Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just ordered a 4960....now I need high res audio!  (Read 13374 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Just ordered a 4960....now I need high res audio!
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2005, 07:22:51 AM »
i have the manual, it talks about repeat mode, but it mentions it in terms of the menus on the screen, but I am only using it to playback sacd and dvda
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2005, 07:25:41 AM »
Does anyone need a schematic?  I think I have one if you do.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2005, 08:38:27 AM »
Daryan, about the mods- do you feel that they are as necessary if one purchases a decent DAC, or do the mods have different functions altogether?  Any concerns about dropping the $ for  on a machine that lotsa people experience flakiness with?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2005, 11:02:37 AM »
What about the DVD-A and SACD of this unit?  How are the analog outs?  Are they part of a mod?  My concerns are with the power supply and the digi out.  If I were to get a DAC I'd get an upsampling DAC that will re-clock the crap coming out of this player.  Anyone have the jitter specs?

sc.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2005, 11:15:35 AM »
Here's what the mods do in no particular order, and this is all repeated from what I have read.  I am an insurance guy, not an EE.  Basically all of the mods are changing the capacitance in the signal path.  By increaseing the capacitance, you are allowing for greater flow of electrical signal, which is essentially what the transport does anyway, not unlike any piece of playback gear.  Most if not all of the capcitors are replaced in the power supply part of the board.  If looking at it display side towards you, this would be on the far right hand side with a white outline around it.  The power supply becomes much quiter, as no noise is being generated which degrades the signal path.  The second part of the mod is changing numerous caps in the analog and digital circuit to allow for increased current flow.  Again, reducing noise and making for a much quiter signal.  

Now, the mod that will most likely effect exactly what you are talking about, feeding a DAC, the question becomes are you going to feed it a digital or analog signal?  If feeding a digital signal, the mods above drastically improve the units performance.  If feeding an analog signal, which I honestly have never used, an analog bypass aka swenson mod is the best way to go.  By attaching some hook up wire, preferrably something that isn't garbage, you will be able to bypass much of the extremely noisy analog signal path, and feed it directly to the outputs of the rca.  This is done by putting a couple auricaps, sonicaps, whatever to incrase the signal to a line level signal strong enough to compensate for the gain stages you are bypassing.  This is a marked improvement for the nalaog signal from what I have read.

The other mods I would like to perform here in the near furture are a derivitive of the ones BOBM came up with.

I am planning on doing at least one unit with all blackgate caps, which are a marked improvement over their panasonic counterparts.  They are also four times as much money.  I am determined to figure out what the differences in caps is, and apparently you can hear the difference, we shall see.  I would also like to change out the opamps in the digital path to something with a much higher slew rate, possibly the same ones doug uses in the t-mod if I can figure out the part number, which I have narrowed down to two.  There is actually a newer opamps which I might try.  I have never switched out opamps, but will give this a go to see how feasible it is in changing digital signal path.  Finally, if you really want to get creative, adding bybee's to the outputs of the 4960, specifically the digital and picture outputs would be extremely beneficial.  However, adding 150 bucks in parts for the bybees alone may not be the brightest of ideas.  Oh, one more...if I had a dremmel tool, which I do not, I would probably attempt to add a IEC connection on the back and get rid of the garbage power chord in favor of a ven haus or bolder pc that would improve the unit as well.  

In summary, is the unit in it's stock form any good?  Sure, or we wouldn't be using it for transports in the first place.  Can 150 dollars help it to rival $1000 transports, yes, indeed it can.  You could even take all of this a step further, adding a superclock, rewire, etc, I am just not willing to take the time involved to attempt all of that!  Yes it will help, grace dac or not!

I hope this helps,

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2005, 11:20:35 AM »
Finally hit 1000 ;D

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2005, 11:38:31 AM »
Now, the mod that will most likely effect exactly what you are talking about, feeding a DAC, the question becomes are you going to feed it a digital or analog signal?  If feeding a digital signal, the mods above drastically improve the units performance.

If the unit you're feeding is strictly a DAC, you can't feed it an analog signal.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2005, 11:48:46 AM »
I thought that there were some chassis and transport mods that were effective on that unit. 

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2005, 12:14:27 PM »
Forgot that part.  Dampening is going to be key to reducing vibration and subsequent noise.  You can spend 50 bucks and go dynamat, or run to the local menards, homedepot, big box store and pick up cheap vinyl flooring tile with the sticky adhesive on back.  Add to the top of the tray, and al over the chassis.  Oops!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2005, 01:05:19 PM »
Top of the tray?  I'm not sure what you mean... gonna have to go look around...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2005, 01:48:56 PM »
The actual cd tray, the plastic POS that they use.  I asked a couple of the powers that be whether or not replacing it is an option, and it doesn't sound like it.  Very proprietary apparently.  It's pretty obvious to see.  Take out the four screws, snap off the faceplate, and it will look you right in the face. ;D

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2005, 07:44:10 PM »
What type of vibration are we talking about here?  Mechanical or that due to low freq sonic waves (subwoofers)?  The first can obviously be reduced by some for of damping agent, however to reduce the low freq stuff, mass must be added.  Many believe high build quality only comes in heavy players and for the most part this is true (as long as bricks aren't added to the chassis).  Ever notice the weight on some of the more well known and expensive players (UDP-1, Esoteric, Cary 306 or 308??  Having said that, what is the weight of the 4960?  3lbs maybe?  One may want to experiment by adding a few pieces of marble or granite to the top of the player and place the player on spikes as well.  This may help, may not.  I did try this once w/o any audible difference.  I did just order a 38lb DVD player so we will see how that sounds.

sc

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2005, 08:22:39 PM »
Dampen the transport, add cones to the feet, and if you really want to go cheap, a bag of sand or lead shot on top will do the trick.  Or, you could always get a 300 dollar isolation stand  :-)  One other cheap tweak is to go to wallyworld and grab a bike tube for smaller bics, fill at the gas station, and place folded under the unit.

1005, woohoo, 2000 by August ;)

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2005, 07:05:18 PM »
Insert disc, hit play.  Is something not working?

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2005, 10:11:11 PM »
Nice moke!   I've really been enjoying mine....actually Heather and I were listening to a recording of yours the other night that sounded AMAZING.  THC 1/24/2004  (TL's omni/jecklin -> V3 -> M1)  She was pretty impressed with both the recording and the playback.....so I won a major battle in justifing my purchases!  Thanksfor helping!  ;D
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com