Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iMac > M-Audio Firwire Audiophile > Grace M901/M902 > Senheisser Cans ???  (Read 3947 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
iMac > firewire > M-Audio Firwire Audiophile > S/PDIF > Grace m901/m902?

Does this work?  I'm a playback & 24 bit newbie looking to move to a 24 bit headphone playback setup.  The wife isn't really keen on me getting any speakers, thus my reason for looking at the headphone setup.  I've got a 2004 iMac, and I think the external M-Audio Firewire Audiophile is the way to go for 24 bit playback from what I've read.  I I like what I've read about the m901/m902, especially since I think I could use it as a pre/DAC to drive some nice speakers.  As for headphones, I've read good things about the Sennheiser's and they appear to be reasonably priced. 

I know the M-Audio box has a headphone jack (don't know how good), so I could probably use this for a while and save up $$ for the Grace box.  I figure for now I can run my Creative iTrigue speakers out of the m901/m902 until I can convince the wife I need some real speakers.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this?  Thanks.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
sounds like a sweet setup!

Just for the heck of it, might also want to check out the stuff over on www.headphone.com also, they have some neat DAC/headphone amps there.

edit: was just thinking, some of their stuff has a USB input, you might be able to do without the M-audio firewire audiophile in the chain then. The grace 902 also has USB input but can only take 16 bit through there.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 05:05:54 PM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
edit: was just thinking, some of their stuff has a USB input, you might be able to do without the M-audio firewire audiophile in the chain then. The grace 902 also has USB input but can only take 16 bit through there.

I was tryinging to figure out how to do without the M-Audio box in the chain, but I figure it gives me the 24 bit and headphone capabilities until I can find a Grace box.  I'm assuming that since the data is being sent via firewire to the M-Audio box and then digitally to the Grace box there theoretically shouldn't be any issues with noise or signal detioration, right?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo

I was tryinging to figure out how to do without the M-Audio box in the chain, but I figure it gives me the 24 bit and headphone capabilities until I can find a Grace box.  I'm assuming that since the data is being sent via firewire to the M-Audio box and then digitally to the Grace box there theoretically shouldn't be any issues with noise or signal detioration, right?

Yep, I would think it should be a pure digital signal (unless the M-audio downsamples its digital out somehow)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
Yep, I would think it should be a pure digital signal (unless the M-audio downsamples its digital out somehow)

I'm assuming that you're referring to the digital signal being bit perfect?  If so, I'm pretty sure I read that the box is bit perfect, so it shouldn't be an issue, correct?

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
sounds like you are set then.  ;D  Those grace boxes are pretty slick!!

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Ditch the Senn's and buy the standard.  Sony MDR-7506's   ;D

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
Could I make a 1/4" > female mini cable to plug in the the Creative iTrigue cable that is supposed to plug into the computer?  I think this would work, but not sure.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Ditch the Senn's and buy the standard.  Sony MDR-7506's   ;D

oh, snap   :D

thegreatgumbino ,

Which Sennheiser's were you looking into anyway? 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
I was looking at the 580's & 595's.  Right now I'm probably going to fore go the Grace box and run headphone out of the M-Audio box.  I'm hoping this is at least decent quality.  I've got a handle on a great priced 901, just don't have the funds unfortunately.

There are some b-stock 595's on Ebay right now for about $150, which seems like a pretty good deal.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: iMac > M-Audio Firwire Audiophile > Grace M901/M902 > Senheisser Cans ???
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »
I was looking at the 580's & 595's.  Right now I'm probably going to fore go the Grace box and run headphone out of the M-Audio box.  I'm hoping this is at least decent quality.  I've got a handle on a great priced 901, just don't have the funds unfortunately.

There are some b-stock 595's on Ebay right now for about $150, which seems like a pretty good deal.

I know the 595s are more forward sounding than the 580's.  Personally, I own the 580's and they are a lovely headphone.  Very speaker-like representation in terms of soundstage and imaging.  The 580's can be had for cheap if you look online...check out the headphone for sales forum on head-fi (www.head-fi.org/forums), you might be able to scoop up a deal on either model.  I'm sure it'll sound good with your rig.  I use a Music Hall cd-25 (with upgraded op amps>OPA627)>millet tube hybrid amp and the sound is great.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com