Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Would this be a good live recording setup  (Read 6240 times)

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Would this be a good live recording setup
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2004, 06:32:00 PM »
I haven't actually heard the Mic2496 in action.

Hey Brian, check out this show:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=21645.0

I haven't had a chance to critically listen to this yet so I'll save my opinion.

cliff

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2004, 12:43:10 PM »

Only if you go to shows at which the crowd is disrespectful and inattentive. Go see Ministry - THERE'S a real crowd!

It doesn't matter if the crowd is "inattentive."  Go to any show and there will be talking going on, people screaming, etc.  Whatever happens around your stealth mics are going to be on your recording.
And that is a bad thing.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2004, 01:35:21 PM »
It doesn't matter if the crowd is "inattentive."  Go to any show and there will be talking going on, people screaming, etc.

FWIW, I've attended plenty of shows where the crowd is respectful and quiet - minimal to no talking, no screaming, etc., and I've heard plenty of stealth recordings made with omnis that sound very good.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2004, 01:36:42 PM »
Hey Brian, check out this show:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=21645.0

Thanks, Cliff.  D/led it at home and will give it a listen.  I won't have much to say about the Mic2496, I'm not very familiar with the mics used and so won't know whether to attribute the recording's sonic characteristics to the mics or pre/ADC.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline surf1div1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 01:52:44 AM »
The Mic2496 looks like a shoddy AD-20 ripoff - let's just hope the PDA recording setup works!

Well, this is an old thread, but thought while doing a search on problems associated with it, I would add my real world feedback.I've used this for over two years, and as of yet, with the limited times it's been used, I've not pulled a reliable recording when doing any High res (24 bit) recordings. That said, I finally after getting some major distortion on the last recording finally took the softwarre developers suggestion to check out my rig- DPA 4061's, PD-Audio, H5555 and whatever. After testing the individual units, it appears the culprit is none other then the MIC 2496. I've sent it in 2 other time before (first for one of the channels blowing, second time for the battery post line-up (it was a mother to slide in a battery , and now, who know's what. So, in retrospect I'm not purchasing anything from Core- Don't trust him, and have wasted not only the bucks on the rig, but also on blown concerts. Haven't seen anything HD based though that is dependable @ high res that I want to try. Check out the penaudio computing on Yahoo to get a feel for it- I've pulled out of that as it appears to be primarily a PD-Audio (read Core Sound Endorsment) of pretty much everything PD-Audio.

Signed me-
Once burned 2XXXX shy.
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: Would this be a good live recording setup
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 05:58:20 AM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles, and +t.

I'm sure someone will chime in with some suggestions for where to go from here (I'm no use , 16/44.1 is fine for me).

Cheers

Humbug
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.215 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com