Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digital cameras  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Salva Veritate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Digital cameras
« on: October 13, 2007, 05:05:54 PM »
What's the general feeling on digital cameras, in regards to video quality and the like. I talk to tapers on youtube that use digital cameras, and the filesize is invariable small, unlike VHS > DVD transfers, and the output file is often lossy. I don't yet have a camera myself (still saving up, I'm notorious among my friends for being frugal) so I want to know what to look for.

In advance, please excuse my ignorance on the matter. I'm....not very good.  :(

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Digital cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 08:36:34 PM »
Digital still cameras should only be used for taking photos. Video is crap. I've yet to see a decent concert video taken with a digicam. Good luck trying to focus manually when shooting video or adjusting the exposure.

Anybody calling themselves a 'taper' who uses a digicam to take videos has no idea.

No doubt people are going to claim that their digicam takes 'great' video. Don't listen to them, unless your standards a very low.

Offline Salva Veritate

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:19:41 PM »
No, I meant like a digital video camera. Let's say your run of the mill average $120 digital video camera.

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 02:39:38 AM »
I've never seen a miniDV video camera for $120.  Low end Sonys and Canons start at around $280 (new), but I'm sure you'll be able to find good quality used items on eBay.
Do you have a link to any of these $120 video cameras?

Offline 6stringer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 11:05:24 PM »
the filesize is invariable small, unlike VHS > DVD transfers, and the output file is often lossy.

Sure doesn't sound like you're talking MinDV here. Yes DV is compressed, but still clocks at about 12 gigs/hour of footage.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com