Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Would this be a good live recording setup  (Read 6239 times)

Offline jeffbirmingham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Would this be a good live recording setup
« on: June 30, 2003, 12:51:40 PM »
Hey all, I was wondering what you guys think of this setup that I have been thinking about getting.  A Nomad Jukebox 3, Core Sound High End Binaurals w/b-box (DPA 4060's for the mic's) and the Mic2496 preamp also made by Core Sound.  Would this be a decent setup?  Would this setup produce good results?  Thanks for your help.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Would this be a good live recording setup
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 01:36:40 PM »
Well, I haven't heard this particular combination of gear, so...I can only comment on each individual piece:

DPA 4060
These mics are well-known for producing fine recordings.  Do you plan on open or stealth taping?  If stealth, they'll probably work fine but will suffer from crowd noise as all omnis do in a stealth environment.  If open taping, you may want to consider cardioid mics - much more versatile.

Mic2496
Not a clue, as I haven't used or heard one yet.  In fact, I'd be surprised if anyone has heard much less used one.

JB3
Lots of folks use the JB3 here with good results.  Seems like a great way to go right now unless you can find a deal on a low hours, low cost DAT.  Search the archives, though - if you have to convert coax > optical some people have run into problems.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline hypogluxa

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 03:16:38 PM »
Sounds like a good setup to me.  I assume that you are speaking of the preamp that Len Moskowitz is working on (Mic2496).  I have been to the core sound site and the spec's for this preamp look great, possible competition for Apogee & Lunatec.  I spoke with Len the other day and he informed me that he expects to have the Mic2496 available for purchase within the next couple of weeks.  Stay tuned.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 02:18:11 PM »
I have been to the core sound site and the spec's for this preamp look great, possible competition for Apogee & Lunatec.  I spoke with Len the other day and he informed me that he expects to have the Mic2496 available for purchase within the next couple of weeks.  Stay tuned.

I kind of doubt the 2496 will compete with the v3/mme, but we shall see.  And as for delivery time, I wouldn't hold my breath!

Daryan

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 12:46:55 PM »
DPA 4060
If stealth, they'll probably work fine but will suffer from crowd noise as all omnis do in a stealth environment.  

Only if you go to shows at which the crowd is disrespectful and inattentive. Go see Ministry - THERE'S a real crowd!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 01:31:53 PM »

DPA 4060
If stealth, they'll probably work fine but will suffer from crowd noise as all omnis do in a stealth environment.  

Only if you go to shows at which the crowd is disrespectful and inattentive. Go see Ministry - THERE'S a real crowd!

I have to agree with Armen, metal/rock shows are the best for taping.  It is those damn disrespectful hippies that cause all the problems!  ;D

rabhan

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 01:37:11 AM »
its the drunks not the hippies, "god dammed drunks", i am sensing another shirt idea.......

Offline the magoo

• better off dead
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 02:04:24 AM »
its the drunks not the hippies, "god dammed drunks", i am sensing another shirt idea.......
t 100 d00d  :coolguy: gr8 idea
"if u see me comin' better step aside, alot of men didn't and alot of men died. one fist of iron, the other of steel, and if the right one don't get ya then the left one will"

Offline whitenite

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 11:59:42 AM »
I have been to the core sound site and the spec's for this preamp look great, possible competition for Apogee & Lunatec.  I spoke with Len the other day and he informed me that he expects to have the Mic2496 available for purchase within the next couple of weeks.  Stay tuned.

I kind of doubt the 2496 will compete with the v3/mme, but we shall see.  And as for delivery time, I wouldn't hold my breath!

Daryan

I have doubts that it will even come close.  My experience with Core has been, shall I say, less than desirable in the past.  I don't bother dealing with them anymore.  They are not exactly what I would call reputable.  First of all, where are the mic XLR inputs?  I see one input that looks like a TRS or some variation.  I mean, come on...look at this thing!

http://www.core-sound.com/HighResRecorderNews.html

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 01:00:49 PM »
The Mic2496 looks like a shoddy AD-20 ripoff - let's just hope the PDA recording setup works!

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2003, 07:11:38 PM »
yeah...gotta admit that thing doesn't look too pretty.  and no xlr inputs?? WTF? there's not even 2 inputs...do they expect you to use a dual-xlr > single 1/4" TSR connection?  can you provide phantom power that way?  i'm pretty skeptical about this box having seen pictures of it....i mean i'm not trying to judge a book by it's cover, but that thing doesn't even appear to have what we need on it.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2003, 02:08:14 PM »
I think it's meant for CSBs and HEBs, not real mics.

Offline Sean Gallemore

Re: Would this be a good live recording setup
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 08:36:41 AM »
yeah...gotta admit that thing doesn't look too pretty.  and no xlr inputs?? WTF? there's not even 2 inputs...do they expect you to use a dual-xlr > single 1/4" TSR connection?  can you provide phantom power that way?  i'm pretty skeptical about this box having seen pictures of it....i mean i'm not trying to judge a book by it's cover, but that thing doesn't even appear to have what we need on it.

just to clear this up, it has a single TA-5F connector (mini-xlr 5pin) which has a sepreate + and - for both channels and a common ground.  It can prodive different types of power including P48 and 9V.  it will also do 192 but is not marketed as such

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2004, 04:15:19 PM »
Well, I haven't heard this particular combination of gear, so...I can only comment on each individual piece:

Mic2496
Not a clue, as I haven't used or heard one yet.  In fact, I'd be surprised if anyone has heard much less used one.

Paul Rennix was running this thing from SBD to laptop at Northwest string summit.  Of course, it was for the in-house archive and is not-tradable.  I am sure it sounds damn good.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2004, 04:29:05 PM »
Paul Rennix was running this thing [Mic2496] from SBD to laptop at Northwest string summit.  Of course, it was for the in-house archive and is not-tradable.  I am sure it sounds damn good.

Glad to hear someone's using it!  Hopefully we'll get to hear some samples eventually.  But until then...I'm not sure it sounds damn good (or damn terrible) as I haven't actually heard the Mic2496 in action.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com