Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity merging two files  (Read 1531 times)

Offline paullySC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
Audacity merging two files
« on: July 07, 2006, 06:56:58 PM »
Hello,
I have 2 seperate file I need to merge into one. How easy is that to do with Audacity? I missed about 15 seconds of a song and I'd like to try and merge them as seamlessly as possible. What can I do to make it sound better once merged?

Also, If I have a show where 1 channel has a lower signal is there a way I can normalize it up to the same level as the other channerl?

Thanks.

paul
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 07:08:32 PM by paullySC »
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Audacity merging two files
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 08:23:24 PM »
Also, If I have a show where 1 channel has a lower signal is there a way I can normalize it up to the same level as the other channerl?

• Split the stereo track into separate tracks for the L and R channels.  Use the black triangle dropdown next to the filename and select Split Stereo Track.
  • Amplify each channel (L and R) independently so each has a peak level of 0.0 dB.  Select on the main menu:  Effects | Amplify.  (Alternately, note how much you need to raise the L track so its at the R track's levels, or vice versa.)
  • Merge the L and R tracks back together.  Use the black triangle dropdown next to the filename and select Make Stereo Track.  Note:  for some reason, this option is only available on the L channel's dropdown.
  • Export the file to WAV.  Select on the main menu File | Export as WAV.*

I have 2 seperate file I need to merge into one. How easy is that to do with Audacity? I missed about 15 seconds of a song and I'd like to try and merge them as seamlessly as possible. What can I do to make it sound better once merged?

The very, very short version:

• Import both files into the same Project.
  • Align the files.  It helps to zoom waaaay into the waveform to ensure the files are lined up properly.
  • Crossfade-in and -out accordingly.
  • Export as WAV.*

*Note:  this assumes you have your Preferences and Project attributes defined properly - namely bit-depth (known as sample format in Audacity's terms) and sample rate - for the audio files you're editing and exporting.  For example, if you're editing 16-bit files with 32-bit precision, you need to dither back down to 16-bit when you Export As WAV.  However, if you're editing 16-bit files with 16-bit precision, there's no need to dither when you Export As WAV.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline paullySC

• Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 07:49:58 PM »
Thanks for the great info. I tried merging the two files and am starting to wonder if I should bother trying to edit it more. It stopped in the middle of a verse and picked up again during the next verse. It's about 20 second missing. It seems like it would be hard to do anything with it since it was during singing. I could just make a notation that 20 seconds are missing from the first song. What do you all think?

paul
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 11:13:19 AM »
Just note that there is a cut, 20 seconds missing.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com