Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: possible to mod AT822 for phantom?  (Read 2112 times)

Offline matt s.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
possible to mod AT822 for phantom?
« on: April 04, 2007, 03:12:50 AM »
Hi new here and have been video taping a few shows lately and ive had a AT822 for some years now that i used with a MD recorder to record ambient sound for video. Now that my cams  have XLR's and phantom was curious if there is a mod to convert the 822 to be run off phantom rather than the battery. If not i guess its time to buy a matched pair of condensers or the 825.

thanks for any info

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
Re: possible to mod AT822 for phantom?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 11:48:03 PM »
just throwing it out there... not sure if it will work... but maybe mod the ends of the y cable to be the AT phantom adapters instead of just regular xlrs?
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 06:27:03 PM »
The AT822 runs off of 1.5V, phantom is 40V. I'm thinking if you make a custom cable for it that has two male xlr at the camera end, and one female xlr and a little battery connector for the mic, you will create smoke. Might as well buy some nicer mics that run phantom.
Also, you can run the AT from rechargeable AA nimh which will last all day (haven't tested it, but it isn't a huge current draw). There isn't any real need to mess around with that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 06:30:11 PM by mumboulin »
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline matt s.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:12:26 AM »
yeah i figured it was probably a no go but since ive had the mic just laying around thought it wouldnt hurt to ask :)

im looking into some of the less exspensive condensers. I mostly do video work (tape a few shows for fun every once in a while) and my indoor boom and sometimes on cam mic is the AKG SE300 with CK93 cap so i may look into the new Perception 150

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 03:12:20 AM »
If you really dig the 822 sound, you may be able to sell it and upgrade to the 825 - same capsule (I believe) and runs on +48v (or batts)
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 03:51:56 AM »
Hi new here and have been video taping a few shows lately and ive had a AT822 for some years now that i used with a MD recorder to record ambient sound for video. Now that my cams  have XLR's and phantom was curious if there is a mod to convert the 822 to be run off phantom rather than the battery. If not i guess its time to buy a matched pair of condensers or the 825.

thanks for any info

There is no way to mod the mic to run on phantom since its unbalanced... But you can use "samson" impedance converters and convert the mic to XLR * but * you would have to have the samson impedance converters modified to connect to the mics and not supply the bias voltage to them....

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline matt s.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 04:35:29 AM »
thanks for the replies. Yeah Kyle the sound isnt bad but its not something im attached too. Ill probably just pick up something else.

thanks for the explanation Chris.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 01:46:57 PM »
I have an 825 and having compared the mic +48 vs. batt.....I think it sounds much better on the battery.
Which surprised me..........I thought phantom would sound better but it didn't by far...
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.233 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com