Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 393s X/Y or DIN config. for indoor taping  (Read 2782 times)

Offline dave C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
AKG 393s X/Y or DIN config. for indoor taping
« on: December 27, 2005, 02:41:07 PM »
I plan on taping tonite and every nite form now till sunday, and cannot decide which config run with my AKG 393 mics. I have a UA5 with the oade brothers warm mod. I was almost sure i was gonna run XY for most of the shows.

But now after reading ethans post: "I don't like either the 91's or 93's X/Y...I recommend the 93's DIN (6.5 inches 80-85 degrees) and for the 91's outdoors ORTF all the way." I thought maybe ya'll would like to share what config you like to run with your AKG 393s? Please include why you like one config rather than another.

Maybe its just personal preference or its because of available placement of mics. BTW what is DIN?

I'll check back in a few hours hopefully i'll get some responses before I leave for the DUO show.THANKS! in advance. Dave C

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Re: AKG 393s X/Y or DIN config. for indoor taping
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 02:50:29 PM »
I always run the 393's in a DIN-like config... 90deg, and a spacing of anywhere from 20-30cm. I've always found these to give good results. The one time I tried X/Y the bass was almost non-existent... definitely avoid X/Y with the 393's. Good luck with the show!

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 03:09:33 PM »
I've gotten very good results with the 393's DIN. I wouldn't x/y hypers anyway. You put the rear lobe outside the stereo pattern that way. Picks up extra off axis noise instead of reducing it.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline dave C

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 06:32:13 PM »
I always run the 393's in a DIN-like config... 90deg, and a spacing of anywhere from 20-30cm. I've always found these to give good results. The one time I tried X/Y the bass was almost non-existent... definitely avoid X/Y with the 393's. Good luck with the show!

WOW! I have been doing it wrong. I'm about to leave for the show, if you are on line please help tell me how to do DIN config. OR a link with pic would be great! Thanks!

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 06:33:52 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=26461.0

WOW! I have been doing it wrong. I'm about to leave for the show, if you are on line please help tell me how to do DIN config. OR a link with pic would be great! Thanks!

RebelRebel

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline dave C

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 06:45:49 PM »
THANK YOU EVERYBODY!! Hopefully I will not be late!

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 07:06:35 PM »
Yeah, DIN is easy... 90deg angle between mics, and 20cm between capsules. If you're close enough it will be fine.

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 07:01:27 PM »
Seeing how you're going to be taping several nights in a row, your best bet would be to try a variety of mic configurations and determine which one sounds the best to your ears in the respective venue. And btw, I've had great results with the 393's > w-mod running them X/Y.  So again, use this week as a way to experiment using multiple configs. It'll pay off in the long run for sure.

-john

Offline dave C

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 11:37:57 AM »
My tapes are sounding better than ever! The Duo tapes on tuesday turned out real gooooood. I thought I was running them 20cm apart but last night realized that they were more like 17cm apart which (according to the taper i clamped on to last night) is considered DINa?? So last night i used a ruler and ran them DIN (exactly 20 cm) apart. Tonight i'm gonna go with X/Y since i'm taping at the Tower again so i can compare.

As a side note: My NYE plans just changed. I have been blessed! Jamie Shields himself responded to an email i sent last week with great news: there were tickets available for guests of the band and i bought 4. I sure am Lucky!! And really happy! I've seen them (the new deal) several times. Recently at Colgate U. in up state NY. I was the only taper and at the end of the show the sound guy asked if he could have an email to get a copy. I thought it would be easier to give him the master DAT tapes since i also used my JB3. BTW I ran my 393s X/Y that night and have listened to the show a few times since then and I think the base is a bit weak.

Thank you all i really enjoy this messageboard and learning more about taping.  Happy taping!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com