Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Squeezebox3 Released!  (Read 12253 times)

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
Re: Squeezebox3 Released!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 03:21:54 PM »
where did you request?

support@slimdevices.com

comments@slimdevices.com
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 09:31:21 PM »
I am playing guinea pig for Wayne at Boldercables as the first owner of a modded sb3.  I will let you guys know what I think.  The deal I got on the mods is well, too good to be true really (parts cost only).
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 09:35:08 PM »
care to enlighten us on what the mods are?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 09:39:28 PM »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 10:15:53 PM »

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 09:29:49 AM »
Mechanically speaking, the answer is yes, about the same.  That said, due to the ergonomics of the unit, it is going to be much more difficult to get everything in there.  Fwiw, I am only having the digital section of it modded, as I am not much of an analog guy and prefer outboard dacs if I have to use them.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 09:57:08 AM »
Cool. I'll check out the mods. It appears from the email I got 96kHz isn't going to happen.  :-\

Martin,

Honestly I'm not sure if 96kHz will be supported in the future or not. If you would like to be automatically notified of progress on that feature, you can add yourself as a CC: to the bug...

Regards,

Kevin P.

I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 10:10:28 AM »
I've been on the bug CC for a long time..  It doesn't really help ;)

Fact is, the remote control and graphical interface are great.  The server performance has problems with large collections.  Those problems go deep into the software. I'm not sure they 'get it' yet in terms of what needs to be done to fix those problems. For years they have only treated the symptoms of bad performance, all while adding new feature after feature (stuff I don't use).

I'm thinking that I'd like to use the remote and display as an inteface and send the audio out an M-Audio Transit. It will do 24/96.  Not sure when I'll have time to mess with it.

My complaints aside, it is still a great unit and there really isn't anything that competes with it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2005, 10:22:07 AM »
I think he's refering to how slow it is to browse the music folder. I have 500 shows loaded into my SB and scrolling through them with the remote is painfull and pulling up the alphabetical list on the web display is WAY slow.

500...big, but not exactly huge, and it's a problem.  Hmmmm.  Painful, and WAY slow is...how slow?  We all have different tolerances for that sorta thing, so just trying to get a feel for your specific experiences in terms to which I can relate.

Freelunch - any specifics on your end about the performance issue you mention?

What is the threshold of "large collection" at which point performance becomes an issue?
Of what type is the performance hit, i.e. dogs down the host PC, or delays delivery of the stream to the player, or...?
How big a performance hit?
Any workarounds?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2005, 10:41:23 AM »

Freelunch - any specifics on your end about the performance issue you mention?

What is the threshold of "large collection" at which point performance becomes an issue?
Of what type is the performance hit, i.e. dogs down the host PC, or delays delivery of the stream to the player, or...?
How big a performance hit?
Any workarounds?

Sorry for the slow response.. I have some work deadlines I've been blowing off while trying to compose something that doesn't come off as a flame and which is fair..  As I mentioned, I have the earliest version of the product.  The new units are far more capable in important ways.  A good bit of the performance issues I see are related to my early hardware.  But there are still issues with the server that bug me a Lot and which have not been solved.

My suggestion is that you setup the server Right Now and start using it.  You don't need their hardware to do that.  You can run a client called 'soft squeeze'.  It emulates the actual player hardware and sends the output to your sound card.  It won't behave exactly like the real thing but it will give you a good idea what to expect.  Though nothing can compare to the convenience of grabbing your remote and hitting 'next', building a playlist with the remote, etc.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.. If you like what you see, I'd suggest going for the 30 day eval. I'll probably end up buying a new unit soon and would like to get the '$100 off on two' deal.  Though I'm not sure if I like the new form factor yet..

Back to my tedious project (funny how I hate invoicing so much even though it is how I get paid).

BobW

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 02:32:24 PM »
Perhaps the same as the SB2?

http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/Detail?no=301

Does anyone know where to get the cool blue woven sleeve on the bolder cables ?
I know that it's been posted, but my searching skills are failing me...

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 02:59:02 PM »
Well I can't afford the box, but for now, using their software I set up my desktop with my external HD full of MP3's and flac'd shows as a server, and now can connect and play it via my laptop in my bedroom or at work. Saves me a ton of hard drive space, pretty nifty, so I'm glad it got posted here!

On a similar note, anybody know about the Olive Musica? http://www.olive.us/p_bin/ It seems like the Squeezebox, but it's also a router, CD ripper and burner, and iPod controller. Looks pretty interesting.
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2005, 08:19:21 PM »
Perhaps the same as the SB2?

http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/Detail?no=301

Does anyone know where to get the cool blue woven sleeve on the bolder cables ?
I know that it's been posted, but my searching skills are failing me...

It's just techflex I am pretty sure.

Daryan

BobW

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2005, 04:43:49 PM »

It's just techflex I am pretty sure.

Daryan

thanks !
Very embarassing, I used to live about 20 miles away from Techflex and I couldn't remember their name...  ::)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 10:41:10 AM »
I got my Squeezebox yesterday, had it up and running within 30 minutes.  This thing is fucking way cool!

They have a link to the Live Music Archive, so I can now listen to shows I taped and uploaded to the archive with out having to go find them.  Ridiculous, but extremely cool!

Occasionally....music mics record

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com