Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mystery noise. Please help! (ACM660 issue?)  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
mystery noise. Please help! (ACM660 issue?)
« on: June 21, 2006, 12:54:46 AM »
Hi folks.  Just taped my first acoustic jazz show tonight and upon re-listening found a wierd noise throughout the recording. It's particularly strong in the right channel, kind-of a wierd ticking.  To my knowledge my recorder wasn't beside a mobile phone, but I may be wrong.  Never had it happen with my 853>UA-5>JB3 setup, so I"m thinking it might be related to the Marantz recorder. Anyone able to help identify the noise?

Thanks!

I'm attaching a quick sample. Listen during the silent pauses.

Edit: I should add that I was running the levels at almost full since the show was unamplified. However, I'd hope that I could still get relatively noise-free recordings.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:57:53 AM by Unitmonster »
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
Re: mystery noise. Please help! (ACM660 issue?)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 01:54:20 AM »
minor other update. Went back and checked the recording I did outdoors a few nights ago and can't seem to find any noise on it.  Levels were lower for that one though.  The other difference was that I ran X/Y instead of HRTF, but I can't see that having an impact...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 07:53:12 AM »
strange.
verify its the recorder and then send it back to Doug.

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 08:31:21 PM »
I have a stock pmd660 (non-Oade)  and can confirm ticking (like a clock) on my right channel at a certain point of a show I taped in April.

I have no idea what was the cause.

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 09:12:17 PM »
yeah, it's a bit like a clock-tick but much faster.  I've emailed doug oade but no replies yet.  Will post if I hear more.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 10:53:07 PM »
Sounds to me like the cell phone intereference issue that lots of 660 folk are experiencing... I hope this isn't a serious issue with the unit, since I was pondering picking one up... hmmmm.

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 11:18:31 PM »
I'll report back here with more info. The unit's about to get a TON more field testing.  ;D

Got Acoustic Masada on Thursday (no way I'm crotching the UA-5 again, ticking or no ticking!) and that kicks off the montreal jazz fest for me. Bad Plus, Bell Orchestre, the Paul Simon Tribute concert, Calexico, Wilco, etc. 

Hope the issue doesn't proove to be constant.  I still have yet to hear back from Oade Bros. about it. I'll try to give them a call this week and see what I can learn.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 11:27:51 PM »
I'll report back here with more info. The unit's about to get a TON more field testing.  ;D

Got Acoustic Masada on Thursday (no way I'm crotching the UA-5 again, ticking or no ticking!) and that kicks off the montreal jazz fest for me. Bad Plus, Bell Orchestre, the Paul Simon Tribute concert, Calexico, Wilco, etc. 

Hope the issue doesn't proove to be constant.  I still have yet to hear back from Oade Bros. about it. I'll try to give them a call this week and see what I can learn.

You'll have to hit me up with some of those MTL jazzfest recordings... I've always been meaning to drive up there for a week during jazzfest..

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 11:32:39 PM »
sure thing. i'll post most to Dimeadozen. got Ken Vandermark's Free Music Ensemble show from a few nights ago up there now. Well worth a listen if you're into the more free-form stuff.  Awesome power for a trio!  That was the show that had the ticking probs.  I isolated the ticking frequency as best I could and ran a light noise reduction on those frequencies. Pretty happy with the results.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com