Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Speaker Recomendations  (Read 10265 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Speaker Recomendations
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2006, 09:52:04 AM »
anytime bro.

Offline morningdew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2006, 08:19:05 PM »
O.k.  good news.  I'd say -12 to 0 is what I like the Sony STR DA3000ES at when I'm the only one home.  This just seemed strange to me.  Because I assume if I go in the + range then I'm clipping and I've read you shouldn't send clipped audio to speakers because it isn't good for them.

I'm really enjoying the B & W's.  They seem to image very well and give a good sense of depth perception.   Sometimes I wonder if this stuff is just in my head but in a lot of the CDs I've been listening to I sense some instruments as being closer than others.

They seem a little thin in the bass but I have some crappy placement right now because I'm remodeling my basement.  The right speaker sets in front of an open alcove.  If stand behind that speaker the bass sounds greatl, so I need to get it in front of wall but it will have to wait until the basement is finished.

RebelRebel

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2006, 08:39:58 PM »
O.k.  good news.  I'd say -12 to 0 is what I like the Sony STR DA3000ES at when I'm the only one home.  This just seemed strange to me.  Because I assume if I go in the + range then I'm clipping and I've read you shouldn't send clipped audio to speakers because it isn't good for them.

I'm really enjoying the B & W's.  They seem to image very well and give a good sense of depth perception.   Sometimes I wonder if this stuff is just in my head but in a lot of the CDs I've been listening to I sense some instruments as being closer than others.

They seem a little thin in the bass but I have some crappy placement right now because I'm remodeling my basement.  The right speaker sets in front of an open alcove.  If stand behind that speaker the bass sounds greatl, so I need to get it in front of wall but it will have to wait until the basement is finished.

acoustic treatment will make your speakers sound 100% different(and maybe you will dislike them afterwards!). check out www.realtraps.com , http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html, and http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2006, 07:08:56 AM »
you can turn it up beyond 0db and into the + numbers.  its not like a recorders db meeter.
nothing wrong w/listening at +4 or +6db.
that is pretty damn loud too.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 06:56:46 PM »
you can turn it up beyond 0db and into the + numbers.  its not like a recorders db meeter.
nothing wrong w/listening at +4 or +6db.
that is pretty damn loud too.

O db is my preferred listening level the Unit seems to be doing exaclty what it's supossed to.  I'm not sure what they're doing for volume but I'm guessing at 0dB it's the least processed.  I use the +dB Range for recordings that are just too small otherwise but it begins to sound "strained" (slight edge) to my ears.  When I do go over I find that +6dB sounds the best.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 07:52:48 PM »
that was my same feel w/my 3000es.  0db for "reference" +4 or +6 for rockin' the house.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2006, 03:53:55 PM »
if anyone else is looking for some B&W speakers, and wants a great deal on them, pm me since a friend of mine works in the a/v industry and can get great deals on them, and he happens to be a taper and all around great guy as well, I can hook you up with him, I'm getting my new speakers very soon and am getting them through him as well

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2006, 01:08:17 AM »
Wow, you guys listen at pretty high levels. I run mty 3000es between -40 and -20 (depending on source), and in my room, -20 is LOUD. If I get up to -10, I am blown out of the room. If I turn in up to 0db, my brain pops :spin: That is really loud. I am thinking that my hearing is pretty sensitive - I usually wear earplugs in really loud environments (shows, airplanes, etc.) - really loud seems to hurt my ears....
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2006, 12:14:09 PM »
I'm not running the most efficient speakers nor any powered subwoofer.  So to get any type of visceral experience from the setup, I've got to crank it. 

Fortunately for me 480's->WOade is clean, open, and highendnastiness free enough to really do that for an extended period of time.   ;)
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2006, 12:59:41 PM »
I have no sub either but my speakers (klipsch KLF-10) are pretty efficient  (98db @ 1 watt/1 meter, 8 ohms) so that may be it.
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2006, 03:31:05 PM »
Wow, you guys listen at pretty high levels. I run mty 3000es between -40 and -20 (depending on source), and in my room, -20 is LOUD. If I get up to -10, I am blown out of the room. If I turn in up to 0db, my brain pops :spin: That is really loud. I am thinking that my hearing is pretty sensitive - I usually wear earplugs in really loud environments (shows, airplanes, etc.) - really loud seems to hurt my ears....

I was thinking the same thing Kyle. -10 is pretty freaking loud for me (klf20) I guess speakers really make a difference.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 04:44:12 PM »
shit yea.  my VR4s are 90db per 1w/1m
98db is really efficient, you can drive those w/anything.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2006, 12:37:41 AM »

I was thinking the same thing Kyle. -10 is pretty freaking loud for me (klf20) I guess speakers really make a difference.

gotta get me a pair of 20s. mmmmm......  dreamy......
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2006, 08:04:51 AM »
I have some older Heresy IIs and they're really efficient too.  Just wish they had more low end.   :-\
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com