Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone have suggestions???  (Read 3046 times)

Offline poppag76

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Anyone have suggestions???
« on: November 11, 2005, 08:56:01 PM »
I have about 2k max to spend on a rig to go with my D8.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
I was thinking AKG 391s>MiniMe, but I don't want to go overboard.
Berliner CM33->USBPre2->HD-P2(busman modded)

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Anyone have suggestions???
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 09:12:13 PM »

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 09:23:10 PM »
You have a LOT of options for tht kind of cash... You should have nice rig when all is said and done.  Most people here would tell you to jump on a v3 or modded ua5 over a minime but there are some who like the minime.  Most feel it is strong as an adc but not all that as a pre.
     What kind of music do you like?  What type of venues will you be taping in?  Indoor clubs, outdoor festivals, big sheds, ball rooms, rock, bluegrass, jazz... it all makes a differance on what people will recomend for you.  Do you strictly want new or are you OK with used?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 09:30:18 PM »
wow there are many options in your range

I thing the Neumann km100/ak40 that setboy suggested is a good idea. I used to run km184s, which I did not like that much, overpronounced highs, bloated, sloppy lows - I recently got some 140s to fool around with and the difference is huge - I was really surprised as they are thought to be similar mic (same capsule, different electronics).

I honestly thought I was not going to get Neumanns for my 'b' rig - but after last week's Ratdog show in Erie, I am glad I did.

Also the MG200 or 300s are great (and MBHOs)..... and so on....
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline poppag76

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 09:33:58 PM »
I'd say a majority of the taping would be in Music clubs, i.e. The Orange Peel in Asheville, NC, but I was hoping to get some mics to possibly doing some bigger stuff, i.e. WSP.  I've strictly been a SBD taper since 97, but have decided to go the AUD route.  So I bought the ECM to tie me over til I could get the cash to buy something better.  The ECM has been fine in the places that I've been going, but if it isn't loud, the sound is weak.  
I was looking at the V3 but that sets my cash back if its new.  I don't mind used as long as the hours aren't out of this world.  I was hoping to get some advice on buying AUD rig since I've never really been into that part of taping so I don't really know what I need for a complete rig.  I know good mics, but I am going on how much leftover I'll have after a decision of what else I need to make the rig complete.

Offline poppag76

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 09:36:40 PM »
I saw the neumann's, but I think they are running about 1400 for a matched pair.  That won't leave much scratch for all the other stuff I need, preamp, cables, new stand..etc.  At least I have a recording device.

Offline setboy

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 09:40:13 PM »
I saw the neumann's, but I think they are running about 1400 for a matched pair.  That won't leave much scratch for all the other stuff I need, preamp, cables, new stand..etc.  At least I have a recording device.

are going to be doing any stealthing? if not, you could sell the active cables and get some $$ for the rest of your rig

just a idea

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 11:40:47 PM »
I'd say a majority of the taping would be in Music clubs, i.e. The Orange Peel in Asheville, NC, but I was hoping to get some mics to possibly doing some bigger stuff, i.e. WSP.  I've strictly been a SBD taper since 97, but have decided to go the AUD route.  So I bought the ECM to tie me over til I could get the cash to buy something better.  The ECM has been fine in the places that I've been going, but if it isn't loud, the sound is weak. 
I was looking at the V3 but that sets my cash back if its new.  I don't mind used as long as the hours aren't out of this world.  I was hoping to get some advice on buying AUD rig since I've never really been into that part of taping so I don't really know what I need for a complete rig.  I know good mics, but I am going on how much leftover I'll have after a decision of what else I need to make the rig complete.

Well... I don't know how much poking around you hav done here, but you are sure to see we are a pretty tight knit bunch.  There is a lot of gear bought and sold  in the yard sale.  Buying used will get you a lot more, and there are not many deals that go sour here... almost never. 
     A chain is only as stong as it's weakest link.  Some people will tell you put your money into the mics, and some will say the pre, but the truth is they are both important.  Different mic and pre combinations are really what you should look for.  I would recommend going over to the archive and listening to some recordings of mic/pre combos that you are interested in.  I would start with the mic and then listen to recordings of that mic with different types of pre's in different situations. http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 02:58:59 AM »
I think used is the only way to go.  I would find a mic you like and go from there.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline setboy

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 01:36:10 PM »
I think used is the only way to go.  I would find a mic you like and go from there.

QFT

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 01:32:04 AM »
Look for some AKG480's since you have the cash. Spend the rest on a modded UA-5 and a JB3. And you're all set. Plus with the UA-5, you can can do a SBD/aud matrix.
You'll still have plenty left to work with to gather up all the other peripherals (batteries, cables, stand, mounts).  Also, 480's do extremely well with wsp. Then again, akg's do well with most everything  ;D  Hang onto the D8 for patching to other rigs for comparisons or just as a backup.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com