Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Apex 435 LD Cardioids - Review  (Read 1391 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Apex 435 LD Cardioids - Review
« on: January 28, 2006, 11:19:19 PM »
Apex 435 LDs - Cardioids

Hey gang - last week I picked up a matched set of Apex 435s on ebay for 100 bucks. Good deal for sure.

I've been running TASCAM PE-120s for the past year. They are the same as NAK300s - so consider these the obervations of a NAK user.

Web page reference

http://www.apexelectronics.com/index.php?tmp=4&id=76

Seemingly well built, solid, heavy. Came with nice shockmount - typical for this style of mic. Silver finish. The shockmount seems a bit on the rigid side - I'd imagine my Sabra-som mounts would absorb more shock. But they do hold the mic nice and tight - I wouldn't hesitate to position the mount in any direction.

Ran NOS last night - about 20 feet back. - Just a bit left of center. Used the dbx386 tube pre. 1st observation - WAY more output from this mic!! - at least 20db differece compared to my Tascams. I had to use the -20 pad on my preamp. Never had to use that before - even with the tascams onstage. And dispite being a bit off center - the mics produced very even output.

I'd call the sound of these "warm". But still more transparent than the Tascams. A bit more extension on either end of the specturm. And none of that plucky low-mid bass that the NAK/Primo/tascam mics are known for. Smooth - levels stayed very consistient all night. Probabaly have to run a solid state pre to get a better idea of the overall sound.

So - for me - definitely an upgrade. If you are looking to dabble in LD mics - this might be nice place to start. </fluff>

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com