Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need New Cans - any suggestions?  (Read 12863 times)

Offline Mitchell (Jake and Sawyer's Dad)

• The old man knooooooows..... very well.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Rock stars... is there anything they don't know?"
Need New Cans - any suggestions?
« on: May 04, 2006, 12:32:31 PM »
I am in the market for new headphones - does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?  I would use these at home with the stereo and when editing movies and music on the mac and with my bass.  I want some that sound sweet, but I dont want to break the bank - any help would be great. If not, I do to the local music store and just start listening!

Mitchell
Bass Rig:

Modulus - Korg DR1 - CAE 4X4
Channel 1:  CAE 4x4 - ADA PreAmp - Decmeter Tube PreAmp - Meyer UX-1 - Meyer EQ - Meyer CQ2
Channel 2:  CAE 4x4 - Boss OC3/Meatball/CAE 150.1 - Eventude 4000
Channel 3 - Decmeter  Tude Direct - CAE 150.1 - SWR 400 - SWR Goliath

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Need New Cans - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »
I am in the market for new headphones - does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?  I would use these at home with the stereo and when editing movies and music on the mac and with my bass.  I want some that sound sweet, but I dont want to break the bank - any help would be great. If not, I do to the local music store and just start listening!

Mitchell

Do you have a price range in mind? 

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:06:11 PM »

Mitchell

Do you have a price range in mind? 

ummmmm......  Under $150 (under $100 if possible.)
Bass Rig:

Channel 1:  CAE 4x4 - ADA PreAmp - Decmeter Tube PreAmp - Meyer UX-1 - Meyer EQ - Meyer CQ2

Offline newblue

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Yeah, well, the Dude abides."
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 01:49:41 PM »
I got a pair of AKG 271s for around $199 over christmas and have really been enjoying them.  They are a good rock n roll head phone, nice detail on the mids and highs with ample bass and decent sound isolation.  Some cans really need some good amplification to allow them to really sing, though.  I found this out after the fact.

Grado 60, 80 and 125 will get you in under $150.  Hard to beat the Grados for the price.

Etymotics makes some awesome stuff for critical listening as well if you want to go the 'in ear' route, they are more money though.

Check out Head-Fi for reviews and comparisons.  There is some really good information there.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/index.php?

To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

TLM170R/KM184 > V2 > MR-1000 [Zaolla Interconnects]

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 01:56:19 PM »
I got a pair of AKG 271s for around $199 over christmas and have really been enjoying them.  They are a good rock n roll head phone, nice detail on the mids and highs with ample bass and decent sound isolation.  Some cans really need some good amplification to allow them to really sing, though.  I found this out after the fact.

Grado 60, 80 and 125 will get you in under $150.  Hard to beat the Grados for the price.

Etymotics makes some awesome stuff for critical listening as well if you want to go the 'in ear' route, they are more money though.

Check out Head-Fi for reviews and comparisons.  There is some really good information there.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/index.php?

Thanks!  +T!!!
Bass Rig:

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 07:45:57 PM »
Let me suggest Sennheiser HD-580's. I have a pair of the HD-600's and just love them. The 580's are basically the same thing with different grills and some other cosmetic differences. About $150 on eBay.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 08:07:56 PM »

I love the MDR-V600 Sony headphones block out all outside sounds they are very flat and anything will drive them well. I think they are the best sounding headphones for under $200 bar none ebay auction link for  $69! I am telling you these will impress you I use them for mixing all the time and for practice for my guitar at night. here is the ebay auction link
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sony-Studio-Monitor-Headphones-MDR-V600-Hi-Fi-New-NIB_W0QQitemZ9719527705QQcategoryZ61334QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mitchell
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 02:43:57 AM »
I have some sennheoser HD485 and love the shit out of them

75 bucks new

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sennheiser_HD_485/4505-6468_7-31341506.html
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 07:36:23 AM »

Mitchell

Suggest Sony MDR-SA3000 as best value and sound to be found, at least so far.  Extremely comfortable, and the most accurate natural sounding/imaging phones in my 30 years of headphone listening.  A pure joy everytime I use them.  At least Sony does some things right!
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 11:48:05 AM »
you guys rock!  thanks for the advice - I guess I have some decisions to make now!  (+T's ALL around  ;D  )

Mitchell
Bass Rig:

BobW

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 05:22:02 PM »
As always, my vote for Sennheisers.
Can't go wrong on the HD-580s if you have enough power to open them up.
That is, don't plug them into an inexpensive "walkman" and expect the full treatment.

Get Senns and at least a Chu Moy-sized amp and you'll be a happy camper.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 05:55:48 PM »
sidebar: are there any relatively inexpensive ($50-100) cans that are noise-cancelling and would work for monitoring while taping? I use a UA-5 and the headphone output is so low that it's often drowned out by the PA's. would noise-cancelling phones even help? thanks...
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 06:06:12 PM »
sidebar: are there any relatively inexpensive ($50-100) cans that are noise-cancelling and would work for monitoring while taping? I use a UA-5 and the headphone output is so low that it's often drowned out by the PA's. would noise-cancelling phones even help? thanks...

The only ones i've found that work for me in most loud concert settings are the Shures or Etoymic in-ear headphones.  I use the Shure e3c earphones and love them.  I was less impressed with a pair of Etomyic's I had at first before I traded and got the Shure's on a recomendation from here.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »
I agree with you about using them for concert use they were designed for in ear use for band monitoring. IMO I feel they are very siblant I do want to get the graduated flange plugs that might help with the bass and maybe the highs will be more balanced then? I dont know what ear insurts do you use with yours e3's ?

The only ones i've found that work for me in most loud concert settings are the Shures or Etoymic in-ear headphones.  I use the Shure e3c earphones and love them.  I was less impressed with a pair of Etomyic's I had at first before I traded and got the Shure's on a recomendation from here.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 09:51:02 PM »
I agree with you about using them for concert use they were designed for in ear use for band monitoring. IMO I feel they are very siblant I do want to get the graduated flange plugs that might help with the bass and maybe the highs will be more balanced then? I dont know what ear insurts do you use with yours e3's ?

I've got E3's.  I've used the standard plugs (both hard clear and softer grey ones) and the flanged ones.  The flanged ones sound OK and insulate well.  I'm getting silicone (?) ear molds made next week.  I'm hoping for more isolation and a better fit.

My goal is to use these for monitoring while recording with body-worn mics.  Sort of an "inverse hearing aid" so I can monitor what I'm recording at a more sane volume.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 10:22:21 PM »
Yes that’s what I use mine for as well. I had custom ear molds for my real in-ear monitors I paid $120 for molds had to go to audiologist to get them fitted.

Chris Church

I've got E3's.  I've used the standard plugs (both hard clear and softer grey ones) and the flanged ones.  The flanged ones sound OK and insulate well.  I'm getting silicone (?) ear molds made next week.  I'm hoping for more isolation and a better fit.

My goal is to use these for monitoring while recording with body-worn mics.  Sort of an "inverse hearing aid" so I can monitor what I'm recording at a more sane volume.

Richard

Offline cgresq192

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006, 01:00:49 PM »
Sony 7506's     The industry standard, best cans you can get for extremely accurate and great sounding cans. They dont' lie.

DPA 4061's > CA-9100>(3wire)>R-09HR
SPCMC4(AT853's)>CA-9100(3wire)>R-09HR

Albix714

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 11:43:06 AM »
I picked up a pair of Grado 60 headphones recently. I use them for computer audio work. Didn't want t spend a mint and they were $70.00. They sound great and they are made in the USA (Brooklyn, NY). Grado Labs has been in business since the 50's making HQ phonograph cartrages. If you want reference headphones, they make them also.  http://www.gradolabs.com/

RebelRebel

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 01:11:02 PM »

Mitchell

I love etymotic er-4s...before that I was using Senn HD600s(600 dollar pair of phones) but the  etys blow them away, IMHO...especially for editing. Much cheaper too. I bought my wife the ER-6(?) and those are fantastic too..

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:12:36 PM by Teddy »

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 01:13:06 PM »

Mitchell

where would one find these..? these are the noise cancelling ones you would wear as earplugs at gigs, right..?

I love etymotic er-4s...before that I was using Senn HD600s(600 dollar pair of phones) but the 250.00 etys blow them away, IMHO...especially for editing.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 01:51:49 PM »

I love etymotic er-4s...before that I was using Senn HD600s(600 dollar pair of phones) but the  etys blow them away, IMHO...especially for editing. Much cheaper too. I bought my wife the ER-6(?) and those are fantastic too..

I had the ER-4s, I picked up a set of Ultimate Ears super.fi 5Pro's (about $50 less than the ER-4's) and immediately boxed up the ER-4s.  The ER-4's lacked the lower end, and the detail while amazing was very fatiguing not too mention they were a bitch to get seated properly.  The 5Pro's don't need to be shoved in until they touch your brain to sound good, but they don't offer as much isolation, but I've found it to be plenty even in louder rock show settings.

my $0.02
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

RebelRebel

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 02:06:45 PM »
Interesting. I dont really look for low end,only accuracy, with minimal coloration.., as I use them to make  decisions on recording jobs. Ive run through many sets of phones and earbuds, from 100 dollars to 1,000, and the 4s are the best ive ever used. I dont see the fatigue thing either, as I use them all the time for concerts in excess of 3-4 hours. My earmolds are custom made, so they fit perfectly. ive never heard of ultimate ears. Ill check em out.

I had the ER-4s, I picked up a set of Ultimate Ears super.fi 5Pro's (about $50 less than the ER-4's) and immediately boxed up the ER-4s.  The ER-4's lacked the lower end, and the detail while amazing was very fatiguing not too mention they were a bitch to get seated properly.  The 5Pro's don't need to be shoved in until they touch your brain to sound good, but they don't offer as much isolation, but I've found it to be plenty even in louder rock show settings.

my $0.02

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 05:17:03 PM »
Interesting. I dont really look for low end,only accuracy, with minimal coloration.., as I use them to make  decisions on recording jobs. Ive run through many sets of phones and earbuds, from 100 dollars to 1,000, and the 4s are the best ive ever used. I dont see the fatigue thing either, as I use them all the time for concerts in excess of 3-4 hours. My earmolds are custom made, so they fit perfectly. ive never heard of ultimate ears. Ill check em out.

http://www.ultimateears.com/

I don't have the UE-10's but I find the ER-5's well worth the money.  Whether recording classical, jazz, rock whatever, I want low end, what's accuracy if you don't have the bottom end?  Part of why I found them fatiguing could probably be attributed to the way they fit, I didn't have molds, no matter how I had them seated in my ear the upper end was like pins and needles, perhaps a bit too much treble.  They could definitely find the higher registers, but it was a bit much to me.  The Ultimate Ears are a bit smoother, not AS extended, but that's the part I loved AND dislked about the ER-4's. (double edged sword kinda deal) Def. check them out, headphones.com had the best price, if you want a set and you want to save a couple $ on shipping shoot me a PM, for some manuf. ex: Grado they can't sell dirrectly to europe, I don't think it's a problem with these.

The UE-10's are more of a studio monitor, also look into the UE-7's as well.  If you want to stay under the $200 range the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5Pro's list for $250, but they can be picked up @ Guitar Centers for about $186 (if you talk them down) or $199 @ headphone.com.

A few that use the UE's:  ;)

http://www.ultimateears.com/custom/artists__static__file-artists.html

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 05:25:13 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 09:16:08 PM »
You can find the Hd600's in the US for under $300.00 no need to spend $600.00
http://salestores.com/sehdtrovopdy.html

Mitchell

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 10:38:32 PM »

headphone.com sells them for under $300, since the newer 650's came out they dropped in price.  Even the 650's you can score for under $400 if you shop wisely.  They also have a 30 Day Guaranty (which I've used once before with zero hassles).  Try something out, if it's not your thing, send em back.

Our 30 Day Guaranty

Unless specifically stated otherwise, all HeadRoom purchases come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee in order to give you the opportunity to evaluate your purchases. We're happy to provide you with the opportunity to refund or exchange your product, but to keep costs down we do have a few conditions. (Don't worry, the vast majority of returns are refunded; we just need to make our return policy one that's fair to everyone).

Conditions: Products must be returned to us within 30 days of the date you receive the product. So make sure you try your purchase out right away! (It’s amazing how many people say they left the country for a while and didn’t have a chance to listen before they left.)

RebelRebel

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 08:00:53 AM »
When I got these hd600s a LONG time ago, they werent cheap anywhere.

Mitchell

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 01:59:26 PM »
I have a pair of Senn HD650's I would be willing to sell for $250 if anyone wants them.
They only have about 2 hours use on them.
I just don't care for headphones I'd rather be in front of my Eggleston Works Andra II's and feel the bass.

Edit  these are sold.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 08:25:07 PM by Wiggler »

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 08:17:34 PM »
What????  The V600's are anything but flat.  Honky, screeching highs, thick muddy bass makes them one of the most incoherent headphones ever created.  I don't understand how anyone who does studio work could think they are a good headphone.  Sure you ain't confusing them for the V6's or 7506's?  Those are the studio standard.

I think the V6's/7506's are one of the best headphones you can buy for under $100 for a closed headphone.  Good sound & rock solid construction.  I've owned my 7506's for 5 years and they are in great shape.  I would also recommend Grado's, but they sure are bright and can be downright umcomfortable due to their design for some people.  The higher end Sennheisers require an amp to sound good.  The HD580, HD600 & HD600 are scalable in terms of sound quality (upgrade their cables, different amps make em sound different).  Tubes work great with the Sennheisers.  Tubes also relax the peaky treble with Grado's and blossom their midrange a bit.   I also own a pair of shure e2c's and they are a solid performer, but are very source dependant. 

I love the MDR-V600 Sony headphones block out all outside sounds they are very flat and anything will drive them well. I think they are the best sounding headphones for under $200 bar none ebay auction link for  $69! I am telling you these will impress you I use them for mixing all the time and for practice for my guitar at night. here is the ebay auction link
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sony-Studio-Monitor-Headphones-MDR-V600-Hi-Fi-New-NIB_W0QQitemZ9719527705QQcategoryZ61334QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mitchell
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Chuck

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 09:12:55 PM »
What????  The V600's are anything but flat.  Honky, screeching highs, thick muddy bass makes them one of the most incoherent headphones ever created.  I don't understand how anyone who does studio work could think they are a good headphone.  Sure you ain't confusing them for the V6's or 7506's?  Those are the studio standard.

I think the V6's/7506's are one of the best headphones you can buy for under $100 for a closed headphone.  Good sound & rock solid construction.  I've owned my 7506's for 5 years and they are in great shape.  I would also recommend Grado's, but they sure are bright and can be downright umcomfortable due to their design for some people.  The higher end Sennheisers require an amp to sound good.  The HD580, HD600 & HD600 are scalable in terms of sound quality (upgrade their cables, different amps make em sound different).  Tubes work great with the Sennheisers.  Tubes also relax the peaky treble with Grado's and blossom their midrange a bit.   I also own a pair of shure e2c's and they are a solid performer, but are very source dependant. 

Mitchell

I have to agree that the Sony V600's are anything but flat. I own a pair. They are the only closed headphones I have owned. They do a decent job of isolation in load environments, but I would never trusted them for mixing. I don't ever use then anymore. They might be OK for monitoring your guitar playing at home, but not much else.

I am a Sennheiser fluffer. I own, use and trust the HD600's (with an amp) for mixing and serious listening.

Chuck

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 08:25:17 AM »
I have been into a lot of “world class” recording studios that have these headphones. BTW no one mixes on headphones these days ( when I said I mix with them I ment I use them as a quick means to do a fast line check at a festival where you have no sound check time)  I find the Sony MDRV-600 to be very good, maybe you heard a bad pair it does happen. I suspect there are also some knock offs floating around that Sony does not want anyone to know about. The Pair I bought about 4 years ago I paid $160 when they first came out. I do not use headphones as the end all and be all for mixing, but I do use them for a quick reference.

NO headphone is FLAT, because of the very nature of headphones and how they are loaded down by the ear surface/ ear canal and ear to headphone seal (different on every human) they will sound different.

IMO I find the bass is very good and not muddy, I wanted to get the Pro series but Sony said there were no longer making them so I purchased these. I was going on a tour and did not have time to look around. And by the way the drivers in these headphones are the same ones as the pro series.

It’s Just my opinion that these headphones are a great value. You don’t have to jump down my throat and say WHAT! THESE ARE JUNK that’s your opinion.

I think a big problem here at T.S and I have been guilty of it too is we tend to jump down one another’s throats! We need to just listen to one another and not be so judgmental. So what I like Sony 600 headphones, why make a big deal out of it???

Can’t we all just get along? and be one happy audio obsessed family :)

Chris Church

Mitchell
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:30:23 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 10:38:46 AM »
I love the koss porta pro they are great headphones for walkman type stuff. I had a pair of old Sennheiser HD-40 headphones that I loved, the ones with the Yellow earpads they had a great sound. I wonder how the electrostatic stuff sounds I have never heard them.

Chris Church

I can hardly stand listening to the Sony 7506 cans. I hear too much plastic can.
I needed closed, power sensitive cans that sounded good on M1/D10's inefficient h.phone output.
These cans sounded alright on intital listen, but, my ears don't care for them for any sort of extended, critical listening.

Offline George

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2006, 11:48:51 AM »
I can hardly stand listening to the Sony 7506 cans. I hear too much plastic can.
I needed closed, power sensitive cans that sounded good on M1/D10's inefficient h.phone output.
These cans sounded alright on intital listen, but, my ears don't care for them for any sort of extended, critical listening.

That's the M1's crummy headphone out talking.  It's quite lifeless, no matter what headphone I tried it turned them into a flat, lifeless headphone experience.  I honestly think the headphone out just stinks.

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2006, 11:56:28 AM »

I agree with pretty much all of the above.

Offline George

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2006, 11:58:46 AM »
Chris, I'm not jumping down your throat, but the consensus is that the V600's are a terrible headphone unless you like rap & hip hop music.  They are the equivalent to those bad car stereo's people get installed that have bass that farts and screechy treble.  Try a pair of V6's, they can be purchased for $69 US and will run circles around the V600's.

I gotta admit, I'm a little surprised you like them.  I've personally never listened to them, but I've owned (unfortunately) many dj style headphones or headphones that were sold for professionals that just sucked (ie. Denon).  The V6's are not flat, imho, but are very analytical, which is good for audio engineers.  Not so sure about engineers not using them in studio's, I know they get used a lot in radio though.

If those world class studio's are using V600's, that might explain why engineers are screwing up so many recordings these days with over using compression and killing dynamics.

-George

ps.  I own a few Stax electrets and a pair of Sennheiser electrostatics cans.  The midrange on the electrets is sweet, but they lack bass quite a bit.  The senn's are good, but I need to replace the stock amp, it stinks.

I have been into a lot of “world class” recording studios that have these headphones. BTW no one mixes on headphones these days ( when I said I mix with them I ment I use them as a quick means to do a fast line check at a festival where you have no sound check time)  I find the Sony MDRV-600 to be very good, maybe you heard a bad pair it does happen. I suspect there are also some knock offs floating around that Sony does not want anyone to know about. The Pair I bought about 4 years ago I paid $160 when they first came out. I do not use headphones as the end all and be all for mixing, but I do use them for a quick reference.

NO headphone is FLAT, because of the very nature of headphones and how they are loaded down by the ear surface/ ear canal and ear to headphone seal (different on every human) they will sound different.

IMO I find the bass is very good and not muddy, I wanted to get the Pro series but Sony said there were no longer making them so I purchased these. I was going on a tour and did not have time to look around. And by the way the drivers in these headphones are the same ones as the pro series.

It’s Just my opinion that these headphones are a great value. You don’t have to jump down my throat and say WHAT! THESE ARE JUNK that’s your opinion.

I think a big problem here at T.S and I have been guilty of it too is we tend to jump down one another’s throats! We need to just listen to one another and not be so judgmental. So what I like Sony 600 headphones, why make a big deal out of it???

Can’t we all just get along? and be one happy audio obsessed family :)

Chris Church

Mitchell

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2006, 12:06:59 PM »
Well - I ended up getting the V600's and quite frankly, I like them a lot. I am mainly using them just for my ipod and stereo at home (we have a newborn, so I cant crank the stereo and surround as much anymore!)  I dont listen to rap or hip hop, and I think they sound just fine.  I am also using them in my home studio and to practice my bass.  So far, everything seems a-ok to me and I havent heard any of the "Honky, screeching highs, thick muddy bass" complained of above.  Maybe my ears just suck, though.
Bass Rig:

Offline George

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 12:40:22 PM »

That's the M1's crummy headphone out talking.  It's quite lifeless, no matter what headphone I tried it turned them into a flat, lifeless headphone experience.  I honestly think the headphone out just stinks.

Its that way with everything I try.
I mentioned the M1, as that was the reason I bought them. They were very efficient with a low output 'phone jack.

I mention hearing plastic.
I wore them unplugged at the last loud show that I was at (Los Lobos, forever ago). I forgot my ear plugs, so I wore the cans over my ears, unplugged.
The concerts spl's were loud enough to cause the outer shells flat surface to flex in and out. That flexing was imparting an entirely uncomfortable ear crushing pressure of its own. And now whenever I listen to them, I hear the cans.
:shrugs:

I was raised on Sennheisers open-aire headphones, and I'll likely get those again at some point in the future (for at home listening).
The sony pleather ear cusions started undoing recently, so, it'll be time to get new phones before too long.

Mr. fancy pants.   ;D

By the way, you can swap out those cruddy pleather pads for some comfy beyerdynamic velour pads:  http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162040&highlight=beyerdynamic+velour+sony

Try it out if you're interested.

Mr. Eko,

It's ok, we all do hear differently.   ;)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Chuck

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2006, 02:07:31 PM »
Well - I ended up getting the V600's and quite frankly, I like them a lot. I am mainly using them just for my ipod and stereo at home (we have a newborn, so I cant crank the stereo and surround as much anymore!)  I dont listen to rap or hip hop, and I think they sound just fine.  I am also using them in my home studio and to practice my bass.  So far, everything seems a-ok to me and I havent heard any of the "Honky, screeching highs, thick muddy bass" complained of above.  Maybe my ears just suck, though.

I've compared the Sony V600's to Sennheiser HD600's and AKG K-240's directly and I was amazed at how colored they sound compared to those. Again, everybody has their own idea of what sounds good to them.... and I don't have golden ears by any stretch. Some guys can mix a great recording using Yamaha NS-10 monitors. Not me...

As far as mixing with headphones, I trust the HD600's for finding a solid center position for parts of a mix. My current home DAW set-up isn't ideal acoustically and I rely on the HD600's to give me a reference that I know and trust.

Actually I did find a good use for the V600's... I used them to break in a headphone amp, so I wouldn't put the extra time on my Sennheisers  ;D

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2006, 07:29:34 PM »

I was raised on Sennheisers open-aire headphones, and I'll likely get those again at some point in the future (for at home listening).
The sony pleather ear cusions started undoing recently, so, it'll be time to get new phones before too long.

Moke, if you're considering opens again, check out the akg k701's, I love em.  Detailed, GREAT low end (but not tubby), just smooth but not relaxed, the high end is damn purdy. (can find em for just under 3 bills)  I haven't tried Senns yet, but I picked up a pair of 650's so I can compare them side-by-side.

Offline George

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2006, 08:18:43 PM »
Moke, you should also look into a headphone amp.  C'mon...I know you want one.... >:D

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 03:39:33 AM »
Headphone choices is like asking people what's the best available shoe to consider for puchase.  Everyone walks a bit differently and over everchanging terrain where best choice of one shoe is most specific to personal requirements

Some general consideration with few exceptions on headphone choice

1) Most natural sound/imaging are from open types, best isolation/bass is from closed 'can' and sealed in-ear type phones.

EXCEPTIONS: In my experience the most natural sounding 'closed' phone is the long departed Sony MDR-D77.  A folding 40mm closed/ported design with very strong tight bass sound, and sense of exceptional wide bandwidth detail; with usual lousy imaging and a pain to put on.  Excellent quality-monitoring field phone.  Been out of production for 10 years, and I still get email from people wanting a set as there is NO close feature/performance equivalent as yet.  Best sounding bass I've yet to hear is from open type MDR-SA3000.

2) Best sound mostly from 40 - 50mm size diaphragms for closed and open dynamic type

3) 24-to-70 ohm/>100dB SPL output for 1 milliwatt input sensitivity is desirable for good performance/loudness with battery/computer powered headphone outputs.

4) Most all headphones WILL more or less sound differently with EACH headphone amplifier that's driving it.  Long cords are most usable feature, but present design challenges for lowest distortion phones performance.

5) Model numbers do NOT change, but materials/components to make these models DO CHANGE.

Example is my experience with origininal V6 purchased mid-to early 80's.  I loved the natural sounding excellent detail of those phones, expecially if driven with a good amplifier.  10 years later, wanted a second set but every V6 purchased, also tried V600, V7506 Grado SR60, sounded noticeably inferior, at least compared to the definition/clarity still heard on the original V6. 

Figured that different V6 components were being used, and it all added up to NOT being a V6 I could live with.  Settled for V900 as judged best available, but found this set limited and most useful for having long cord, good isolation sound check purpose, and being much easier to put on/take off than most favored D77 with a bit too short a cord for some purposes. 

Later tried and liked very accurate Jecklin electrostatic float phones with 4x4 inch diaphragms, Sony MDR-D77, MDR-F1, MDR-CD2000 in order of acquiring, and currently (in production) MDR-SA3000 as likely one THE best performing open dynamic phones AND the best dollar value ever found.   

The SA3000 are now my personal 'fully usable for recording mastering' favorites.   Would like to try the costly SA5000 model sometime as the SA1000 model sucked, especially in comparison to the SA3000, so naturally wonder what the SA5000 is like.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RebelRebel

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2006, 07:50:38 AM »
The stax electrostatic phones are the most extrordinary cans (outside of my er-4) that ive ever heard..blew me away.
really pricey though.

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2006, 09:57:24 AM »
I got and returned a pair of Etymotics ER-6 phones last week.  Not enough bass.
Thought about the ER-6i's, which have better bass response, but decided on
upgrading to the ER-4Ps which sound great.  $179 @ J&R incl shipping.

Primary use would be monitoring while recording live.

/Ken
retired

BobW

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2006, 01:15:19 AM »

/Ken

FWIW, I don't know of anything better than the Etymotics for live monitoring in or near the"impact zone"
Sennheisers otherwise. It's also a very fun word to spell..   ;D

RebelRebel

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2006, 02:20:30 PM »
Indispensible! I got tired of dragging my B+W speakers to gigs to monitor with, and havent missed them a bit using the Etys!

as far as my "non-work" earphones go, Ive been REALLY loving the Stax SR-303....Man, them are some damn FINE cans!!! I wouldnt use them live, but for easy listening, hell!

http://www.stax.co.jp/ENG/products.html

/Ken

FWIW, I don't know of anything better than the Etymotics for live monitoring in or near the"impact zone"
Sennheisers otherwise. It's also a very fun word to spell..   ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.162 seconds with 68 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com