Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Speaker recommendations $4-5k?  (Read 10094 times)

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
Speaker recommendations $4-5k?
« on: October 20, 2006, 06:45:27 PM »
We are looking at getting some new stereo fronts. Right now, it is about 98% audio, and 2% 5.1 movies. We are looking at:

B&W 803S, 804
VS VR4 jr
We are old deadheads, and MAINLY listen to GD and other live recordings (over 21 years of masters!), jazz, and classic rock.
The speakers are going in a "pop out" in our living room where the TV, compnents, etc. are. It is about 23" deep, and I have about 8-12" around all sides to place the speakers.

Any other suggestions in this price range?
What type (brand) and configuration speaker wire would you recommend? What is best connection type: spade, banana or bare wire?
Lastly, biwire or biamp? We have a 7 channel amp, and I could use two of the channels to biamp, and still have 5.1.

Thanks for the input to you allĀ  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 06:50:24 PM by Since85 »

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Speaker recommendations $4-5k?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 07:36:15 PM »
If you're going to spend $5K on a set of speakers, you are going to need more space than that.  Speakers are not designed to work in close quarters like what you describe.  What kind of 7.1 amp do you have?  Have you considered buying a 2 channel amp since the system is mainly for music?  I would recommend a quality 2 channel amp (at least $2000) for a set of speakers of that calibur.  That and more space.  HT amps won't be able to deliver the fidelity that truly high end speakers are capable of delivering.

As for suggestions of speakers, I can't say Living Voice loud enough.  The Living Voice Auditorium mk. II's are $4295 msrp.  The Avatar mk. II's are $5995.  Both are 94 db efficient.  They'll need a few feet of space to work at their magic, but you'll find that to be true of other speakers in this price range as well.  We're aggressive with our pricing.  PM me if you'd like to know more about them.

Chris

edit for link:
http://eugenehifi.com/LivingVoice/htm/Speakers_from_Living_Voice.htm
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 07:42:53 PM by cshepherd »

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 07:44:19 PM »
^^ I don't know of the living voice first hand (great reviews though) but I've seen lots of good advice come from chris!  I can't agree more that with your small enclosure space no $4-5k speaker is not going to shine to it's potential.  with your limited 5.1 use I would also invest in a top of the line 2 channel system and use virtual surround (it's come a long way!).  What do you run now?  amp?  speakers?  to me I dont think the speakers are what I would spend my money on right now...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 07:54:07 PM »
I had the fortune to demo a pair of The Living Voice OBX-R's and they were incredible...I walked out of the room flying high and stating those are the speakers to own when I can afford them.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Invisible

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 08:35:06 PM »
Have you looked into Focal, Sonus Faber, Legacy or Linn? These are a few speaker lines that I am very familiar with and can recommend.

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 08:56:28 PM »
I appreciate all of the input thus far!

We have an Arcam AV-7 amp, so it is easy to biamp the speakers with just a couple of RCA cables....

I got a friends B&W 804's in the spot, and the low end was as round and tight as in is house.

Any other suggestions? What about cabling?

thanks!!   :D

Offline Invisible

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 09:01:11 PM »
What is your budget on speaker cables?

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 10:20:57 PM »
Might not deliver the sound your looking for but it's in your price range & on your avatar.  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130036483742&rd=1&rd=1
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 11:32:10 PM »
Some other brands to keep in mind:

JM lab (same as focal??)
Revel
PMC
Joseph Audio
Harbeth
Dynaudio
Monitor Audio
Energy
Paradigm
Audio Physic
Martin Logan (though dipolar planar speakers will probably not work well with room boundaries that close)

Happy shopping!!
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 02:16:34 PM »
Definitive Technology.
www.definitivetechnology.com

I've got 7004's and love em to death.. you could do 7002's on that budget, and still have plenty of $ for center and surrounds... and wiring.. depending on what all you decide to go with that is! :)

good luck! new toys rule!

Offline Invisible

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 04:57:55 PM »

Offline Invisible

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 05:01:56 PM »
Definitive Technology.

I've got 7004's and love em to death.. you could do 7002's on that budget, and still have plenty of $ for center and surrounds... and wiring.. depending on what all you decide to go with that is! :)

Not sure these would be the best choice due to his room contraints. Though DefTech makes some great struff, bi-polar speakers would not work too well in a cut-out in the wall like he seems to be describing

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 06:00:26 PM »
Definitive Technology.

DefTechs do sound amazing, but with a vastly different kind of sound from the B&Ws.  I was comparing some B&Ws and DTs at a local store (albeit, some of their less-pricey models).  DefTech is much more boomy on the low-end.  B&Ws seem to have more punch in the mid-range.  It all depends on what you're looking for.  I second the mention of Monitor Audio... another good British speaker line, mayb e a sound a lot like the B&W.
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

RebelRebel

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 06:24:40 PM »
I love my B+W Nautilus 802s...though I use them for mixing/mastering and not for playback..

cshepherd

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 11:19:34 PM »
Have you considered placing the speakers outside of the cubby hole...keeping only the TV and stereo components tucked away?:

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com