Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need new headphones...  (Read 10306 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Need new headphones...
« on: January 05, 2006, 09:10:16 AM »
looking at Grado SR325's, Senn HD580's or AKG 271's. They seem to be in the same price range, give or take 50$. I don't have a headphone amp, but have this for playback: Sony CDR W33>Adcom GDA 600>Adcom GSP565>headphones???. Iv'e been using a 20 year old pair of AKG 141's and I think the drivers crapped out. Then I bought a pair of Sony's at a local Circuit City, loud but zero detail. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 02:46:04 PM by ts »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Need new headphones...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 09:37:51 AM »
looking at Grado SR325's, Senn HD580's or AKG 271's.

The HD580 and SR325s are both open seal designs, while the K271s are closed seal.  If you can get away with open seal - and I'm guessing you can since 2 of the 3 you listed are open seal - I'd consider the AKG K-501s instead of the K271s.  Do you have a local shop(s) that carries all three so you may listen comparatively?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 10:38:15 AM »
I have Sennheiser 650's with an AKG Hearo 999 Audiosphere headphone amp using an optical line in from my G5 and the sound is amazing........If you can ,check them out..you won't be dissapointed..

Peace
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline ts

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 10:40:14 AM »

The HD580 and SR325s are both open seal designs, while the K271s are closed seal.  If you can get away with open seal - and I'm guessing you can since 2 of the 3 you listed are open seal - I'd consider the AKG K-501s instead of the K271s.  Do you have a local shop(s) that carries all three so you may listen comparatively?

I read a review of the 501's and it said the bass response was better on the 580's. I only have Best Buy and Circuit, so I can't try out anything good.

Offline ts

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 10:46:02 AM »

Here's the reviews. Too bad I can't test drive anything. http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/recommendations.htm. And I really don't think I would go with the 271's, to damned ugly ;D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 11:08:42 AM »
I read a review of the 501's and it said the bass response was better on the 580's. I only have Best Buy and Circuit, so I can't try out anything good.

I've not done a direct, side-by-side comparison, but have listened to both.  I'd say the bass response comment is basically true.  But I think it makes for smoother, more transparent reproduction overall.  While slightly less detailed, I find the AKGs more transparent, with better soundstaging/imaging - very smooth, open, and airy, if you like that kinda sound.  Keep in mind, though, that I'm not a bass hound.  IME trying to squeeze monster bass out of the tiny little drivers in headphones = something else is going to sound screwy as a result.

I think the 501s really need a good amp to drive them.  I'm in limbo right now, with no DAC/amp for my 501s, and though I have grand plans to pick up a tube amp for my K501s to warm them up just a touch and add a bit of low end oomph, unfortunately it's not a priority at the moment.  I suspect you'll be happy with any of the three listed - they're all quality headphones.  Maybe poke around over for reviews and feedback at headfi.org if you haven't already.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pjdavep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 12:04:02 PM »
looking at Grado SR325's, Senn HD580's or AKG 271's. They seem to be in the same price range, give or take 50$. I don't have a headphone amp, but have this for playback: Sony DVD>Adcom GDA 600>Adcom GSP565>headphones???. Iv'e been using a 20 year old pair of AKG 141's and I think the drivers crapped out. Then I bought a pair of Sony's at a local Circuit City, loud but zero detail. Thanks.

I have used the 580's for over a year and was very, very happy with them.  My wife bought me the Senn 650's for Christmas and now I'm very, very, very happy with those  ;D

Initially I had a $100 Airhead mini-amp powering the 580s and that sounded good....but when I moved to a Grace 901 - whoa!

Anyway, I may be putting the 580's up for sale soon if you are interested.  They would need new earpads, which I can't seem to find anywhere...

Later,
  pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 02:02:04 PM »
What is your exact budget?

I would highly recommend trying to audition each headphone, especially the Grado 325.  I personally find Grado headphones supra-aural design to be much less comfortable than circumaural designs like AKG and Sennheiser.  Also a word of warning on the 325, it's very bright and I'm sure in some systems it could be downright unlistenable.  My first high end headphone was a Sennheiser HD-580 and in my opinion it has the highest price performance ratio of any heaphone I've ever owned.  The only word of caution I'd give about the HD-580 is that it does need some form of amplication to sound it's best, though with the price difference between the 325 and 580 you should be able to add a simple headphone amp and probably stay under the cost of the 325 alone.

[I have used the 580's for over a year and was very, very happy with them.  My wife bought me the Senn 650's for Christmas and now I'm very, very, very happy with those  ;D

Initially I had a $100 Airhead mini-amp powering the 580s and that sounded good....but when I moved to a Grace 901 - whoa!

Anyway, I may be putting the 580's up for sale soon if you are interested.  They would need new earpads, which I can't seem to find anywhere...

Later,
  pjdavep

Congrats on the HD-650, it's definately a different beast than the HD-580 isn't it?

Check out Sennheiser USA for replacement cushions.

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/SECPartsFinder.aspx?direct_catlg=Parts

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 02:30:46 PM »
Ok I get it, the headphone amp on my GSP565 pre probably won't make these high end cans sing like they should? What would be adequate/good cans for use with a home system pre? I wasn't planing on buying a separate headphone amp.

Offline pjdavep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 02:56:11 PM »

ts,

The 580s sound decent out of the stock headphone jacks, but as with most every headphone, they benefit from a headphone amp.  The headphone jacks of most equipment suck.

Congrats on the HD-650, it's definately a different beast than the HD-580 isn't it?

Check out Sennheiser USA for replacement cushions.

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/SECPartsFinder.aspx?direct_catlg=Parts

They do sound nice, but aren't fully broken in yet (only 40 hours on them).  Once I get to 100 hours, I'm going to compare to the 580s just to see exactly how much difference they make.

Damn, $40 for earpads...I see bhphoto.com has them for $38.  I can't believe that no other e-tailer doesn't have them cheaper!  Maybe I should just hand wash the ones I have :)

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 04:40:21 PM »
Ok I get it, the headphone amp on my GSP565 pre probably won't make these high end cans sing like they should? What would be adequate/good cans for use with a home system pre? I wasn't planing on buying a separate headphone amp.

If you intend on using your preamps headphone out I'd focus more on low impedence because they'll be much easier to drive and sound much more dynamic.

Grado, Alessandro, Audio Technica and Sony headphones are all low impedence headphones, I'd start looking there.

Offline ts

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 06:01:20 PM »

If you intend on using your preamps headphone out I'd focus more on low impedence because they'll be much easier to drive and sound much more dynamic.

Grado, Alessandro, Audio Technica and Sony headphones are all low impedence headphones, I'd start looking there.

Good advice. Maybe the Sony's I grabbed were the wrong ones. DJ700V's or something like that. Actually the headphone jack/amp on the Adcom GFP565 is pretty nice, so it may be worth grabbing some midrange Grados, or at least a better pair of Sony's. My old AKG 141's sounded good, but the volume on the pre had to be cranked past 7. :laugh:

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 06:29:47 PM »
Good advice. Maybe the Sony's I grabbed were the wrong ones. DJ700V's or something like that. Actually the headphone jack/amp on the Adcom GFP565 is pretty nice, so it may be worth grabbing some midrange Grados, or at least a better pair of Sony's. My old AKG 141's sounded good, but the volume on the pre had to be cranked past 7. :laugh:

I think you'll find a lower impedence can much more to your liking, the dynamics should definately be better than an underpowered high impedence headphone.

Like I said before I'd strongly recommend auditioning the Grados before buying them, they have a very unique sound and some find them to be extremely uncomfortable.  If auditioning is out of the question make sure you purchase through a headphone retailer with a good return policy, I know Headroom and Todd the Vinyl Junkie both offer 30 return policies which would give you some time to figure out if the headphone works in your system.  I've owned a couple pair of Grados, including the RS-1,  and I've ended up selling them because of their lack of versatility and comfort related issues.  If the you don't find the Grados uncomfortable but you're looking for a less edgy sound the Alessandro headphones mignt be a good option for you, they're made by Grado but they have a more natural sound.

My personal favorite option is the Audio Technicas.  After buying a ATH-W5000 I ended up selling my Grado RS-1 and Sennheiser HD-650 but as always YMMV.

Offline ts

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 07:38:29 PM »

I think you'll find a lower impedence can much more to your liking, the dynamics should definately be better than an underpowered high impedence headphone.

Like I said before I'd strongly recommend auditioning the Grados before buying them, they have a very unique sound and some find them to be extremely uncomfortable.  If auditioning is out of the question make sure you purchase through a headphone retailer with a good return policy, I know Headroom and Todd the Vinyl Junkie both offer 30 return policies which would give you some time to figure out if the headphone works in your system.  I've owned a couple pair of Grados, including the RS-1,  and I've ended up selling them because of their lack of versatility and comfort related issues.  If the you don't find the Grados uncomfortable but you're looking for a less edgy sound the Alessandro headphones mignt be a good option for you, they're made by Grado but they have a more natural sound.

My personal favorite option is the Audio Technicas.  After buying a ATH-W5000 I ended up selling my Grado RS-1 and Sennheiser HD-650 but as always YMMV.

Don't think I'll be spending a G  :o on headphones, but thanks anyway.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 07:41:06 PM »
Don't think I'll be spending a G  :o on headphones, but thanks anyway.

I wasn't suggesting the W5000, just the Audio Technica line.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com