Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone Recommendation  (Read 10824 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Headphone Recommendation
« on: October 04, 2007, 01:14:07 PM »
Somebody recommend me a good set of headphones specific for use in the field.  They're going to be used in loud concert environments to help set the pattern and width for a Soundfield setup on the fly.  I need a set of cans that has good rejection of outside noise, good bass extension, and won't drain my bank account. 
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
Re: Headphone Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Those would be magic headphones you're looking for  ;)

If anything though, try the in-ear-monitor route.  I use a pair of Etymotic ER-4Ss and Shure SE530s, both of which offer a fair amount of isolation (the Etys are much better, though), and it's STILL not enough to monitor effectively at the average loud concert.  Also, because the attenuated ambient noise is still pretty loud, you'll need to crank the volume to unhealthy levels. 

Now if you wear hearing protectors on top of IEMs, you'll be getting somewhere... but you'll also look like a dork   :)
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 01:29:45 PM »
Sony MDR-7506 without question.   You can find them for $100 or less tons of places.   

They are a helluva field headphone.  I absolutely love mine.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 01:40:38 PM »
Sony MDR-7506 without question.   You can find them for $100 or less tons of places.   

I love mine, but I don't feel they isolate very well.

to the OP, be careful of damaging your hearing.  Concert SPLs are ridiclously loud as is...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:28:26 PM »
I agree with pfife on the 7506's - I love em and they are built like tanks but I don't find that they isolate that well.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 02:40:22 PM »

I love mine, but I don't feel they isolate very well.

to the OP, be careful of damaging your hearing.  Concert SPLs are ridiclously loud as is...

I use my 7506 headphone for live mixing all the time.. Plenty of isolation for my needs for the last 20 years or so. But if your right beside the PA they might not isolate enough. :) These headphones are the standard mixing headphones for live sound in the industry since there inception.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

ilduclo

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 02:42:51 PM »
SENNHEISERS

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 02:44:21 PM »
I think I remember reading that the sennheiser hd280's reject about 30 db of outside noise so they could be decent for on the fly mixing. I wouldn't say they have the greatest bass extension in the world. They are bulky as hell for lugging around in a gear bag too, but I know some tapers who do (bean comes to mind).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:55:40 PM by Shawn »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 02:50:35 PM »
I use my 7506 headphone for live mixing all the time.. Plenty of isolation for my needs for the last 20 years or so. But if your right beside the PA they might not isolate enough. :) These headphones are the standard mixing headphones for live sound in the industry since there inception.

how does the headphone jack on the 722 compare to one on a FOH desk? I used my 7506's when I was mixing but that was with the good headphone jacks on the console

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 02:53:20 PM »
I think I remember reading that the sennheiser hd580's reject about 30 db of outside noise...

No offense, but that's gotta be a mistake.  The 580 is an open-back design that might attenuate ambient noise by a handful of decibels.  I've never worn them, but my Grados are the same type of headphone. 

Maybe you're referring to a closed-back model? 

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 02:54:51 PM »
oops I meant hd280. brain fart.

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 02:59:16 PM »
how does the headphone jack on the 722 compare to one on a FOH desk? I used my 7506's when I was mixing but that was with the good headphone jacks on the console

It gets loud.  It doesn't sound any good, but it gets loud enough to monitor.  I have to agree with the recommendations for an in-ear monitor like the Etymotics or Shures.  I keep a pair of ER6s in my bag, and they're a great tool.  The 7-series headphone amp doesn't sound good enough to really evaluate how good a recording you're getting, but you can establish the overall signal, balance, time issues, etc... and really that's probably all most of us need to do in the field.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »
The only headphone/iem's I could recommend are the ones that have custom molding to fit your ears to provide the absolute best hearing protection and that will give you the ability to monitor on the fly.

I've owned the 7506's for 6 years, they don't block out enough train noise to be used in the subway (I'm talking about the A, C and F lines for you New Yorkers).  I think the 7506's might give you about 5db of isolation, they're pretty much useless for on the fly monitoring, imho.

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »
I've owned the 7506's for 6 years, they don't block out enough train noise to be used in the subway (I'm talking about the A, C and F lines for you New Yorkers).  I think the 7506's might give you about 5db of isolation, they're pretty much useless for on the fly monitoring, imho.

this was my experience with them too.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 03:41:08 PM »
...they don't block out enough train noise to be used in the subway (I'm talking about the A, C and F lines for you New Yorkers). 

I hate the noise of the subway about 10% as much as I hate the summer heat down there (meaning I still really, really hate the noise).  With a pair of Shure SE530s and a Ray Samuels Tomahawk, I'm the happiest guy on the PATH... everybody else looks as painfully miserable as I'd be otherwise!   ;D

I found that the Etys isolate too well to be safe in a busy place like this, however.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com