Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Maybe a decent Universal Player option?  (Read 28071 times)

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Maybe a decent Universal Player option?
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2007, 10:02:14 AM »
This is how they responded to my e-mail:

Noam,

We have heard conflicting reports about the audio support through optical and coaxial. Our manufacturer partners and reviewers have said that we dither to 16-bit, while end users and beta testers claim to receive 24-bit through optical and coaxial. Our official statement is 16-bit.

How could they not know?  ::)

Probably just some L1 guy sitting there answering emails... you may be able to push back and get to an engineer type who would actually know the answer.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2007, 10:28:19 AM »
Companies buy parts based on the manufacturers’ specs, assemble them and sell a product that they don’t know all aspects of its performance. There have been many cases of products that went under because the seller of the final product did not (and could not) know how the final product performs.

There are other aspects of DVD players that nobody was ever able to explain to me. I have 2 players connected to the same DAC1 through their S/PDIF jacks. One is an old Panasonic S55 and the other a Denon 2910. The Denon gives me much better sound from DVD-V's, but both sound the same for DVD-A’s and CD’s. How come? It’s all zeros and ones, no? (Assuming jitter is not an issue because the DAC1 resamples and corrects jitter.) Someone suggested that the explanation is that the DVD-V soundtrack is compressed, lossy, multi-channel audio data. The Panasonic and Denon probably have different types of circuits to expand/extract that data to 0s and 1s before pushing it out to the DAC. The difference in the sound probably lies there, and the fact that the Denon and Panny sounding the same when playing DVD-As and CDs makes complete sense. They're only transporting the 0s and 1s to the DAC, that's it.

The problem with that explanation is the few audio-DVD’s that I burned myself with audio-DVD creator are uncompressed and yet they sound better on the Denon. I don’t believe I will ever find out why, because Denon and Panasonic (and everyone else) buy the circuits to expand/extract that data from DVD’s from third parties and they don’t know exactly how they function. These are not questions that someone can just look up; I believe it requires real research and some serious testing.

Noam

This is how they responded to my e-mail:

Noam,

We have heard conflicting reports about the audio support through optical and coaxial. Our manufacturer partners and reviewers have said that we dither to 16-bit, while end users and beta testers claim to receive 24-bit through optical and coaxial. Our official statement is 16-bit.

How could they not know?  ::)

Probably just some L1 guy sitting there answering emails... you may be able to push back and get to an engineer type who would actually know the answer.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:29:54 AM by noam »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2007, 11:13:28 AM »
The problem with that explanation is the few audio-DVD’s that I burned myself with audio-DVD creator are uncompressed and yet they sound better on the Denon.

that is my experience as well...the 981HD Oppo unit sounds good, but the Denon 2900 bests it to my ears...

RebelRebel

« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2007, 12:51:49 PM »
I have both the OPPO and the Denon and I prefer the OPPO by a large margin for "acoustic" music, but prefer the denon for my rock/secular/country etc CDs. The Mytek stereo 96 DAC trounces them both usunder by leaps and bounds, but that is to be expected I guess.

aside/by the way...(If anyone is looking for a really HQ, Top Shelf DAC. for little money...adding a Mytek is a great idea. Ive preferred it over EMM laBS, dcs, Lavry, Benchmark, and Monarch..I am surprised that more folks dont use them)

The problem with that explanation is the few audio-DVD’s that I burned myself with audio-DVD creator are uncompressed and yet they sound better on the Denon.

that is my experience as well...the 981HD Oppo unit sounds good, but the Denon 2900 bests it to my ears...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2007, 05:01:09 PM »
over the emm eh?
I'll have to trade you for my Oade mod 901 for a while.
we'll see whats what.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2007, 10:10:03 PM »
over the emm eh?
I'll have to trade you for my Oade mod 901 for a while.
we'll see whats what.

Didn't realize Doug mod'd these.  What are the specifics?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2007, 07:23:20 AM »
dont know yet.
:)

he does something for the output stage, and replaces the headphone jacks w/RCAs.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2007, 08:07:18 AM »
dont know yet.
:)

he does something for the output stage, and replaces the headphone jacks w/RCAs.

What's the point of replacing the 1/4" with RCA's?  Why not use a 1/4" > xx cable for running it as a pre?  Besides, does he really replace two stereo outputs (2 x 1/4" trs jacks) with a single set of RCA outs?  That's the only way I see him being able to do it without modifying the enclosure.  Maybe I'm just slow, but I don't get it.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2007, 08:18:10 AM »
the point ?
i dont know.  better fitting connectors.  beats me.  I'd rather have RCA output than TRS any way, for my uses.
I"m sure he isn't disabling both of the headphone jacks, that wouldn't be necessary unless he plans to  put the RCAs in there.  I want one hot TRS jack though.

the big difference is the output.  he says this simple little mod brings his 901 *very* close to his EMM labs DAC6.

Doug has never steered me wrong.  when he says "send me $100 and your gear and i'll make it sound 10x better than stock"....you can bet i'm digging up the checkbook.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2007, 08:41:21 AM »
Doug has never steered me wrong.  when he says "send me $100 and your gear and i'll make it sound 10x better than stock"....you can bet i'm digging up the checkbook.

Don't disagree.  Just wasn't following how he was going to achieve the rca's.  Sounded to me like you lost both TRS jacks, which makes it unusable as a headphone amp.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2007, 08:53:23 AM »
I dont really know his approach to that one.  but I'll find out.
i'm sending it down for the MOD this week.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com