money you can find some macintosh stuff out there that is 5.1 and 6.1 (read the mx-134).  The clarity of this processor is unparalleled.  I have it paired with a mac 206, which is a 6 channel amp.  It is the closest thing to a grace v3 ive heard on the playback front.  clean, clear, warm, wonderful tone, unbelievable representation, and takes for fucking ever to set up the controls :-)

Offline taylorc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 11:48:47 PM »
Have put a lot of hours of research into it...many more ahead of me.  I'm upgrading my speakers as well.  Straight 8's http://www.bottlehead.com/straight%208/straight_8.htm were of interest, but they're out of production.  I've been looking around, but wanted to see if anyone could offer some "guidance".  I expect to move twice in the next 18 months, so I won't really be able to do an in-home audition.

Some of my interests (regarding speakers) are: Large room with a listening distance of 10+ feet, 75% of use for two-channel music, (two mains, center, 2-4 rear/sides, & still searching for the benefits of two subs).  Would like to keep it all under one make. 

Looking for speakers with plenty of air, separation of instruments, and a natural representation of the audio.  Ran Schoeps>AD-1000 for years, so I like my music to sound as natural as possible.  The follow-up factor would be how the speakers lend themselves to video.  Input welcomed...

jpschust

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 12:41:51 AM »
as per speakers i listened to a lot before i bought.  my favorites, far and above, were the b and w nautilus series.  it isnt cheap, but they are good moderately priced audiophile speakers.  the only speakers i really loved more, and were much more expensive, are the wilson watt puppies

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 09:15:09 AM »
Ran Schoeps>AD-1000 for years, so I like my music to sound as natural as possible. 

oxymoron  8)
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com