Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Playback Complete  (Read 17589 times)

Offline tfs8271

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
Re: Playback Complete
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 01:31:05 PM »
What's the difference between the 2900 and the 2910?
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 03:28:18 PM »
What's the difference between the 2900 and the 2910?

The 2910 is a step back in the audio, but a step forward in the video department.  The 2910 adds Faroudja based upconversion (yields macroblocking) via the HDMI connection.  The build quality of the 2900 is also better.

If you are looking for a good universal player for audio only I'd say the 2900 is your best bet.  If you are looking for quality video AND audio you must jump to the 3910.  I'd even say get the new 3930 due to the better macroblocking free video upconversion chip.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2007, 04:08:49 PM »
Nice Nick! We are making the finally making the plunge into home ownership within the next month and I'm having sort of the same dilemma. (where to put the KLF-20's) The new living room will be smaller, but now you've got my wheels spinning on turning the master bedroom into the theater/listening room. It's the entire upper level of a cape cod style house. (about twice the width of your room)  Honey, can we make one of the smaller rooms be our bedroom? Yeah sure right. ::)

+T on the KLF-20s - I run the 10's and wish I had them. One of these days...

When I get them the 10's will be my surrounds - strictly for the DSOTM 24bit Quad mix of course :spin:
[/hijack] sorry about that.....
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 09:49:18 AM »
Alright, finally got everything setup and finalized (will post some pics later tonight if anyone is interested).  Same setup as before audio wise, with the addition of an Audio Magic Stealth Mini Power Conditioner...and the more I listen the more amazed I am at how much depth that the VR-2s give to music that I thought I had heard before.  I have been playing studio recordings that I thought sounded great before and been amazed at how much more full the sound is.  Then I play the same recording on my downstairs playback (pioneer elite DV-45a->3000ES->Tannoy M3s, and the same recording sounds lifeless...and this isnt a knock on the tannoys as I think they sound good, but more of a positive thought on how amazing the VR-2s sound.  And by biamping these speakers (200W per speaker right now), I find that I can listen at much lower volumes than I had in the past and still enjoy a big soundstage and the clarity I get at higher volumes...

At the price for B-Stock VR-2s, I am not sure there is a better value out there...my next step will be to spike these as I am still dialing in the image and since I dont have as much opportunity to go higher volumes than I have in the past with Abby in the house, I am going to put it off until I am sure I have them perfectly spaced...

have your tried a side by side comparison between the DV45 and 2900 yet?

I just got around to this this week and the results were mixed.  From an Audio perspective, I preferred the 2900, both feeding the Arcam digitally and analog.  Not exactly sure what I am hearing, but the difference is there...it sounds on the surface to be a little more clarity, especially on the high notes...

from a video perspective though, the pioneer wins hands down.  The 2900 pic is silightly grainy and not as sharp as the pioneer pic is.  This is being viewed on my Sony 50" SXRD set. 

So I moved the pioneer back downstairs to the family room and I think I am going to order the oppo unit in the next few weeks to give that a shot for video...will post as I get more results...

next step is I want to get a center and two surround speakers.  I had thought about the VR-1s as surrounds, but I just dont have enough space in the room..so I am really looking for something smaller...maybe even wall mountable for the surrounds...I know B&W makes some units in this space...so any input is appreciated.  Also looking for input on the center channel as well.  Would like to get something that can use a full 100W and not sound thin.  I had looked at the VS unit, but I have read mixed reviews about how it sounds...Given the fact that my music listening is pretty much completely 2 channel, I am not as concerned about mixing brands...really interested in quality..

appreciate any and all input as always!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2007, 07:55:37 AM »
awesome Nick.
Albert makes some great speakers eh?  those VR2s are super deals at the B stock price.  Wish I could still get deals w/them.
:(

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2007, 08:25:52 AM »

next step is I want to get a center and two surround speakers.  I had thought about the VR-1s as surrounds, but I just dont have enough space in the room..so I am really looking for something smaller...maybe even wall mountable for the surrounds...I know B&W makes some units in this space...so any input is appreciated.  Also looking for input on the center channel as well.  Would like to get something that can use a full 100W and not sound thin.  I had looked at the VS unit, but I have read mixed reviews about how it sounds...Given the fact that my music listening is pretty much completely 2 channel, I am not as concerned about mixing brands...really interested in quality..

appreciate any and all input as always!

Nick,

Glad to hear everything is sounding good!  No surprise to me in your DVD comparo results.  On to that center channel....

I would stick with a VS unit.  I understand that you are mainly 2 channel, but I've heard systems where the front stage wasn't matched and it sounded like chit.  The LCR-15 does sound a little thin, but last I checked the LCR-35 was $2K+.

For the surrounds it you can just about get anything.

Glad to hear you like the Stealth mini.  Iwas going to try the Stealth XXX, but ended up getting a PS Audio Quintet instead.  Really wanted to keep analog and digital on different circuits, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference if it came to it.  Once I get a feel for what it does to the system, I'm sending it off to a guy to measure how much filtering it really does.

Scott

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2007, 09:26:46 AM »
Nick,

Glad to hear everything is sounding good!  No surprise to me in your DVD comparo results.  On to that center channel....

I would stick with a VS unit.  I understand that you are mainly 2 channel, but I've heard systems where the front stage wasn't matched and it sounded like chit.  The LCR-15 does sound a little thin, but last I checked the LCR-35 was $2K+.

yeah, the pricing was partly what was driving me to other Center options...but keeping the front stage consistent makes sense...will have to keep my eyes open for a LCR-15

For the surrounds it you can just about get anything.

Cool...this is what I though, but wanted a second opinion before I went to far down this path

Glad to hear you like the Stealth mini.  Iwas going to try the Stealth XXX, but ended up getting a PS Audio Quintet instead.  Really wanted to keep analog and digital on different circuits, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference if it came to it.  Once I get a feel for what it does to the system, I'm sending it off to a guy to measure how much filtering it really does.

Yeah, I didnt have enough experience with my system to know what difference it actually ended up making...especially since the sound stage with the VR-2s was already huge.  That said, before I could hear a slight buzz in the speakers at high volumes, now it is totally black...so I at least know that is a benefit.

I am thinking about getting the ps audio duet for the tv and sat receiver though...as I currently have them both running into a monster stage 1 outlet strip currently...

Would definitely be interested to hear your end results on filtering and the effect....I believe that it has an effect, at least from a conceptual view....just like more solid results than "conceptually it does " ;D

awesome Nick.
Albert makes some great speakers eh?  those VR2s are super deals at the B stock price.  Wish I could still get deals w/them.
:(

he really does.  I am amazed at what I hear when I listen to these.  I listened to a fair amount of music through B&Ws at the local audiophile store, and while I liked those quite a bit...I think the VRs have them beat when it comes to producing a wide soundstage...

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2007, 01:03:24 PM »
Just noticed VSA's new center the Visiun or something???   $5K!!!!!  :jawdrop:

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2007, 01:02:04 PM »
Speaker width and listening distance vary from speaker to speaker just like recommended toe-in.

Start with an equilateral triangle and work your way closer until the soundstage is as wide as you like it without loosing the center.

The folks at VonSchweikert should be able to give you a recommendation.

The only issue I can see with your current listening position is that you're going to be dealing with an awful lot of reflections front to back.  I would hang a tapestry or curtain behind you and behind your speakers as mentioned earlier. Your head is against the wall so you're going to hear late reflections pretty clearly.

I would try re-orienting one day for giggles.  I've got my setup in a room similar and found the longway setup to be more open.  Of course I haven't done the wall treatments yet...  :-[  :slacker:  (Sek'd Soundcard->STR-DA3000ES->TAO Research Separates (Dynaudio Drivers with Custom Crossovers) )

Have fun with the new setup
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2007, 01:12:35 PM »
PS...

Could you tell from the Pics that I'm currently listening to stober's 3-30-07 Panic pull!

;D
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »
thanks for the input jammin!  Actually I am enjoying playing with the setup...seems I think I got it, then I toe them in a bit or move them out and it sounds even better...pretty entertaining process though my wife thinks I am whacked...

for those interested some final pics...a couple from both sides of my setup, one from my sitting position, and lastly my newest acquisition :P

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2007, 07:18:20 PM »
thanks for the input jammin!  Actually I am enjoying playing with the setup...seems I think I got it, then I toe them in a bit or move them out and it sounds even better...pretty entertaining process though my wife thinks I am whacked...

I haven't gotten mine dialed in yet.  I haven't wanted to mess with running back & forth between moving them both myself & listening.  I need to get some buddies over to move the speakers so I can stay put.  I haven't asked the wife to help for fear of a divorce  ;)
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2007, 07:19:26 PM »

I haven't gotten mine dialed in yet.  I haven't wanted to mess with running back & forth between moving them both myself & listening.  I need to get some buddies over to move the speakers so I can stay put.  I haven't asked the wife to help for fear of a divorce  ;)

yeah, see I tried that...she rolled her eyes and left the room :P

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2007, 07:21:16 PM »

yeah, see I tried that...she rolled her eyes and left the room :P

I thought about it for about 2 minutes when I was fooling around with them, but mine are 150 lbs a piece.  I think the wife would kill me after the second move.   :yack:
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 12:05:36 AM »
hey Nick, maybe try using owens-corning 703 panels on the ceilings and walls to virtually eliminate the unwanted reflections in your setup. Looks very nice.
I made my own acoustic panels using 703 and 1x4's, covered it with cool fabric and attached to walls and ceilings. Looks nice and works really well.
Bass traps in the corners are especially helpful. Would post pics but typing from the laptop.
Good luck, Phil

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com