Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853 & spsb bass roll off  (Read 2920 times)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
AT853 & spsb bass roll off
« on: April 27, 2005, 10:33:55 PM »
just trying to get a feel for what most peeps who run AT853's thru a sp battery box set the bass roll off switches for.  i realize that it may have a lot to do with the pa of the room/venue or the type of music, but i was curious if there is a starting point on your rig or a setting that has been consistant with your experience.

the 16Hz is considered to be no-roll as i understand it, which is how it comes set from sp.
i set mine for 69Hz for now, but will entertain other ideas.

thanks for the feedback
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: AT853 & spsb bass roll off
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 08:32:24 AM »
I leave the bass roll-off off. I haven't had any problems with the bass overloading the mics. I don't tape rap or metal shows, though.
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:34:48 AM »
Keep in mind if you go line in the rolloff settings will have no effect. I also keep mine off (and use line in on the JB3) and it's usually good.
I did have some serious brickwalling for Eric McFadden in a tiny bar a few weeks ago but it was amazingly loud. The same mics (AT933s)  phantom powered for the other set came out nice.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 12:41:52 PM »
I didn't know that going line in would make the bass roll-off irrelevant. How/why is that?

(A purely academic question, since I don't use bass roll-off!)
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 03:03:01 PM »
I didn't know that going line in would make the bass roll-off irrelevant. How/why is that?

I'm sure someone else can give you a better answer, but in short they are designed for the mic inputs of consumer gear (DAT and MD). When you have different electronics on the other end (line in) you need to compensate and change the roll off electronics too. A roll off could be made for line input, but all the ones I know of only work on mic inputs.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 08:22:20 PM »

I'm sure someone else can give you a better answer, but in short they are designed for the mic inputs of consumer gear (DAT and MD). When you have different electronics on the other end (line in) you need to compensate and change the roll off electronics too. A roll off could be made for line input, but all the ones I know of only work on mic inputs.

paging someone with that better answer... i am not liking the sound of that.  $20 out the window if be true.  i may have to inquire with chris at sp to get the scoop.  i mean, he knew my gear and that i was recording line in and still was supportive of the roll off... hmm...
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline dhora

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 02:37:01 PM »
I think the roll off does something with line in on a jb3.  When I got my mics, (AT831's) I recorded the same song from my stereo with a few different roll off options (SP-SPSB-1) and if I remember correctly, I got different results with different roll offs. Do a test and see if you notice any differences.

In answer to your question, I've been using 95Hz the most.
AT853h,o, AT831c > AT831 (SP-CMC-2) > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3
Shows on the Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Dave%20Hora%22

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 02:41:04 PM »
I agree, you can get different results with bass rolloff on the JB3.  If you search through some other posts, you have to take the value of abss rolloff selected on the spsb battery box, and divide it by 3.7.  I was at a VERY bass heavy show the other night, and was running CMC-8> spsb-3 > jb3.  After I found out how bass heavy the gig was, i got out the screwdriver, switched rolloff from 69 to 195.  I am going to play around with this next recording session as well, I am gonna try a 999 bass rolloff setting, and see if that helps for the extreme settings...
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 01:15:03 PM »
Keep in mind if you go line in the rolloff settings will have no effect.

I personally have never experienced any problem when I've recoreded with my (whatever the SP version of the 933's) mics and batt. box with roll off on into my JB3. Do as dhora suggested and tape some song being played back on a stereo and change the  roll off during it, you'll notice a difference.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 04:11:06 PM »

paging someone with that better answer... i am not liking the sound of that.  $20 out the window if be true.  i may have to inquire with chris at sp to get the scoop.  i mean, he knew my gear and that i was recording line in and still was supportive of the roll off... hmm...

The rolloff frequency is a function of the capacitors used in the battery box and the input impedance of the recording device.  SP quotes their rolloff frequencies referenced to a recording device with a 10k input impedance.  I measured the JB3 input impedance at 37k.  That's where the "divide by 3.7" comes from. It's not that it has no effect...just less...check these threads
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=38663.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=34938.0

and this thread has a spreadsheet you can use to determine rolloff http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=22222.0
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.159 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com