Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Proximity effect??  (Read 1404 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Proximity effect??
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:18:58 PM »
I have been having a great time doing Blumlein recordings with the AKG 426 mic Teddy helped me get a few months back, but I ran into a problem last Friday that I hope someone here can help me puzzle out (and avoid!)  I  have been positioning the mic pretty close to various chamber groups (trios, string quartet, piano, vocal) with excellent results, but Friday I seem to have gotten a very off sound from the cello on the right channel.  I have taped groups from about the same position before, mic in the center about two feet ahead of the group with the caps at 45 degrees right and left of center, about 6 up and angled down at them.  I may have been a tad closer Friday than previously, but not by much.  The cello sound has an odd and unpleasant bass rumble, not present in parts where it is silent, but made up of what sounds like a combination of performer noises (hitting the wood and strings and getting sounds that were not obvious live or on my backup tape made with omnis and a Jecklin disk about a foot over and behind the AKG), extra heavy bass, etc.  Am  getting some sort of proximity effect here, and is there any way to avoid it other than backing off (hard to do given the stage arrangements)?  I tryed a bit of EQing, but that doesn't seem to help, though it might just be that I don't know how to do it right.

Jeff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com