Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: which portable recorder have ................  (Read 4123 times)

Offline ben9999imsc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
which portable recorder have ................
« on: December 13, 2007, 05:09:40 PM »
which portable recorder have a better playback sound quality than hi-md ??

under $400

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: which portable recorder have ................
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 05:19:35 PM »
Do you plan on recording, or just playing back?

If recording, with what other gear do you plan on using the recorder?
In what types of environments (nature recordings, live PA'd music, voice interviews)?
Is the $400 budget for the recorder only, or does it also need to cover the recording medium (CF card, SD card, etc.)?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ben9999imsc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 05:31:33 PM »
Do you plan on recording, or just playing back?

If recording, with what other gear do you plan on using the recorder?
In what types of environments (nature recordings, live PA'd music, voice interviews)?
Is the $400 budget for the recorder only, or does it also need to cover the recording medium (CF card, SD card, etc.)?

both recording and playback , i am using sony zx90 microphone and rh1 , record voice and instrument . budget 400 not include other things

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 08:54:38 PM »
Get a better set of mics and you will be fine.  The RH! records in WAV at 16/44.1, has a good pre-amp and can handle just about any reasonable mic output through mic in (low or hi0 or line-in.  It is a good way to practice and learn.  And it is always a good backup.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline ben9999imsc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:05:26 PM »
Get a better set of mics and you will be fine.  The RH! records in WAV at 16/44.1, has a good pre-amp and can handle just about any reasonable mic output through mic in (low or hi0 or line-in.  It is a good way to practice and learn.  And it is always a good backup.

Cheers

but i dont want to use md

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:59:16 PM »
IMO, under $400, there are no portable recorders that sound better than the Hi-MD units.  There are reasons why people buy other gear (coax digital input on Microtrack, built-in mics on R-09, four channel recording on Zoom H2, and so on).  But none of these machines sound better.

One issue with the Hi-MD is that it does not handle rock concert sound levels well.  You'll need mic attenuators (or record into the line input) to help the Hi-MD handle very loud venues.

I think the Fostex FR-2LE is the best inexpensive recorder right now.  You can find them on eBay for about $450.  Add an 8GB Compactflash for $90 or less, and you're ready to record 24/96 for about 4 hours.

Flintstone

Offline ben9999imsc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »
but i dont want to use md

Why not? 

You should make yourself a couple of lists: 1.  What don't I like about my mini-disc?, and  2.  What are my priorities for a new recorder (maybe in order of importance)?  Then compare your requirements with what is out there.  To be honest, you are unlikely to find something that perfectly meets all of your demands, unless you spend a bundle of money (and maybe not even then).  You will have to compromise somewhere.

Some of the people on this site really know what they are talking about (and I don't pretend to be one of them); if you're more focused in your requests for information, they will be better able to help you!  And maybe try searching/reading some of the threads...

i am afraid md is easy to be not useable

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »

One issue with the Hi-MD is that it does not handle rock concert sound levels well.  You'll need mic attenuators (or record into the line input) to help the Hi-MD handle very loud venues.
Flintstone

What is a good mic attenuators? I have a minidisc right now (the less expensive rh, i believe mz-m10) and it can't handle loud music at all and I just need a mic attenuator for loud sound. Does radio shack have any decent ones?

-rastaSean
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »
If we're talking about playback through headphones, that's another can of worms.  Some devices make fantastic recordings but have less than stellar headphone quality (FR2-LE I believe is an example - hissy??).  There's also the matter of some devices working better with some headphones than others - impedance matching etc.  Some people equate "better" with "louder".  Not easy to make a straightforward recommendation in this minefield.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 09:04:22 PM »

Flintstone

What is a good mic attenuators? I have a minidisc right now (the less expensive rh, i believe mz-m10) and it can't handle loud music at all and I just need a mic attenuator for loud sound. Does radio shack have any decent ones?

-rastaSean
whats your input?
i have a 1/8 female > 1/8 male -20db cable from microphone madness
it was like $20
i use it for going sbd line > mic input on my camcorder
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 06:24:43 PM »

[/quote]whats your input?
i have a 1/8 female > 1/8 male -20db cable from microphone madness
it was like $20
i use it for going sbd line > mic input on my camcorder
[/quote]

I'll consider that cable but I need something to plug my 1/8" stereo lav mic into the line-in on the minidisc recorder. It is two mics connected to one cable. The giant-squid-audio-lab setup.
Maybe I need some kind of mic amp to plug it into the line-in. All I know is when I use the mic in in loud situations, the levels are blown and way too high.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.207 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com