Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need New Cans - any suggestions?  (Read 12865 times)

Offline Mitchell (Jake and Sawyer's Dad)

• The old man knooooooows..... very well.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Rock stars... is there anything they don't know?"
Need New Cans - any suggestions?
« on: May 04, 2006, 12:32:31 PM »
I am in the market for new headphones - does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?  I would use these at home with the stereo and when editing movies and music on the mac and with my bass.  I want some that sound sweet, but I dont want to break the bank - any help would be great. If not, I do to the local music store and just start listening!

Mitchell
Bass Rig:

Modulus - Korg DR1 - CAE 4X4
Channel 1:  CAE 4x4 - ADA PreAmp - Decmeter Tube PreAmp - Meyer UX-1 - Meyer EQ - Meyer CQ2
Channel 2:  CAE 4x4 - Boss OC3/Meatball/CAE 150.1 - Eventude 4000
Channel 3 - Decmeter  Tude Direct - CAE 150.1 - SWR 400 - SWR Goliath

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Need New Cans - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »
I am in the market for new headphones - does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?  I would use these at home with the stereo and when editing movies and music on the mac and with my bass.  I want some that sound sweet, but I dont want to break the bank - any help would be great. If not, I do to the local music store and just start listening!

Mitchell

Do you have a price range in mind? 

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:06:11 PM »

Mitchell

Do you have a price range in mind? 

ummmmm......  Under $150 (under $100 if possible.)
Bass Rig:

Channel 1:  CAE 4x4 - ADA PreAmp - Decmeter Tube PreAmp - Meyer UX-1 - Meyer EQ - Meyer CQ2

Offline newblue

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Yeah, well, the Dude abides."
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 01:49:41 PM »
I got a pair of AKG 271s for around $199 over christmas and have really been enjoying them.  They are a good rock n roll head phone, nice detail on the mids and highs with ample bass and decent sound isolation.  Some cans really need some good amplification to allow them to really sing, though.  I found this out after the fact.

Grado 60, 80 and 125 will get you in under $150.  Hard to beat the Grados for the price.

Etymotics makes some awesome stuff for critical listening as well if you want to go the 'in ear' route, they are more money though.

Check out Head-Fi for reviews and comparisons.  There is some really good information there.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/index.php?

To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

TLM170R/KM184 > V2 > MR-1000 [Zaolla Interconnects]

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 01:56:19 PM »
I got a pair of AKG 271s for around $199 over christmas and have really been enjoying them.  They are a good rock n roll head phone, nice detail on the mids and highs with ample bass and decent sound isolation.  Some cans really need some good amplification to allow them to really sing, though.  I found this out after the fact.

Grado 60, 80 and 125 will get you in under $150.  Hard to beat the Grados for the price.

Etymotics makes some awesome stuff for critical listening as well if you want to go the 'in ear' route, they are more money though.

Check out Head-Fi for reviews and comparisons.  There is some really good information there.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/index.php?

Thanks!  +T!!!
Bass Rig:

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 07:45:57 PM »
Let me suggest Sennheiser HD-580's. I have a pair of the HD-600's and just love them. The 580's are basically the same thing with different grills and some other cosmetic differences. About $150 on eBay.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 08:07:56 PM »

I love the MDR-V600 Sony headphones block out all outside sounds they are very flat and anything will drive them well. I think they are the best sounding headphones for under $200 bar none ebay auction link for  $69! I am telling you these will impress you I use them for mixing all the time and for practice for my guitar at night. here is the ebay auction link
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sony-Studio-Monitor-Headphones-MDR-V600-Hi-Fi-New-NIB_W0QQitemZ9719527705QQcategoryZ61334QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mitchell
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 02:43:57 AM »
I have some sennheoser HD485 and love the shit out of them

75 bucks new

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sennheiser_HD_485/4505-6468_7-31341506.html
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 07:36:23 AM »

Mitchell

Suggest Sony MDR-SA3000 as best value and sound to be found, at least so far.  Extremely comfortable, and the most accurate natural sounding/imaging phones in my 30 years of headphone listening.  A pure joy everytime I use them.  At least Sony does some things right!
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 11:48:05 AM »
you guys rock!  thanks for the advice - I guess I have some decisions to make now!  (+T's ALL around  ;D  )

Mitchell
Bass Rig:

BobW

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 05:22:02 PM »
As always, my vote for Sennheisers.
Can't go wrong on the HD-580s if you have enough power to open them up.
That is, don't plug them into an inexpensive "walkman" and expect the full treatment.

Get Senns and at least a Chu Moy-sized amp and you'll be a happy camper.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 05:55:48 PM »
sidebar: are there any relatively inexpensive ($50-100) cans that are noise-cancelling and would work for monitoring while taping? I use a UA-5 and the headphone output is so low that it's often drowned out by the PA's. would noise-cancelling phones even help? thanks...
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 06:06:12 PM »
sidebar: are there any relatively inexpensive ($50-100) cans that are noise-cancelling and would work for monitoring while taping? I use a UA-5 and the headphone output is so low that it's often drowned out by the PA's. would noise-cancelling phones even help? thanks...

The only ones i've found that work for me in most loud concert settings are the Shures or Etoymic in-ear headphones.  I use the Shure e3c earphones and love them.  I was less impressed with a pair of Etomyic's I had at first before I traded and got the Shure's on a recomendation from here.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »
I agree with you about using them for concert use they were designed for in ear use for band monitoring. IMO I feel they are very siblant I do want to get the graduated flange plugs that might help with the bass and maybe the highs will be more balanced then? I dont know what ear insurts do you use with yours e3's ?

The only ones i've found that work for me in most loud concert settings are the Shures or Etoymic in-ear headphones.  I use the Shure e3c earphones and love them.  I was less impressed with a pair of Etomyic's I had at first before I traded and got the Shure's on a recomendation from here.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 09:51:02 PM »
I agree with you about using them for concert use they were designed for in ear use for band monitoring. IMO I feel they are very siblant I do want to get the graduated flange plugs that might help with the bass and maybe the highs will be more balanced then? I dont know what ear insurts do you use with yours e3's ?

I've got E3's.  I've used the standard plugs (both hard clear and softer grey ones) and the flanged ones.  The flanged ones sound OK and insulate well.  I'm getting silicone (?) ear molds made next week.  I'm hoping for more isolation and a better fit.

My goal is to use these for monitoring while recording with body-worn mics.  Sort of an "inverse hearing aid" so I can monitor what I'm recording at a more sane volume.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com