Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are your favorite "reference" recordings??  (Read 13537 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
What are your favorite "reference" recordings??
« on: September 04, 2006, 11:04:37 AM »
Not looking for sentimental value or artistic integrity..just stuff  that really sounds great, from a production standpoint(any genre). now that I am about to get a decent playback system, want to keep my eyes open. Been listening on my B+Ws where I do my audio work..but the office chair sucks.  ::)
Mine are
Flying Burrito Brothers--Gilded palace of Sin

AKUS Live

Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth

George Jones/Merle Haggard- Taste of Yesterdays Wine

Johnny --American 1-V, Live at San Quentin,

Bonnie Prince Billy- I see a darkness

YHF--Wilco

Being there- Wilco

Heartbreaker--Ryan Adams

Whiskeytown--strangers almanac..

Neil Young- Harvest

Third Sister Lovers, Big Star

Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie

AIC Unplugged

Dwight Yoakam--dwightyoakamacoustic.net

Glass Bead Game - JMR-15 - John Marks Records

Test Record 1- Depth of Image - CD7900 Opus 3

Brahms/Mozart Clarinet Quitets, Mitchell Lurie and the Muir Quartet on Eco classics-

Brahms complete trios- Beaux Arts Trio. on Phillips cheap duo label.

Lauridsen- Lux Aeterna, LA Master Chorale. On RCM (what a choir is supposed to sound like)

Barber- Complete Songs - Secrets of the Old w/ Cheryl Studer, Thomas Hampson, John Browning and the Emerson Quartet (DG)

Arvo Part- Te Deum (ECM) another real favorite of mine- very well recorded and sublime music.

Daugherty- Metropolis Symphony (Argo)

Schubert-Lieder w/ Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and Gerald Moore (DG)

Shostakovich Symphony #1 and #7, Chicago/Bernstein (DG)

Messiaen- Concert a quatre/Les Offrandes oubliees, etc... Orchestre de l'Opera Bastille, Myung-whun Chung (DG)

Smetana- Ma Vlast Levine/Vienna (DG)

Schwantner- Percussion Concerto, Evelyn Glennie/National Symphony/Slatkin (RCA Red Seal) (Velocities has a couple bad edits, though).

Te Deum (ECM)

Rachel Podger - Bach Sonatas & Partitas [solo] on baroque violin, Channel Classics

Shaw conducting Poulenc Mass in G Major, Quatre Petite Prieres de St. Francois, Quatre Motets de Penitence, & Quatre Motets de Noel [his Faure and Dupre Requiems are lovely as well], Telarc

All Baltimore Consort stuff, Dorian Recordings

Chanticleer- Missa pro defunctis, Motets by Palestrina. Teldec

Old Vox recordings of The Fine Arts Quartet playing Haydn, particularly Op. 76

Aaron Rosand playing music of Pablo de Sarasate. Vox

William Primrose and Rudolph Firkusny playing Brahms Sonatas for viola and piano

Old recordings of Rudolph Serkin and George Szell - Brahms Piano Concertos

Richard Goode - Beethoven Piano Sonatas

Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances etc RR-96, Minnesota Orch, Oue, a Keith Johnson recording that will restore one's faith in what 44/16 can do.
http://classicalcdreview.com/srsd.htm

Bach, Oster Oratorium, Collegium Vocale Philippe Herreweghe, HM, HMC901513, this is so well recorded and such a superb performance, astonishing.
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=71906

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000066C6K/104-6513726-8245500?v=glance

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 01:07:47 PM by Teddy »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: What are your favorite "reference" recordings??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 12:05:21 PM »
my personal favorties are:

Bob Dylanl , time out of mind
Steve Winwood, About time.

plus a ton of great live stuff.
Always been very happy w/this as a reference disc:  http://www.archive.org/details/cht2005-05-26

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 12:41:33 PM »
Here is what I use.  I tend to use these recordings for a couple of reasons: first, they represent all different forms of music that i listen to, and second, they represent totally different recording styles all of which i want my system to handle.  I've pasted Amazon links in so people can see reviews and whatnot.

In order:

1. Turandot - The Dame Joan version.  The Ola, Pang! Ola, Pong! > Ho una casa... is just incredible.  I will say that I'm not sure this is the best representation of Nessun Dorma, but it is still very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Puccini-Turandot-Sutherland-Pavarotti-Ghiaurov/dp/B0000041Q3/sr=8-1/qid=1157387338/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2478732-4980113?ie=UTF8&s=music

2.  Will Oldham - Viva Last Blues.  This is a wonderful representation of what good indie rock recording can be.  It is dark, hollow at times, but beautiful at the same time.  I like the slide work on New Partner as well as the indie rock male voice Oldham gives off.

http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Last-Blues-Palace-Music/dp/B0000019RK/ref=sr_11_1/102-2478732-4980113?ie=UTF8

3. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.  I love the electronic influence on this, the effects test the highs and lows of any good speaker system.  I don't know if they ever fixed the dvd version of this recording, but the cd works just fine for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoshimi-Battles-Robots-Flaming-Lips/dp/B000068PQ0/sr=1-1/qid=1157387804/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2478732-4980113?ie=UTF8&s=music

4. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours.  I highly suggest listening to this album through and through, but especially to the first minute or so of I Don't Want To Know.  PS- don't get the double disc version of this album unless you are a huge fan- it's a waste of cash.

http://www.amazon.com/Rumours-Fleetwood-Mac/dp/B000002KGT/sr=1-1/qid=1157387955/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2478732-4980113?ie=UTF8&s=music

I know I have more but these are the first ones that come to mind.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

RebelRebel

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 01:07:22 PM »

Got that one...it is a great album.

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 01:10:57 PM »

2.  Will Oldham - Viva Last Blues.  This is a wonderful representation of what good indie rock recording can be.  It is dark, hollow at times, but beautiful at the same time.  I like the slide work on New Partner as well as the indie rock male voice Oldham gives off.

http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Last-Blues-Palace-Music/dp/B0000019RK/ref=sr_11_1/102-2478732-4980113?ie=UTF8

Interesting, Johnny. Ill check that one out...I am a great fan of Will , but to be honest a lot of his recordings just suck from a production standpoint..(bonnie prince billy sings palace music is a bad offender)..but I will gladly check this one out. Ive never heard it.

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 01:25:04 PM »
You may think I'm crazy......but I like Jerry and the Boys on Old And In The Way.......I know every note on that album........I love the look on peoples face when Jerry starts yodeling........and Vassar still brings a chill to my spine and a tear to my eye...........There are more notes on this album than knees on an army of centipedes.....
The dynamic range of the music is incredible.......you can really hear the placement of the musicians.........I  know a studio album would be a more controlled specimen , but I've noticed that with this album the better the payback system the better this album sounds .......I know it sounds stupid.....Well what did you expect....... but the difference is amazing.........
I love listening to this on vinyl.....through my AKG Audiosphere 999 into my Senn. 650's..........WOW it's incredible....
I'ts as if I only heard 1/2 the music for almost 30 years......now I get to hear ALL OF IT...

Peace,
jk

So much music......so little time........
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

RebelRebel

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 01:41:09 PM »
Kavi Alexander of waterlily were talking the other day, and he mentioned that album as one of his favorites.

You may think I'm crazy......but I like Jerry and the Boys on Old And In The Way.......I know every note on that album........I love the look on peoples face when Jerry starts yodeling........and Vassar still brings a chill to my spine and a tear to my eye...........There are more notes on this album than knees on an army of centipedes.....
The dynamic range of the music is incredible.......you can really hear the placement of the musicians.........I  know a studio album would be a more controlled specimen , but I've noticed that with this album the better the payback system the better this album sounds .......I know it sounds stupid.....Well what did you expect....... but the difference is amazing.........
I love listening to this on vinyl.....through my AKG Audiosphere 999 into my Senn. 650's..........WOW it's incredible....
I'ts as if I only heard 1/2 the music for almost 30 years......now I get to hear ALL OF IT...

Peace,
jk

So much music......so little time........

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 08:34:33 AM »
Dave Matthews - Some Devil
Dave Brubeck - Time out
Taxi Driver - Original Soundtrack (180gram pressing)

Hmm, i'm blanking out at the moment...i'll think of more.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 09:12:56 AM »

Neil Young- Harvest

glad to see this one make your list teddy. That was the record that immediately sprang to mind when I was reading the recent article in which Bob Dylan was criticizing modern recordings. I really wish more records would sound like this. It seems like everything now has to be super polished and over processed to the point that the music loses most of it's soul.

I love the raw almost live feeling of the whole record, but in particular the songs "Alabama" and "Words (between the Lines of Ages)." IMO that is how a rock record should sound. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 01:37:57 PM by ShawnSmith »

RebelRebel

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 03:13:06 PM »
Yep, it has a perfect blend of country feel, and rock...my favorite kind of music.

Also forgot to mention "closing time" by tom waits.

Neil Young- Harvest

glad to see this one make your list teddy. That was the record that immediately sprang to mind when I was reading the recent article in which Bob Dylan was criticizing modern recordings. I really wish more records would sound like this. It seems like everything now has to be super polished and over processed to the point that the music loses most of it's soul.

I love the raw almost live feeling of the whole record, but in particular the songs "Alabama" and "Words (between the Lines of Ages)." IMO that is how a rock record should sound. 

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 05:24:56 PM »
Old and In the Way is great

I need to find the email exchange I had with Bear in college where he described the recording technique. I believe he just used 4 omni's at the corners of the stage
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 06:04:29 PM »

I need to find the email exchange I had with Bear in college where he described the recording technique. I believe he just used 4 omni's at the corners of the stage

I would love to read that.

From the CD Insert (Rykodisc Label):

"Eight microphones were used in recording - four in each channel, mixed live to a stereo Nagra tape recorder Tape speed of 15 IPS with 'Nagra Master' equalization insured low noise on transfer to disc. Persons interested in this EQ should read 'Master Tape Equalization Revisited' by John G. McKnight & Peter F. Hille, Audio Engineering Society preprint # 865 (A-G)."
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

RebelRebel

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 06:36:23 PM »
I guess that is why Kavi likes it so much..he loves tape.

I would love to read that.

From the CD Insert (Rykodisc Label):

"Eight microphones were used in recording - four in each channel, mixed live to a stereo Nagra tape recorder Tape speed of 15 IPS with 'Nagra Master' equalization insured low noise on transfer to disc. Persons interested in this EQ should read 'Master Tape Equalization Revisited' by John G. McKnight & Peter F. Hille, Audio Engineering Society preprint # 865 (A-G)."

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 07:15:09 PM »
Some discs I brought when going to the audio store a while ago:

Headhunters  (not sure how audiophile this is, but it is a good clue as to whether the speakers will be ok for bumpin da hizzy)

GD 5/8/77  (very familiar with this)

Vivaldi: Concerti for strings (dorian?) Killer string sound

Delos spring sampler/engineers choice disc (lots of various clips from a top-notch classical recording company. John Eargle at the helm for both of these discs, I believe.)

My Phish 2/20/03 Allstate FOB. 4022>V3. Kinda raw but I was in the pocket and have listened to this one a lot. Gives a good feel of how the speakers/system can convey the feel of a big arena rock show.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RebelRebel

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 07:18:56 PM »

Delos spring sampler/engineers choice disc (lots of various clips from a top-notch classical recording company. John Eargle at the helm for both of these discs, I believe.)

Yep, Eargle was the engineer at delos(still is I think)..and did all those recordings. in the liner notes of mine he lists mic technique, selection, etc.. also..his "king of the instruments" is great

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 07:25:36 PM »

Yep, Eargle was the engineer at delos(still is I think)..and did all those recordings. in the liner notes of mine he lists mic technique, selection, etc.. also..his "king of the instruments" is great

I think I read that he stepped down this year. Definitely neat to read the liner notes in Engineer's Choice.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 01:59:34 AM »
this just sounds like everyones favorite albums to listen to.  how about some more stuff that actually is great for testing speakers with:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Aphex Twin - Druqks (this album destroys most stereos, hits every frequency range with force)
Bjork - Post (this album is VERY demanding in terms of playback, her voice is fantastic for testing frequency transitions)

the jazz albums are ones that any music fan will most likely have in their collection, but they're fantastically natural sounding albums that will really show you how good a pair of speakers sound.  you really do need something with female lead vocals to test how smooth the mid to high transition is in a playback system.  these are by no means my favorite albums to sit and listen to, they're just albums that i bust out anytime i'm testing out stereo gear.  i'd love to be able to recommend a great classical recording, but i don't know of any personally.  teddy covered those already anyway.  so yes, i'm trying to drive the discussion more towards actual referancing discs instead of discs you're most familiar.  that is all. :P
Really not very evil at all now...

RebelRebel

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 06:50:14 AM »
this just sounds like everyones favorite albums to listen to.  how about some more stuff that actually is great for testing speakers with:

Well it is supposed to be the ones that are great sonically, from a production standpoint. not "favorite albums". the ones I listed cover both categories.. I have a very picky ear with classical music.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 07:47:01 AM »
I like to use the following:

Adam's Castle - One Year
Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
Brubeck - Time Out
Charles Lloyd - Jumping the Creek
Led Zeppelin I
Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
Pink Floyd - Wall
Tool - Aenima
Cash - any of the American Albums (these sound like he's sitting right next to me!   :'()
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 07:48:52 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 07:54:06 AM »
well you're the man, man.  i just can't classify a betty-board dead tape as a referance disc though, no matter how many times you've listened to it.  fwiw, Sinead O'Connor has a really good voice for referancing as well, but who will admit to owning those albums.  anyone into car audio probably also has a Bass Mechanix cd for testing subs with, those might be handy for actually testing low end sound in audiophile gear (but i'd be afraid of causing damage).

what i've found out though is most of my absolute favorite recordings have a really natural sound as opposed to a very produced album (like Nirvana's Nevermind album).  i guess the average listener probably preffers the overproduced type albums with that very radio single sound of blahness, but i really rather listen to the stuff with more character to it.  for example, while Neil Young's Harvest is a fantastically produced and mastered album i much rather listen to Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere or Zuma because they have a really great garage band feel to them (thanks to the Crazy Horse garage band i'm assuming).  i'm probably going to get called a crackhead for this as well, but i think that the original releases of albums tend to sound better than the remastered versions in most cases.  it's especially true with older heavy metal albums, like the megadeth catalogue for example.  dave mustaine personally remastered all of their back catalog and it sounds like garbage to my ears, the same with King Diamond.  the remastering would be more effective if they master tapes were reprocessed with modern equiptment but mixed to sound identical to the original release, but with more detail via the higher quality transfer.  i guess there are artists out there who still put out releases with a decent sound to them, but i've pretty much stopped buying new albums because i've been unsatisfied with the SQ on the discs.  as pathetic as it is there's only 1 hip hop label left that actually puts out great sounding albums, everyone else has gone way of degradation via compression (as has been bitched about endlessly previously around here).  the music industry sucks goat cock...
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 11:17:17 AM »

Aimee Mann's "Lost in Space" SACD (from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab) is a fantastic recording IMO.

As far as regular CDs, I really like both of pianist Christopher Riley's Radiohead discs.  They have great dynamics (no compression), and a nice quiet background.

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 12:59:11 PM »
I really like the SACDs for reference, and I usually prefer the Joe McQueen 'Ten At 86' disc, and Steely Dan 'Gaucho'. Excellent sonics on both!

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 02:30:26 PM »

Brubeck - Time Out

Yes! I love using that disc to listen for imaging
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 07:44:36 PM »
1. Jazz At the Pawn Shop (I don't have the disc near me; it's Sweedish. I wish this would come out on SACD)
2.  Roger Waters - Amused to Death
3.  Kind of Blue (SACD)
4.  Frank Zappa - too many to list, a lot of the 1970's stuff.
5.  Metallica, Master of Puppets (gold DSD Remaster)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 09:12:22 PM »

Under the sub-category: Vinyl

may I suggest Ry Cooder's "Bop Till You Drop"

:)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2006, 05:44:53 PM »
teddy, did you ever take a listen to viva last blues?

RebelRebel

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2006, 07:09:39 PM »
teddy, did you ever take a listen to viva last blues?

I ordered it, but havent heard it yet.

Ive been listening to South San Gabriel's Carlton Chronicles and REM early stuff all week.

Should have the album tuesday.

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2006, 08:55:31 AM »
801 Live - One of the best, most dynamic live recordings I've ever heard.

AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2006, 04:34:26 PM »
teddy, i just ordered one of the Goode Bethoven Sonatas.  I'm really curious to give this a listen both in my car and at home.  Now I'm of this new dilemna.  I'm getting ready to trade my car this winter and i will have an SUV (probably the Toyota or Ford hybrid) in the future (I do a lot of camping and traveling).  So here's the question- what do I pursue for a sound system?  Right now I'm on a bose car system and it's just ok. I can take this to another thread :P

RebelRebel

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2006, 05:15:15 PM »
teddy, i just ordered one of the Goode Bethoven Sonatas.  I'm really curious to give this a listen both in my car and at home.  Now I'm of this new dilemna.  I'm getting ready to trade my car this winter and i will have an SUV (probably the Toyota or Ford hybrid) in the future (I do a lot of camping and traveling).  So here's the question- what do I pursue for a sound system?  Right now I'm on a bose car system and it's just ok. I can take this to another thread :P

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/audi/   

I am getting a new car too, when I go stateside. Probably going to get a B+O system. Honestly the best ive ever heard. Most car stereo systems just dont do classical music justice(too much bass, not enough highs or mids), but those sound phenomenal.

Jonny, check out the classical recordings I listed. I got most of those suggestions from the guy that I have been learning from..he has real "golden ears"

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 12:20:28 PM »
Take a look at Stan Linkwitz's list of well engineerd recordings, recommended for testing playback systems.  Includes many classical suggestions.  http://www.linkwitzlab.com/music.htm

Here's a quick personal list (a few are also on the list above).  All are redbook CD versions.  These are all excellently engineered, but also great music IMO:

Mintzer, Hidalgo, Gonzalez, Chesky, Brecker - The Body Acoustic (Chesky) - Outstanding depth and ambience.  Ambient depth layers miles deep with excellent resolution to the decay of each note.  Musically similar to Miles's 'Bitch's Brew' but all acoustic - Sax, Bass clarinet, trumpet, Congas, Piano, Bass, Drums. 

The Coryells (Lary Coryell & his two sons) - The Coryells (Chesky) - Acoustic guitar trio + bass (& drums?), Jazz & blues.  Great male vocal sound & acoustic space resolution. Music notes:  Skip the three song opening piece.. Interesting interplay of father & sons all on acoustic guitars, Murali's vocals are highly soulful. One of my favoite covers of 'Goodby Porkpie Hat' ever (with vocals).

Candido & Graciela - Inolvidable (Chesky) - Cuban percussion with lower range female vocals.

Medeski, Martin & Wood - Tonic (Blue Note) - the acoustic one, not the electric one, which is no where near as transparent or ambient.

Wynton Marsalis - Mr. Jelly Lord, Standard Time Series (Sony Label I believe) Also a few others from Wynton's Standard Time series such as the Thelonious Monk tribute, but not all.  Excellent dynamics and imaging of a larger acoustic jazz ensable recording.

Edgar Meyer, Bela Fleck, Mike Marshall, Uncommon Ritual (?) Bass, banjo, mandolin acoustic string trio.

Phillips, Grier & Flinner - Looking Back (Compass) - Bass, guitar, mandolin acoustic string trio.

The ARC choir (Mapleshade) - A capella gospel from the Addicts Rehabilitation Center Choir in Harlem.

Redwine Trio - Baby Won't You Please Come Home (Mapleshade) - Clarinet, guitar, bass, Django style swing

On my to check out list:

Mickey Hart - Planet Drum (Rykodisk?) - Way low bass drums.

Brian Bromberg, Wood (?) - acoustic bass detail and texture.

Some of Teddy's classical suggestions..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/audi/   

I am getting a new car too, when I go stateside. Probably going to get a B+O system. Honestly the best ive ever heard. Most car stereo systems just dont do classical music justice(too much bass, not enough highs or mids), but those sound phenomenal...

Interesting, looks like they use the ultra-wide dispersion acoustic lens developed by Dave Moulton and Manny LaCarrubba http://www.sawonline.com/overview.shtml

I'd like to hear that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2006, 04:27:19 PM »
One of my favs - Jesus Lizard GOAT.. that bass guitar/drum intro on Then Comes Dudley is tight! TIGHT!!! :)

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2006, 04:46:23 PM »
teddy... I am making a feeble attempt to dig into classical music. So I started looking at some of the stuff you posted here just to see if anything caught my eye. I stumbled across this review of Arvo Part- Te Deum (ECM) and it made me laugh.

f you've not previously listened to Part's music, this is a reasonable place to start. I prefer Tabula Rasa, however, and suggest that as a better alternative.

Unfortunately, the recording quality of the title work is atrocious. At several points, the vocals swell to aching levels...and just then, the sound is reduced to ear tearing distortion. No, folks, that isn't the power of an omnipotent, imaginary friend reaching through your stereo; that's really bad level setting.

Here's hoping ECM sees fit to make a proper recording of this one.

It just seemed ironic that I was checking the record out because soomeone recommended it based on recording quality and I find a review where soemone is trashing the recording quality. I guess one man's reference recording is another man's "atrocious" recording.

RebelRebel

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2006, 04:51:45 PM »
 :D That guy is a moron. :D Check it out for yourself and see. (If he heard a "squashed" recording, with no dynamics, hed probably be pleased). He is probably listening on his panasonic walmart special.

Teddy

teddy... I am making a feeble attempt to dig into classical music. So I started looking at some of the stuff you posted here just to see if anything caught my eye. I stumbled across this review of Arvo Part- Te Deum (ECM) and it made me laugh.

f you've not previously listened to Part's music, this is a reasonable place to start. I prefer Tabula Rasa, however, and suggest that as a better alternative.

Unfortunately, the recording quality of the title work is atrocious. At several points, the vocals swell to aching levels...and just then, the sound is reduced to ear tearing distortion. No, folks, that isn't the power of an omnipotent, imaginary friend reaching through your stereo; that's really bad level setting.

Here's hoping ECM sees fit to make a proper recording of this one.

It just seemed ironic that I was checking the record out because soomeone recommended it based on recording quality and I find a review where soemone is trashing the recording quality. I guess one man's reference recording is another man's "atrocious" recording.

Offline dancesonrocks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 11:22:04 PM »
Not looking for sentimental value or artistic integrity..just stuff  that really sounds great, from a production standpoint(any genre). now that I am about to get a decent playback system, want to keep my eyes open. Been listening on my B+Ws where I do my audio work..but the office chair sucks.  ::)

Teddy,
a question and some perhaps unusual recommendation.

what loudspeakers are you planning to audition, and what are they replacing?

first off, if you've already bought your new speakers, just sit back and enjoy the music. the time for listening
to particular aspects of the music has come and gone, unless you're trying out for consideration as an
audiophile.  and if so, skip the rest of this.

secondly, think about the different types of music you listen to and consider why you listen to them, and
esp. consider how the (different styles of) music make you feel - hint, they will likely be different.

for example, some music will make you want to get up and dance, some will be melancholy, some will
be happy, a lot may be just achingly beautiful, some will make you 'feel like making love', etc...

okay, now take your favorite recordings of these different styles/feelings with you when you go to
audition, and listen with your heart, listen for those qualities that makes a piece of music or an artist your favorite.

knowing your price range, I could offer some speakers to check out.

I know this sounds weird, but just try it.  you listen to a lot of different musical styles, and you
might really appreciate speakers that convey the life within the music, not just the frequencies of the notes.

good luck,
clay

ps, if you have the opportunity to listen to Devore Fidelity speakers, check them out. John is a drummer
who builds speakers in Brooklyn.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2006, 11:27:54 PM »
my personal favorties are:

Steve Winwood, About time.

plus a ton of great live stuff.
Always been very happy w/this as a reference disc:  http://www.archive.org/details/cht2005-05-26

streaming that cht now, sounds great nick ;D

hmmm, those pelusos are sweet mics, maybe thats the other pair of mics i'll buy ??? decisions, decisions
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2006, 02:32:37 AM »
Genesis - Wind and Wuthering

Brubeck - Buried Treasures

Roxy Music - Avalon

Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichta Falls

Offline Tim

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 11:00:40 AM »
Picked up Richard Goode doing Beethoven's Op 31 Piano Sonatas last night on recommendation from this thread. Very nice :)
I printed a list of albums from this thread and threw it in my briefcase so I'll have it handy when I stop off at the record store.

RebelRebel

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 11:32:16 AM »
Picked up Richard Goode doing Beethoven's Op 31 Piano Sonatas last night on recommendation from this thread. Very nice :)
I printed a list of albums from this thread and threw it in my briefcase so I'll have it handy when I stop off at the record store.

glad you enjoy it, Tim. Im sure youll love the others too!

Offline dancesonrocks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2006, 12:49:59 PM »
Not looking for sentimental value or artistic integrity..just stuff  that really sounds great, from a production standpoint(any genre).

in no particular order

River Road - Eric Bibb (Opus 3)
Misterio - Strunz & Farah
Meeting by the River - Bhatt / Ry Cooder
Talking Timbuktu - Ali Farka Toure / Ry Cooder
Kongo Magni - Boubacar Traore
Mali Blue - Lobi Traore
Fairytales - Radka Toneff
Fair Play - Puck Fair
Dafos - Mickey Hart, et al
Enchanted Iskes - Carol Thompson (harp)
Clarinet Quintets - Mozart - either Amon Ra or Harmonia Mundi recordings
Symphonic Dances - Rachmaninoff - Analogue Productions
Music for 2 Pianos - Mozart - Philips
Nocturnes - Chopin - Rubinsten or Claudio Arrau recordings  (ESSENTIAL - must have)
Tiger Lily - Natalie Merchant
Harvest - Neil Young
The Trinity Sessions - Cowboy Junkies
Amplified Heart - Everything But the Girl
Moon Safari - Air
Blue Lines - Massive Attack
Who can you Trust? - Morcheeba
Urban Hymns - the Verve
Hoodoo Man Blues - Junior Wells  (ESSENTIAL, a must have)
Soular Energy - Ray Brown Trio (ESSENTIAL, a must have)
Summer Wind:  live at the LOA - Ray Brown Trio
Maxinquaye - Tricky
Murmur - R.E.M. - MFSL master recording
Roots Tonic Meets Bill Laswell
Dimanche A Bamako - Amadou & Mariam
Kongotronics No. 1 - Kongotronics
Selwa - Choying Drolma/Steve Tibetts
Folk Singer - Muddy Waters (MFSL)

cheers,
Clay

ps, of course, more than a few of Kavi's recordings could be
added to this list.

Offline Tim

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2006, 12:58:51 PM »
The Trinity Sessions - Cowboy Junkies

recorded with a Soundfield ST 250 straight to DAT :)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2006, 04:56:23 PM »
One of my favs - Jesus Lizard GOAT.. that bass guitar/drum intro on Then Comes Dudley is tight! TIGHT!!! :)

love it
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2006, 07:07:47 PM »
William Primrose and Rudolph Firkusny playing Brahms Sonatas for viola and piano

picked up Op.120 Nos1&2 this evening. thanks for the recommendation

RebelRebel

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2006, 07:29:41 PM »

picked up Op.120 Nos1&2 this evening. thanks for the recommendation

Glad you are enjoying my classical suggestions, Tim!.I cant wait to get the VR-4S, and custom amps that I am buying from Nick Georges up...Classical Music on a good system.. :o

Offline Tim

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2006, 10:04:02 PM »
Moke got me into classical a couple of years back - there's just SO much it's hard to know where to start. This list has been great

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2006, 08:56:35 AM »
Moke got me into classical a couple of years back - there's just SO much it's hard to know where to start. This list has been great

I've felt the same way, It's like the feeling I get sometimes walking into a good record store or library, such a volume of great material (and even more not so great titles) the shear quantity can be overwhelming.  I feel like I could spend my whole life in there.  But where to start?

It's good to have a guide.

RebelRebel

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2006, 11:27:55 AM »
ive got plenty more suggestions when you max out those. :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.142 seconds with 73 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com