Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

If we were to offer built-in stereo omni mics of better quality than the mic M-Audio includes with the Microtrack, would that be something you might want? Assume that it would void the warranty (but could be done after the warranty runs out also).

I would not be interested in this at all
76 (86.4%)
I would be interested if it were not too expensive
2 (2.3%)
I would really like to have this option, and would be willing to pay up to $30 for the modification
2 (2.3%)
I would really like to have this option, and would be willing to pay up to $50 for the modification
4 (4.5%)
I would really like to have this option, and would be willing to pay up to $70 for the modification
2 (2.3%)
I would really like to have this option, and would be willing to pay up to $90 for the modification
2 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Would you pay to have stereo mics built into the M-Audio Microtrack?  (Read 10636 times)

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Basically, we are looking for some feedback on this. We have already disassembled one of the Microtrack units and could build stereo mics into the body. The sound quality, dynamic range and self noise would all be better than the mic they provide and, of course, would always be there whenever you needed them. There would be a tiny micro toggle switch to turn the mics on or off that would extend out of the side of the unit, no higher than the jog switch already present on the unit.

Any thoughts on this idea are welcome along with the poll.....

sales@soundprofessionals.com or 1-800-213-3021 and ask for Chris

Thanks!!

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: Would you pay to have stereo mics built into the M-Audio Microtrack?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 10:07:56 PM »
I think a much better use of your time would be to replace the TRS jacks with mini xlr.  This way phantom can be supplied cleanly without noise generated by movement of the plugs.  This I would buy. 

Built in stereo mics are probably not going to be utilized very much by the taper crowd that hangs around here, the only people I see buying them would be tapers "new" to the game, and they usually would not drop the $400 on a microtrack and would go with a minidisc instead.

mics & cameras

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 10:46:04 PM »
The only time I would ever use the included mic is maybe to record a conference or something. Simple speech. I do not see any benefit to upgrading them personally. I like Sanjay's idea. Maybe even add an optical input next to the coax? I prefer coax, but some others might like that idea? A coax/optical output?
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 10:50:03 PM »
Chris most of the folks around here tote around high end stereo pairs, so unless you were gonna jam a pair of DPA 402x's in there you might as well focus on something other than what you described above. 

Now, on the other hand, a mini toslink jack for optical>JB3 would be VERY popular around these parts.

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 11:28:14 PM »
Wouldn't have a use for built in mic here either.

But, since you seem to be the only one connected with TS.com to actually have a Microtrack, how about posting some pics of the unit and it's internal boards. How about letting us know how the a/d and mic pre's sound, and what kind of opamps the mic pre's are running through if any...
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 11:34:44 PM »
Maybe (and it's a longshot) if you put a pair of DPA4061's in there.

I'd rather see upgrades to the preamp. Ideally my perfect rig would be DPA4061 > MICROTRACK and have it sound as good as a moderatly priced pre (like UA5 quality).

I'd also be into extra battery power, although it looks like I'd be able to make that myself. But I'm sure people that don't want to make their own cables would be into that.

Thanks for all the good work.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 11:41:24 PM »
I think that if people want internal mics on a 24 bit recorder they will buy the Edirol R1 for the same price as the stock unit.  I would think that it would offer better performance as well, since that is an intended option.  If your option would raise the price of the unit, which it undoubtedly would, I don't think sales would be too swift.  It might a good "mod" option to offer potential buyers, however.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 11:42:57 PM by goose »

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 11:51:55 PM »
Wouldn't you have to hold it in your hand if you were to stealth a show? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of stealthing?

I can see it now:

Jordache Blue Jean Jacket (inside pocket) > mic-mod MicroTrack @ 24/96.   ;D

Just having a lil' (drunk) fun.

And oh yeah...post some pics!!!  +T for hacking and cracking that sucker so fast!
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

kskreider

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 11:52:40 PM »
Wouldn't have a use for built in mic here either.

But, since you seem to be the only one connected with TS.com to actually have a Microtrack, how about posting some pics of the unit and it's internal boards. How about letting us know how the a/d and mic pre's sound, and what kind of opamps the mic pre's are running through if any...
dB-

Or what the battery life it like, or whether it charges via USB while in record mode, or whether the SPDIF recognizes AES, or, or ,or...

:P

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 12:17:52 AM »
simply a useless feature for most here.  you'd be our king if you could post some detailed info on the unit as darkstar says above.

coax output for patchers would be my biggest request...and built in dither to 16 bit on the output 8)
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline soundpro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 12:22:11 AM »
I think a much better use of your time would be to replace the TRS jacks with mini xlr.  This way phantom can be supplied cleanly without noise generated by movement of the plugs.  This I would buy. 

This is also in the works.......great mind think alike :-)

Built in stereo mics are probably not going to be utilized very much by the taper crowd that hangs around here, the only people I see buying them would be tapers "new" to the game, and they usually would not drop the $400 on a microtrack and would go with a minidisc instead.

OK....thanks.

Chris

Offline soundpro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 12:29:26 AM »
simply a useless feature for most here.  you'd be our king if you could post some detailed info on the unit as darkstar says above.

Understood. For the stealth taper, it's usefullness would be limited. I was thinking in terms of musicians who might use it for sketchpad recordings, people recording lectures, ambient recordings, business meetings, etc. You might be surprised how many of these folks buy small portable recorders like the Edirol, and one of the main reasons they choose the R-1 is it's built-in mics. The mics I am proposing would be better than those in the R-1....

I do appreciate the feedback...... keep it coming!

Chris
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 12:39:33 AM by soundpro »

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 12:37:45 AM »
Just as a note to the confused, it looks like Chris included his reply in the quote there.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 12:39:20 AM by mojomonkee »

Offline soundpro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 12:38:46 AM »
Just as a note to the confused, it looks like Christ included his reply in the quote there.

Oops....sorry.

Chris

kskreider

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 12:44:16 AM »
Just as a note to the confused, it looks like Christ included his reply in the quote there.

Oops....sorry.

Chris

Chris, buddy, come on and snap a few pics of those guts already.   :P (j/k sorta)

Does SoundPros have these for retail distribution already or are your tinkering with a pre-market version?  If the former, um, do you take Paypal?   ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com