Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help me set up my new place  (Read 10567 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
help me set up my new place
« on: February 10, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »
my building was sold, and my new landlord is kicking us out.

So I just signed a lease yesterday for a new place.  I move in in March.  The downstairs of this place is a small living room and kitchen.  If you're standing at the end of the kitchen looking out (kitchen and living room is basically the same room), there's a fireplace on the far wall, and the left and right walls each have a window in the middle and a radiator below the window.  So unless I want to put a tv in front of a window and radiator (would anyone do this?), my options are pretty much a corner unit or in front of/on top of the fireplace.

The problem with a corner tv stand i that I don't think I'd have room to put my von schweikert vr2's on either side, since the radiator on the side wall might interfere.  I also would rather not set up in a corner, since then there's really no kickass sweet spot for surround sound

so that leaves the options of mounting a tv above the fireplace or just saying screw the fireplace and putting a tv stand in front of it.  While I don't think I'd ever really use the fireplace, I am not sure if I want to just cover it up with a tv stand and tv.  But I'm not totaly against it

If I were to put an lcd or plasma above the fireplace, i suppose I could put a center channel on the mantle and speakers on the side.  But then if I put a component rack on one side of the fireplace, I still have to run a set of speaker cables across the fireplace floor to get to the speaker on the other side.  This is kind of a problem since my speaker cables are like garden hoses (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,15019.msg187312.html#msg187312)

any suggestions on what to do?  what would you guys do in my situation?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
Re: help me set up my new place
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »
very lame drawing of the room

bottom of the picture is the kitchen.  it's not a wall

Offline spott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 11:53:50 PM »
hmmm.... if you're not planning on using the fireplace; I'd suggest putting a stand in front of there, generally speaking "above" the fireplace is a terrible viewing angle and you'll be craning your neck to get a good look.  I agree with the corner placement, not really the best alternative - and if the radiator was anything like the apartment I had in DC  - keep couches and electronics AWAY from there.  I had some "heat damage" to a couch that was ~3 feet in-front of the radiator. You don't want to risk your VR2's or cables for that matter - hiding the cables will be another issue (don't have a solution for that sorry).

How many square feet is the place?

Offline scb

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:01:48 AM »
i was thinking i could probably turn a  radiator off, but i don't know...

not sure of the square footage, but it's not a large room

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »
Mine is fine above the fireplace, I have it angled down ever so slightly but in my recliner it's quite nice to view.  My fireplace is not extrordinarily tall though.  As for the cables I had someone wire them through the wall if that's an option.  If not a plant will disguise them nicely.
mics & cameras

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
put the tv in front of the fireplace and act like it isnt even there...since you arent going to use it, this is the easiest solution.

Offline scb

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:49:44 PM »
put the tv in front of the fireplace and act like it isnt even there...since you arent going to use it, this is the easiest solution.

i'm thinking that might be the best.  It just seems like a waste to ignore a fireplace, though

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »
If you're renting you should really verify with the landlord the the fireplace has been inspected and the flume has been cleaned (recently), seriously.  Fireplaces are always a great "idea" but never something you end up using regularly, I assume it's an apartment in a building of some sort, carrying cords of wood is no easy task  :P

Offline scb

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 09:11:24 PM »
it's a working fireplace in a 2 family house.  i have the back apartment of this house

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 07:42:06 AM »
you cold always get a DVD of a burning fire to play for ambiance .
:)

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 11:50:36 AM »
I have two fireplaces....one in the living room that I use several times through the winter, and one in the family room that I never use and so have my TV in fornt of it.

It's been done!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline scb

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 03:31:21 PM »
in front of the fireplace isn't an option.  I didn't realize there's a 1 foot slab of rock raised from the floor.  so that makes the stand be at least a foot out from the wall, and that won't work

so it's corner, with no space for speakers, or plasma on the wall.  looking like there's really only 1 option...
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 03:33:35 PM by scott brown »

thepassionofyonder

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 06:13:47 PM »
plasma on the wall.  looking like there's really only 1 option...

Offline scb

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 07:32:56 PM »
not a cheap option

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 01:09:58 PM »
Depending on how the LR connects to the kitchen, you might be able to put it there.  Don't know if it would hose your entrance/exit to the kitchen or not.  And you'd have all the cables and everything sticking out the back, which may require something behind the TV/gear/speakers, like a bookcase, or plants, or some such.  But you'd have the flexibility of arranging chairs and couch(es) to either ignore the fireplace, or incorporate it into the room.  Probably a long shot, and likely not an option since you say it's a small LR, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com