Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What caps and pattern for stack taping?  (Read 3503 times)

Online ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
What caps and pattern for stack taping?
« on: March 06, 2005, 09:00:30 AM »
Guess it depends on distance. It will be outdoors under shed. Thanks, ts.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: What caps and pattern for stack taping?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 11:33:21 AM »
please god run something other than A/B.... the few stack tapes I recall hearing were run an A/B and it sounds flat and mono. Run a wide coincident stereo pattern and hopefully the phase differences can create some kind of psuedo stereo effect....

If I had to stack tape I'd run cards either NOS or ORTF.... that's all just a guess on my part though based on what I heard and didn't like from previous stack tapes.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 11:38:07 AM »
it really depends on where you are at...running a wide pattern with cards/hypers can put you outside the stack so to speak for one mic and dead on with the other...I would agree though that any stereo pattern (outside of XY) makes for a much more natural tape when stack taping than just pointing the mics at the stacks....it allosw the mics to have some rejection, which gives it a better sound imo. 

I have heard some really nice omni stack tapes (not many out there though), but for the msot part, I would say cards, and run a pattern, usually DIN up close, and if you are a bit farther back, NOS and ORTF can work...just pay attention to where you are and the way the stack is situated....

Online ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 02:20:08 PM »
I hear ya on one mic flaring out too much. Maybe thats why some folks just point them. This will be a DMB show and I see lots of folks doing stack tapes at his shows and cranking stands up high. This will be a first for me, maybe I should just go for some center seats, low stand height, or tape on the lawn.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 02:54:17 PM »
dont bother on the lawn imo

as for the stands that are 17 ft high..no reason to do that, when I have stack taped DMB in the past, and especially true last year with the new line arrays, I ran at about 9' which put my stand well under where the stack started, but by the time the SPLs hit the mics they seemed to be a little more relaxed for lack of a better term..some of the tapes in line with the stacks were a little more brittle sounding

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 04:54:52 PM »
as tim said, anythging but a/b should work just fine :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 05:43:21 PM »
I dont think thats a good blanket statement. For example Darien Lake in Buffalo has stacks on the lawn and my Dead tapes from last summer are great! In fact Id tape there before in the pavillion if I was gonna do a stack because then you wouldnt have to deal with tight rows and people tripping over your stuff...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 06:22:21 PM »
fair enough alex...I was commenting moreso on the amps I tape in...apologies on that...what I have found with local venues is that you get zero bass on the lawn...but that may just be the case with the amps I have hit

Offline Swampy

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 06:30:24 PM »
fair enough alex...I was commenting moreso on the amps I tape in...apologies on that...what I have found with local venues is that you get zero bass on the lawn...but that may just be the case with the amps I have hit
Ya, it really depends I think. Like Starlake out here in Pittsburgh just has these little speakers at the top of the lawn, but some place have stacks! Omnis on the lawn definitely help with the bass thing!

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 06:59:03 PM »
I dont think thats a good blanket statement. For example Darien Lake in Buffalo has stacks on the lawn and my Dead tapes from last summer are great! In fact Id tape there before in the pavillion if I was gonna do a stack because then you wouldnt have to deal with tight rows and people tripping over your stuff...

I agree Alex.  Those stacks for the lawn are sweet at Darien Lake.  I had a great pull for the Allman Bros on Labor Day last year.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 08:44:34 PM »
what I have found with local venues is that you get zero bass on the lawn...but that may just be the case with the amps I have hit

aka WALNUT CREEK!!!  It's like someone robbed that place of its bass.

Verizon in Charlotte is the opposite.  Run low cut in that place or your tape is going to come out like tomato paste.

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Swampy

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 08:47:25 PM »

I agree Alex. Those stacks for the lawn are sweet at Darien Lake. I had a great pull for the Allman Bros on Labor Day last year.
Ya, its so sweet! I wish starlake was like that cause if it was you wouldnt have to worry if you couldnt get good seats. Starlake is just the opposite, the lawn slopes down at like 45* and there are these little speakers way up high. DL has a gentle slope with a railing that makes for easy taping and a huge ass stack. Id run split omnis all the time!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com