Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UV filter  (Read 4384 times)

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
UV filter
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:39:04 AM »
I have been reading that a lot of people keep UV filers on their lenses for protection.  You guys agree?  Is there a particular filter that is better than another for this purpose?  Suggestions?

h
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: UV filter
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 10:43:59 AM »
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 10:52:36 AM »
Working in a Camera store, I've seen the results of both having a filter and not.  It keeps the lens safe from scratches, and possibly impact.  I think its a small cost to protect the lens.  Most people use either a UV or a Skylight 1A filter.  Looking at the tests eric posted.. you may get what you pay for, as there's a large cost difference between different brands of filters. 

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 11:57:57 AM »
thanks guys!  +t
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
    • www.youtube.com/GreatTapes
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 05:46:49 PM »
I use a Tiffen UV filter for my GS300.
My Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/GreatTapes

Audio:
Church Audio STC11 Cardioids>ST9000>Tascam Dr2d

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline palmettobum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "dirty pull"
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 04:34:01 PM »
I just heard about this today.  :banging head: Blew my mind I tell ya.  Selling that 50mm 1.8 w/ filter and a guy on craigslist is telling me how you lose 1-2 stops with a filter and sacrifice sharpness atlow f-stops and high ISO's.  I never had a clue.   Goodbye filters unless I'm at the beach or something.   Figured I would share my 'light-bulb' moment.

that link is really interesting
http://www.kenandchristine.com/gallery/1054387/1
audio:  cemc6/ck4 > silver clad > ua5 (wmod) > jb3 > svu1
photo:  d200 > 28-70mm f2.8, 50mm 1.8

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 04:45:39 PM »
I just heard about this today.  :banging head: Blew my mind I tell ya.  Selling that 50mm 1.8 w/ filter and a guy on craigslist is telling me how you lose 1-2 stops with a filter and sacrifice sharpness atlow f-stops and high ISO's.  I never had a clue.   Goodbye filters unless I'm at the beach or something.   Figured I would share my 'light-bulb' moment.

that link is really interesting
http://www.kenandchristine.com/gallery/1054387/1

If we lost that much light with UV filters, the required exposure as indicated by camera would also change by two stops.  Obviously that's not the case, but the Ken and Christine experiment definitely shows that contrast is affected.  That is interesting.  I'll have to try the experiment myself, thanks!
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

stirinthesauce

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 05:52:37 PM »
I've not noticed a difference using quality UV filters.  I don't think I want to shoot without one anyways in the field and risk damaging a 1k lens from a scratch.  In fact, I always have another filter on, either the uv or a polarizer.  Maybe if I shot in controlled enviroments like a indoor studio, but I'm outside with the dirt and the wind and everything else. 

of course ymmv

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 07:06:31 PM »
I actually moved away from using them.  I found it most noticeable in the slight loss of contrast.  I really seemed to notice it with low light stuff like concerts.  You tend to have relatively low light subjects with very bright light sources at high angles to the lens.  I found that when shooting at large apertures you get a lot of diffraction from the stage lights and wind up with overall low contrast as a result.  It seemed to be more prominent with reds that with blues.  Since going to not using a UV filter I have overall seen an improved number of keepers.  I'm sure some of it is my technique has improved, but I'm convinced that is not all of it.

I will still stick one on my "walkaround" lens if I'm just out messing around and image quality is not the #1 factor. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 07:08:08 PM by phanophish »

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 07:18:29 PM »
I actually moved away from using them.  I found it most noticeable in the slight loss of contrast.  I really seemed to notice it with low light stuff like concerts.  You tend to have relatively low light subjects with very bright light sources at high angles to the lens.  I found that when shooting at large apertures you get a lot of diffraction from the stage lights and wind up with overall low contrast as a result.  It seemed to be more prominent with reds that with blues.  Since going to not using a UV filter I have overall seen an improved number of keepers.  I'm sure some of it is my technique has improved, but I'm convinced that is not all of it.

I will still stick one on my "walkaround" lens if I'm just out messing around and image quality is not the #1 factor. 

I'll try without next time I'm shooting concert photog.  I'm just literally outside in the elements for 90% of what I shoot (landscapes) and am often times on the trail  swapping lenses in a rush to get the last shot in as the sun sets, etc.  I worry about my handling of the lenses, the dirt or sand that could be in my bag as I put a lens in without the lens cap on because I'm in a hurry.  Just don't want to scratch them.  As for contrast, I don't feel a lacking there, I notice more of a difference in contrast in whether or not I'm using my canon, sigma or tokina lens.

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 04:26:37 PM »

I'll try without next time I'm shooting concert photog.  I'm just literally outside in the elements for 90% of what I shoot (landscapes) and am often times on the trail  swapping lenses in a rush to get the last shot in as the sun sets, etc.  I worry about my handling of the lenses, the dirt or sand that could be in my bag as I put a lens in without the lens cap on because I'm in a hurry.  Just don't want to scratch them.  As for contrast, I don't feel a lacking there, I notice more of a difference in contrast in whether or not I'm using my canon, sigma or tokina lens.

I don't notice it in all of my shots, but there are always a few when shooting a show that I suspect the contrast was messed up by refraction within the lens.  I just see less of it without the filter.  Do you have the same brand UV filter on all of your glass?  That might also account fro some of the differences, not saying that some of the variation is the lens, because I see that with my lenses as well.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 10:22:31 PM »

I don't notice it in all of my shots, but there are always a few when shooting a show that I suspect the contrast was messed up by refraction within the lens.  I just see less of it without the filter.  Do you have the same brand UV filter on all of your glass?  That might also account fro some of the differences, not saying that some of the variation is the lens, because I see that with my lenses as well.

yeah, I have different brands.  I've swapped the one on my tokina with the one on my canon and haven't noticed a difference.  I haven't tried swapping on my sigma lens.  I'll try without the next time I'm indoors with concert photog.  Lots of light going on stage.  Time to switch things up a bit and see what kind of differences, if any I see.

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 09:13:44 AM »
I'm forced to keep a filter on my GS300 because the camera fell over and the outer assembly popped off breaking open the piece inside that closed to act as a lens cover.  I took the pieces out that closed together and the camera still work fine.  I just don't have a lens cover except the filter.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com