Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Possibility to use an extra lens on a camcorder?  (Read 4064 times)

Offline fey-metallica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Possibility to use an extra lens on a camcorder?
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:18:44 AM »
I have some shows comming up for which I will need more than my current 25x zoom. Is there a possibility to get an extra lens like with photography? What would be a good lens for Sony DCR-HC47?

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Possibility to use an extra lens on a camcorder?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 12:18:10 PM »
Yes.  Most camcorders can take an external lens.  You need to find out what size thread your camera has.  It will me in millimeters.  Then search for telephoto lenses that have that size thread or larger ones that come with a "step up" ring which is a ring that has your camera thread size on one end and the larger lens thread size on the other.  Check eBay.  There are some good deals on generic stuff there.

Offline Josh P

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 12:42:21 PM »
I've got a couple doublers and they work well zoomed all the way in, but when pulled all the way back its like you're shooting through a telescope with the corners being cut off.  Is there a way around that?

Also, what does it mean when BandHphoto says this in the specifications tab for a telephoto lense...

Zoom Through: Yes

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 02:05:23 PM »
I've got a couple doublers and they work well zoomed all the way in, but when pulled all the way back its like you're shooting through a telescope with the corners being cut off.  Is there a way around that?

Also, what does it mean when BandHphoto says this in the specifications tab for a telephoto lense...

It means you can use the zoom on the camera and it will look normal.  A fixed adapter will get vignetting (black circle around the image) if zoom.  So if you have a zoom through telephoto lens you can use it in conjunction with the zoom on your camera and get a closer shot than with no telephoto lens.

Offline Josh P

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 02:46:30 PM »

It means you can use the zoom on the camera and it will look normal.  A fixed adapter will get vignetting (black circle around the image) if zoom.  So if you have a zoom through telephoto lens you can use it in conjunction with the zoom on your camera and get a closer shot than with no telephoto lens.

hmm, still not crystal clear on this...

So if I'm getting the black edges when I zoom all the way out than it is NOT a "zoom through lens"?

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 03:51:31 PM »
The black edges should disappear at some point.  If they stay there when you zoom then it's probably a fixed lens.  For instance, I have a 2X telephoto lens for my Panasonic camera.  When I first put it on at no zoom I get the black edges, known as vignetting.  When I start zooming the edges go away.  It's a zoom through lens.  If the edges do not go away on your lens it is fixed.  Some lenses are made to put on a camera and not use anything but normal focus.  It would make sense that a telephoto lens might be this way.  Is the lens you have specifically a camcorder lens or a photo lens.  It might make a difference.

Offline Josh P

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 03:56:04 PM »
gotcha, that clears it up.  I do have a zoom through lense then.  The black edges disappear once I zoom in a bit.  Just wish there was a lense that didn't have those black edges so I could get the best of both worlds, ie. being able to zoom all the way out and get a full stage shot, and then be able to zoom way in on the hands/fret....all with a standard 10x optical zoom from a pretty far distance.  Guess thats just a fantasy! 

Offline fey-metallica

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »
So this one would be one that has the right mm size. The 2.0X magnification means it can make my 25x zoom to 50x zoom with the same quality? Thanks for the help.

Yes.  Most camcorders can take an external lens.  You need to find out what size thread your camera has.  It will me in millimeters.  Then search for telephoto lenses that have that size thread or larger ones that come with a "step up" ring which is a ring that has your camera thread size on one end and the larger lens thread size on the other.  Check eBay.  There are some good deals on generic stuff there.

Offline Josh P

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 07:19:45 PM »
So this one would be one that has the right mm size. The 2.0X magnification means it can make my 25x zoom to 50x zoom with the same quality? Thanks for the help.

I own 2 telephoto lenses now.  I can definitely tell you that you get what you pay for.  My $150 doubler is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the one that came in a camera package deal.

I could only find one review for the particular doubler you linked and it doesn't sound good...

Not what I expected, October 8, 2005
By  M. LeBlanc (Connecticut) - See all my reviews

I recommend NOT to purchase this item. Look for another one.
The lens itself seems ok, although I can't really say, but the adapter which is built in to the lens is shoddy and cumbersome and ruins the the whole deal. The adapter is a quick release type where one end attaches to the camera and the lens simply snaps in, or is quickly released. This would be great, except for two very important things. One, the lens fits very loosely in the quick release adapter. This causes some MAJOR distortion, especially when moving. Two, the housing is made of thin plastic which does not seem very durable. In fact it is so cheaply thin that I am afraid to leave it in my car because the heat may distort the plastic. One drop, even a small one, and it is done for.

Offline fey-metallica

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 08:10:19 PM »
Always good to check before the buy. What lens do you have? Can you recommened one that has 30mm?

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 10:18:17 AM »
One thing to be aware of... regardless of the quality of the add-on lens, you will not get the "same" quality as without it. The add on lens is another barrier to the light coming into your camera, and will darken your image some... there will also be some bending of the image at the far end of the zoom... perhaps neither is enough to bother you. Also, when you zoom further it will increase any shakey-cam effect you might get if you are hand-holding the camera.
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com