Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new HD tv advice?  (Read 10195 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: new HD tv advice?
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2006, 08:28:05 PM »
Returned my Zenith today & bought the Toshiba 50HP95 50" Plasma instead & all I can say is WOW :o :o  I really believe there was a problem with my Zenith b/c after watching the game last night & enjoying the picture I woke this moring to terrible red push that I could not adjust out of it. I would say it was a defect so I returned it.

All that being said the Toshiba blows it away. We replaced a Toshiba 36" Grand Cinema with the Zenith & never found the picture quality we were used to. My wife hated the pq of the Zenith & felt the colors were always off. I figured purchasing another Toshiba would be best b/c of similar feel of the old set. The Toshiba also uses Panasonic glass vs. the LG glass of the Zeniths. Overall I am FINALLY very pleased.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2006, 09:09:27 PM »
awesome dude.  toshiba's are great, and i'm glad you found something to your liking, cuz that's what it's all about, isn't it?   8)
i wish you many year's of happiness with your new device  :)

Offline EScott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2006, 06:29:20 PM »
All this talk of new tv's sent me out this afternoon to look for a new flat screen for my bedroom.  I saw this Panasonic at Circuit City:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-37-Plasma-HDTV-TH-37PX50U-/sem/rpsm/oid/122687/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Everything I read online gives it great reviews - I'm curious if anyone could offer some advice on best bang for the buck for a 37 inch plasma or LCD.  37" is the max I can put on the wall in my bedroom where I plan to mount it.  Thanks.
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2006, 08:01:24 PM »
No doubt Panasonic has the best glass out there. Pioneer & Toshiba also use their glass. They will typically have the best pictures. I look at the blacks & whites to get a good idea of the pic quality. Go look at them at the store side by side, keep in mind the signal is usually split 80 times so it is crap. Also check the pic settings, they are always jaked up to 80-100% b/c of the bright showroom lights. Drop the contrast & brightness down to 50% or so & watch TV for a while, you will see what you like then in as close a setting to your own house.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2006, 06:33:02 AM »
still lovin my Sony every day...just wish it wasn't so big!
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »
How about the Dell line?  Does anyone have experience with their TV's?  Thanks.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2006, 01:11:37 PM »
How about the Dell line?  Does anyone have experience with their TV's?  Thanks.

Two different friends bought the Dell 50" within the last 6 weeks.  Both got them for $3k (shipping included)

One of them says that he thinks it smokes his 42" Samsung but not quite as good as the Pioneer his brother has which was twice as much $$$.

The second friend went from a Sony LCD to the Dell and says for the price it was the best purchase he's made for his home theatre.  He sold the Sony on ebay right after Christmas.

The thing about Dell is that they put out a good product (not the best but good) they they saturate the market with low prices to gain market share.  I only see this as benefitting me the consumer.  I am waiting for the 50" to drop below $3000 and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one.

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2006, 01:20:58 PM »
2 more questions if anyone can help.  I think I may go with the 37" Panasonic, but the previous Dell comments may change my mind.

1) Is it worth it to have Circuit City install the thing?  They want $350 just for the labor on the install.  I think it only requires mounting the bracket on the wall and pulling wire.

2) Extended warranty.  They want $400 to extend the warranty to 5 years.  Their selling point is new technology, not sure if it's worth the $$.

Thanks.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2006, 01:26:29 PM »
The install is up to you if you are handy, if not have them.  The ESP is another story, I personally never buy them, but for this type of large purchase I probably would.  I did on my 55" Mits.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2006, 04:17:32 PM »
2 more questions if anyone can help.  I think I may go with the 37" Panasonic, but the previous Dell comments may change my mind.

1) Is it worth it to have Circuit City install the thing?  They want $350 just for the labor on the install.  I think it only requires mounting the bracket on the wall and pulling wire.
Thanks.

Why would you pay them to install when you've got Bob Villa living around the corner?

I mean come on, this guy can get anything done..  and on a budget!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2006, 04:47:19 PM »
I am going to buy my warranty from these guys at half the cost. I think a awarranty is a good investment for home service alone.

http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/productlist.asp?subcategoryid=67

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com